Lyr 2 or Valhalla 2
May 22, 2016 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Relic123

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of senn HD650's, now im confused about what amp to buy. Heard good thing about schitt, that why the two main amps I have in mind is the lyr 2 and valhalla 2.

Schiits official UK distributor do not have the valhalla 2 in stock, so I'm thinking about the lyr 2. Feel free to recommend me other amps, these are just the two I have in mind at this point.

May 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 6
The general consensus is that the Valhalla 2 is better than the Lyr 2 for HD650

May 23, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 6
I would be willing to bet that you nor I could tell the difference in a blind test of which was being used to drive the HD650's between the Valhalla 2  or Lyr 2. 

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 6
I just bought a pair of senn HD650's, now im confused about what amp to buy. Heard good thing about schitt, that why the two main amps I have in mind is the lyr 2 and valhalla 2.

Schiits official UK distributor do not have the valhalla 2 in stock, so I'm thinking about the lyr 2. Feel free to recommend me other amps, these are just the two I have in mind at this point.

Valhalla2 is an OTL tube amp, which is optimized for delivering power into high impedance loads. It has less severe issues driving lower impedance loads, but these compromises are still there, while the Lyr2 as inefficient as it may be when presented a high impedance load still does very well for any modern 250ohm to 600ohm headphone (and hell, also old high impedance headphones with lower sensitivity) while being very capable of driving low impedance, low sensitivity loads.

In short think of it like the difference between a Honda F20C or even the F22C1 engine that would suck if you put it in an Accord while a small block Chevy with titanium pistons and con rods and heavy duty crank only needs a cam reprofile (or not even) going from a Corvette into whatever Chevy might decide to compete vs the Charger with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back