Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Mar 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #572 of 762
Updated last night. I love the control panel being on the computer. Thank you Lynx for a smart update. An analog bypass and the RIAA software for vinyl would be two more for consideration on the next update. Neither of which I have need of but I can see it being handy for the analog world of R2R, TT, cassette, etc.

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #573 of 762
  Lynx has published information about Hilo Version 6 Firmware 

I updated, but found a problem (or I must be crazy) - With firmware v6, all music's pitch increased 1/2 note or 1 note.   I think it is due to playback speed is wrong.  I used a stop watch to measure playback time, I found the playback becomes ~10% faster.    (I didn't dig deeper, but looks like one probable bug can be PC is sending 44.1k, but dac think it is 48k, so there is ~10% difference)
I used foobar2000 and JRiver  via WASAPI, ASIO, DirectSound  same issue.   Downgraded to v5 and music come back to normal.

Update 1:
after rebooting my PC this issue has been fixed.

Update 2:
If Hilo's usb is always connected to the PC, then no matter you reboot Hilo or reboot PC, the problem is still there.
The real fix is: unplug usb, reboot Hilo, then re-plug usb.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #574 of 762
I updated, but found a problem.   (or I must be crazy)       With firmware v6, all music's pitch increased 1/2 note or 1 note.   I think it is due to playback speed changed.  I used a stop watch to measure playback time, I found the playback becomese ~10% faster.
I used foobar2000 and JRiver  via WASAPI, ASIO, DirectSound  same issue.   Downgraded to v5 and music come back to normal.

Update:
after rebooting my PC this issue is fixed.
I agree with you. I'm wondering why all my music is sounding so nasally.

Thank you for that tip. All is right in the world again.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #575 of 762
AWESOMESAUCE!!! Gonna hold off on the update until after I get moved, but now I have something to reward myself with once I get everything done.. An update that gets me a REMOTE!!! WOOO-HOOOO!!!

There just isn't anything about the Hilo I don't love... What a terrific little unit!!!

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #577 of 762
Updated last night. I love the control panel being on the computer. Thank you Lynx for a smart update. An analog bypass and the RIAA software for vinyl would be two more for consideration on the next update. Neither of which I have need of but I can see it being handy for the analog world of R2R, TT, cassette, etc.

If Lynx would update the Hilo with a variable phono module that would allow users select various or manipulate the equalization curve, I would probably get a second one and use it specifically in my hi-fi. I can't overstate the usefulness of such a device. It would open up the Hilo in many audio communities, not only the pro recording market. A little online searching will tell you that phono pre-amps are alive and well. Specialized phono pre-amps, such as for 78s and their wide range of recording requirements via the EQ curve are also available for that niche market.

C'mon Lynx... do it.

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #580 of 762
Several have suggested that RIAA equalization would be useful in the Hilo. I find it difficult to understand the value of that, because phono outputs are generally low-level, and the Hilo (like most ADCs) has line-level inputs -- thus, a phono preamp is needed. Since a phono preamp has its own RIAA equalization, what would be the point of adding it to the ADC?

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #581 of 762
There's two new and interesting threads on the Lynx Support Forum:

In "Call to Action: Hilo Remote for iPad" Lynx asks for users "interested in beta testing the Hilo Remote for iPad application". "This is your chance to use the Hilo Remote for iPad application first, and to have direct input to the development team that are creating the application"

In "Hilo update fails repeatedly" Lynx announces
We have updated Hilo Update for Windows to:

• More accurately detect the Hilo (it now ignores all non-Hilo MIDI ports).
  • Set the USB Streaming Mode to Extra Safe before updating, and restore it to the current value after update is complete.
  • Set the sample rate to 48kHz before updating, and restore it to the current value after update is complete.
  • Clear the pending message buffer just before updating to avoid having any errant messages in the queue from keeping the first packet acknowledgement from being seen in time. 

If you were having issues updating the Hilo firmware, please try the new version and let us know how it goes. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #583 of 762
As you may remember, I had a display problem with my unit that shut me down. The company fixed it and all is good. But with the firmware upgrade to laptop control, this problem would not have shut me down. So I'm glad they came out with the remote control function.

Anyway,

I've come to the conclusion that the Hilo fits in it's price range admirably. There are units with more bass weight, wider soundstage, finer inner details. And some access to many DACs will find better performance for cheaper. So from a shear sound standpoint, the Hilo is overpriced for DAC duty. It's the flexibility as a digital hub that brings the value to the table. I'm satisfied with it enough to stop my obsession with trying to find "the best" and can relax and enjoy. I run my headphone rig, speaker rig, can feed other systems a digital signal, receive my digital sat. feed for TV and music, monitor all feeds in and out with the on board headphone amp, rip vinyl/tape to digital, use it as a recorder interface for field use and just admire the analog needles.

I will be interested in one more check. Using an Offramp 5/6 or other upscaled USB converter to see if it can make the HIlo sound any better. I want to see if it's the USB or DAC that's the biggest influence in it's sound. But to do that, I'll wait for preproman to get one.........:D

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #584 of 762
I just noticed that the firmware has been updated to 6.1, with the following changes:

1. Fixed issue with digital i/o that might cause the digital i/o to not function properly.
  2. Fixed issue with battery voltage display when battery is connected.  Now the Info menu shows if the Hilo is being powered from the "Mains AC" or "Battery" and the voltage of the battery.
  3. Updated About Hilo to show 6.1 firmware and application version.

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #585 of 762
As you may remember, I had a display problem with my unit that shut me down. The company fixed it and all is good. But with the firmware upgrade to laptop control, this problem would not have shut me down. So I'm glad they came out with the remote control function.

Anyway,

I've come to the conclusion that the Hilo fits in it's price range admirably. There are units with more bass weight, wider soundstage, finer inner details. And some access to many DACs will find better performance for cheaper. So from a shear sound standpoint, the Hilo is overpriced for DAC duty. It's the flexibility as a digital hub that brings the value to the table. I'm satisfied with it enough to stop my obsession with trying to find "the best" and can relax and enjoy. I run my headphone rig, speaker rig, can feed other systems a digital signal, receive my digital sat. feed for TV and music, monitor all feeds in and out with the on board headphone amp, rip vinyl/tape to digital, use it as a recorder interface for field use and just admire the analog needles.

I will be interested in one more check. Using an Offramp 5/6 or other upscaled USB converter to see if it can make the HIlo sound any better. I want to see if it's the USB or DAC that's the biggest influence in it's sound. But to do that, I'll wait for preproman to get one.........
biggrin.gif

I have found the Hilo to be very true to the source, and in that respect (in my opinion), it outperforms many of it's competitors, some, grossly overpriced. What I can't quite figure-out is how it achieves a sense of non-fatigue(ness) which allows for extended listening sessions despite being detailed in it's sound.

There are DACs/headphone amps with greater weight in the bass or more 'air' in the high end. There are a number of units that have an incredible mid-range presentation too, however, I find the Hilo has achieved a level of performance and flexibility in a price-point that is hard to beat. From a shear sound point of view, I find the Hilo to be a good value... considering the number of DACs in the unit, build quality, upgradability via software/hardware and lastly, switching capabilities, it's hard to beat.

There are a few up-and-coming units that are worth watching but I don't think I'll be letting go of my Hilo anytime soon.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back