Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #407 of 762
I am thinking of a Hilo for my computer-based home system. But in a review (which I can't find again) and on the Lynx support forum, I found mention that when using the LT-USB card (the Hilo's USB input), the USB cable must be removed and reinserted to change the clock source, and possibly the sample rate. I don't completely understand the implications of this for a home audio system.

1. Have Hilo owners here played various sample rates through USB without the need to do anything special (such as change settings and/or unplug cables)?
  2. Regarding clock sources, I am not sure when and why one would have to switch between internal and external clock sources. Therefore, I don't know what questions to ask!  But maybe someone can give answers anyway. :)

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. The support forum thread is here:  http://tinyurl.com/l53brna  The user is apparently Dr. Uli Brueggemann, author of the "Acourate" room-correction software and an expert on digital audio.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #408 of 762
I am borrowing my neighbor's Hilo and I haven't had any problems playing different sample rates. Got DoP up and running quickly in J. River.

There is Control Panel for the USB in Windows, but I didn't look closely. I think you can change the clock source there maybe? But default is internal clock IIRC.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #409 of 762
Clock source would only be needed if you were recording and wanted to use a master clock or if your source had a clock out and you wanted to bypass the USB XMOS reclock. If you're only listening to music, there would be no need to mess with it. But I'm a noob at this and perhaps haven't experimented enough.

Sample rates are automatic. I've swapped from 48, 96, 192K and the sample rate followed with every change.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #410 of 762
The only "problem" (not real a problem) is that if I want to listen to dsd files, the first thing to do is to set dsd mode to off and then to auto again.
Infact if I don't do such off/on sequence Hilo doesn't reproduce dsd files.
It's strange but even not real a problem.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #412 of 762
Yes... elaborate on which point?

1- Given the Hilo's portable size and battery operation capability, having a multi-interface card (USB, Firewire, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt) would only increase it's portability. Although, I guess you can always depend on someone, somewhere, having a USB 2.0 interface available for connection. However, just for the sake of covering all the bases.

2- I have taken my Hilo to do location recording, used it as a backup recording interface, as a interface to record phonographs, in a live event, as a 'mixer,' etc.. This thing has saved me a bundle of cash. With the Hilo, a laptop, and a good set of mics, I'm good-to-go! Oh! I use it all the time as my main interface for listening to my music collection which sits in my home server. Let's not forget the sound... the sound is exceptional; detailed, smooth, non-fatiguing.

I know this is primarily a headphones community and as I stated before, the headphone out is incredible, too. Although, much of the sound descriptions are subjective, I can say, there probably aren't too many DACs with headphone outputs that can best the Hilo; at least not in its price range.

I hope this brings a little clarification.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #413 of 762
Yes... elaborate on which point?

1- Given the Hilo's portable size and battery operation capability, having a multi-interface card (USB, Firewire, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt) would only increase it's portability. Although, I guess you can always depend on someone, somewhere, having a USB 2.0 interface available for connection. However, just for the sake of covering all the bases.

2- I have taken my Hilo to do location recording, used it as a backup recording interface, as a interface to record phonographs, in a live event, as a 'mixer,' etc.. This thing has saved me a bundle of cash. With the Hilo, a laptop, and a good set of mics, I'm good-to-go! Oh! I use it all the time as my main interface for listening to my music collection which sits in my home server. Let's not forget the sound... the sound is exceptional; detailed, smooth, non-fatiguing.

I know this is primarily a headphones community and as I stated before, the headphone out is incredible, too. Although, much of the sound descriptions are subjective, I can say, there probably aren't too many DACs with headphone outputs that can best the Hilo; at least not in its price range.

I hope this brings a little clarification.

Right on, very cool.

I don't know how good the headphone out in the Hilo is, but I'm confident the DA8 would come out as the winner.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #414 of 762
I have not heard the DA8 but it would be nice if someone could set that up. Hint, hint. I'd love to hear opinions.

For me, the Hilo has a truly accurate system going-on, without being harsh or polite. It's exactly what I needed and what I expect from a pro mixer, DAC, ADC. The fact that the headphone out is also on par with the rest of the unit is a bone.

There were other DAC/head-amp combos I considered (including the Yulong) that may have offered a more luxurious headphone amp stage (emphasis on MAY HAVE) but I would not have gotten all of the other features that the Hilo has to offer. Damn! it's great when you get a great piece of gear that does what its supposed to do, well.

I'm just glad that Lynx appears to be committed (at least for now) to continue to enhance the Hilo. I can't tell you the frustration I've felt in the past when a manufacturer decides to dump a product they've touted as being upgradable and 'future proof.' It's happened to me a few times. I continue to keep my fingers crossed for the remote control feature... that would be great.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #418 of 762
I've tried it with and without a phono preamp. The gain without a phono pre has been sufficient to get a digital recording but then getting the equalization curve dialed-in has been an issue. I use Diamond Cut Productions (www.diamondcut.com) software because of its capabilities. When copying old 78s selecting the proper equalization curve is so important and can make a huge difference in sound. I'm seriously considering one of the KAB phono preamps (www.kabusa.com), I've been looking at them for a long time.

Another plus of using software for recording 78s is you can record at 33rpm (if you don't have a 78rpm TT) and adjust the speed afterwards. Speed variations in older 78rpm recordings is common... they were not recorded at precisely at 78rpm.

If you're copying newer LPs the process should be considerably easier with a decent RIAA phono preamp.

One of the nice things about having a flat recording (without equalization) is you can apply equalization via software and make whatever adjustments are necessary. Once you record via the RIAA curve, you can always remove it (reverse RIAA curve via software) but the end result would depend on the accuracy of the original curve in the preamp.

Whew!
blink.gif
  Oh! the recordings, as far as I can tell are perfect. It's hard to judge on recordings that are so old and in need of so much processing afterwards.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #419 of 762
Thats a very handsome looking analog meter

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #420 of 762
I'm just glad that Lynx appears to be committed (at least for now) to continue to enhance the Hilo. I can't tell you the frustration I've felt in the past when a manufacturer decides to dump a product they've touted as being upgradable and 'future proof.' It's happened to me a few times. I continue to keep my fingers crossed for the remote control feature... that would be great.

Yes on all counts. It pretty clear that for most manufacturers, "upgradable" means about the same as "you might win the lottery."  The main exception I've seen is some of the ultra-expensive items for which an upgrade can be > $5k.  From time to time, the merely expensive hi-fi manufacturers (such as Bryston and PS Audio) have also offered upgrades. I don't know about the pro-audio world.

The remote-control feature would be lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back