Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Jan 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #106 of 762
Quote:
Just ordered one! Excited to get it. I went with the silver face (to match my other equip).

Cool.  Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to play with it.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #108 of 762
I don't think you'll regret it. The headphone amp is sounding pretty good with the T-1s. I'm not getting to hear the DAC outputs until I get my 6s replaced but the T-1s are delaying my sending them out. :xf_eek:

Sorry, welcome to the Hilo club kenwood1.

I have had a chance to use the HE-4 with the Hilo hp amp. With all orthos, it will take what you have to give and give you quality sound in return. I've pushed the hp amp to max volume (slight trim on input sig.) and there is no distortion and no weakness in the audio presentation. No stalling, no collapse of soundstage. The instruments come out of a sound of silence and decay back into that nothingness with no distractions. The 4s don't exhibit the same refinement as the 6s but they sound pretty decent with such a quality signal.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #109 of 762
BTW, I already borrowed a demo model, so I have heard it. I don't know all the features yet and I haven't checked out the AD converter part. 

I have tried lot's of dac's and I would call this dac (i went into my kt88 amp) high fidelity with depth and cleanliness. It sort of reminds me of the simaudio high end dac (around 1.8k) i once heard. I would not say a lot of "air", but clean and trueness in depth to the sound. Most revealing dac's I heard had a mediocre bass response, but the lynx is full bodied and rich. That is one of the things that sold me on it.

The headphone amp (which uses a separate dac) is very "pro audio" to my ears, meaning it has less coloration than my burson (which is also a clean amp). It sounds superb with my q702 headphones, but can be a little fatiguing with bright recordings. I might need to look into some other headphones to darken it up a bit for those times I want to color the sound a little. 

Once I get a new mic preamp I will check out the a-d converter, which should be excellent.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #110 of 762
Best news
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
David A. Hoatson of Lynx Studio Technology demos the upcoming wireless remote control functionality for the incredible sounding Hilo converter. You'll be able to control Hilo from PC/Mac/Android and iOS devices!

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #111 of 762
Quote:
Best news
ksc75smile.gif

BOOM!!! That was one of the only boxes this didn't check for me... Hopefully they can add a bit more functionality to it, but really the volume control is the biggest thing I was looking for (to try it out as a preamp straight into my monoblocks). AWESOME!

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #112 of 762
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The spec for the Hilo says +19 dbu. 0dbu is 0.775V, or 1mW into 600 ohms. This works out to about 80mW @600 ohms (6.9Vrms).

Which would be equivalent to approximately 950mW into the 50 ohm nominal impedance of the LCD-2.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

It may have current limiting though.

I just asked them about that, and the max current output is 250mA. Current limiting shouldn't be an issue with a headphone, unless you can think of one below 30ohms.

As a note, the Hilo's full scale is apparently 19.2dBu. Not that this really matters.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #113 of 762
That takes care of a remote function and I'm sure most functions will be integrated into it as the software wizards get working.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #116 of 762
Feb 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #117 of 762
Feb 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #118 of 762
Living with other headphones has given me a chance to use the headphone amp on the Hilo. I feel very safe in saying that if you were going to build a computer rig of reference quality sound, you can start with the Hilo and not miss anything while you fill out the rest of your rig. The headphone out is as good as advertised and you can live with it until getting a tube amp.......at which time you will have two quality amps of different technology. I've played the RS-1, T-1, HE-4 with excellent results. An upcoming meet will offer the LCDs & HE-500 as well as the HD-800, D7000, the other HEs (5le&6), Sennheiser 600&650s, K/Q70x and others. I've been taking a few of these home to extended listening.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #119 of 762
Can't WAIT to read the impressions from the meet-up!! I'm hoping someone will be able to compare the headphone out to a Violectric, as that seems to be a common benchmark for a top-quality SS headphone amp. Looking forward to reading more of your impressions!! 
size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #120 of 762
Quote:
[...] I'm hoping someone will be able to compare the headphone out to a Violectric, as that seems to be a common benchmark for a top-quality SS headphone amp. [...]

As I've written earlier in an other thread about suitable amplifiers for Denon AH-Dx000 and Fostex TH-x00, I've got a Violectric HPA V200 as well. See full and (normally) updated equipment list in my profile. So far it has seen little use. For quiet some time I've mostly used the Grace Design m903. I will revisit it, but I don't know when. At the moment I'm more curious about other items.

It isn't obvious to me and at least fellow Norwegian achri-d that Violectric HPA V200 is (any) better than the very good and versatile Grace Design m903, maybe the contrary, maybe a question of taste.

In addition to appearing on Head-Fi.org, achri-d contributes in the Norwegian forum Hifisentralen and writes for the Norwegian hi-fi magazine "Fidelity". He wrote about HiFiMAN HE-500 and HE-6 in issue 57, and Audeze LCD3 in issue 59 using several of his amplifiers and headphones for comparison. The magazines can be freely downloaded as PDFs 12-18 months after publishing. He owns some well regarded headphones and amplifiers (see listing in his profile). He has owned or had on loan the Violectric HPA V200 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back