Luxury & Precision LP5 Australasian Tour
May 4, 2015 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
Tour is almost ready to get underway.

Participants and potential timing

Approx date               Head-Fi Name               Name                City/Area                      
W/C May 11thdaduyYudiWellington, NZ
W/C May 18thpiksnzSayanAuckland, NZ
W/C June 2ndwyd4ScottMelbourne, AUS
W/C June 9thWhite LotusMattMelbourne, AUS
W/C June 16thd marc0MarkMelbourne, AUS
W/C June 23rdlin0003DavidMelbourne, AUS
W/C June 30thLoquahLachlanMelbourne, AUS
W/C July 7thsvyrVladSydney, AUS
W/C July 14thH20FidelityLukeSydney, AUS
W/C July 21stReturn to NZ  

Tour rules

1 x Luxury & precision LP5 Gold.

My review is here : - http://www.head-fi.org/products/luxury-precision-lp5-32bit-dsd-portable-lossless-music-player/reviews/13030
Thread with technical info : - http://www.head-fi.org/t/762975/luxury-precision-lp5-32bit-dsd-portable-lossless-music-player-with-akm-ak4414-wooden-backplate-silver-gold-version

Known Issues
- the unit I have does not have working sdxc (so no external), but does have onboard 64Gb
- some of the prospective future features (use as DAC) aren't enabled in the firmware yet - but they are being worked on

Pros
- sounds pretty darn good
- will drive full sized headphones

Rules
- posted review on product page (see link above)
- 7 days at your place max, then move it on
- this will be an Australia/NZ tour
- either direct hand-off (if in same city) or tracked courier

You're welcome to leave impressions in this thread, or use it for general discussion during the tour.  Also JohnYang (who organised the sample from Mr Wan) will keep an eye on the thread and let you know if there are firmware updates during the tour - and how to apply them.

If there are any questions, you can PM me, or just ask them in this thread.

Enjoy it lads - I'm going to really miss it when it leaves at the end of the week!

May 4, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 13
Location, status and review links:

Unfortunately due to personal reasons, Sayan has had to opt out - but I'll arrange another chance for him later in the year.

May 4, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 13
Awesome! Looking forward to it...

May 4, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 13
No problem.  How about if the Melbournites get a PM amongst the 5 of you and work out best timing - then just let me know, and I can amend the order.  Saves me chasing.

May 7, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Should be ok, but I'll have to see closer to the date how my exams are coming along. 

If someone else is desperate for a spot I'm happy for them to take mine. 

Thanks Paul. 

May 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 13
Yudi's review has just been posted : http://www.head-fi.org/products/luxury-precision-lp5-32bit-dsd-portable-lossless-music-player/reviews/13206

May 25, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 13
Just a heads-up.  Likely now that the tour may not go ahead (possible amendment to ToS regarding manufacturers who aren't sponsors, and review units/tours etc)

I'm happy for the units to still go to those who want a quick listen - just let me know if still interested.  No review necessary now.  I'd like everyone to take max two days with the unit now though, so I can get it back to NZ.  As soon as it's back, I'll then contact John to see about returning the unit to L&P.

If anything changes I'll be in touch.

May 25, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for letting us know Brooko.
You may take me off the list for the mean time.

I hope things will turn out ok in the end.

May 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 13
JUst some disjointed thoughts since we aren't doing reviews.

Well I am not sure how much I can discuss it, however I have had a listen to the unit after spending about 10 minutes just looking at it.
This DAP looks better in person than the pictures can portray.

Let me just say, this DAP is all about the experience.  It is not about industrial design, Spaceships and toasters.  It makes me want to find a quiet corner in my house (still looking for one, they seem to have disappeared with a 2yo in the house), get a glass of whiskey, press play and zone out in the classiest way possible.
For this I LOVE this dap.

Though there appears like something is missing, the front seems too minimal, too sparse.  The build and wood finish is amazing however.

The sound as best as I can describe is very smooth, but not so much so that you have to focus to pick up the details in the upper register.  There is still plenty of detail, however in comparison to Plenue P1 I have with me at the moment, it is smoother.

It has nice bass impact, it has pretty good extension and a bit of a mid bass boost, but not overly so.
The mids sound great, smooth, textured with plenty of body.

This is where I got a bit so-so on the sound.  There is plenty of detail in the upper register, but it seems disconnected from the rest of the presentation (you might not agree).
It is kind of like, this amazing, nice lush, bass through mids, then nothing, then treble.

Overall though I am being fairly picky.

The sound is spacious, which is nice considering the signature it follows would trend towards intimate usually.  It is able to connect with me on an intimate level (nothing suss) yet still throw a decent sound stage in both depth and width.
Separation is decent, though it did get a LITTLE congested on some tracks, however no more or less than any other portable including the Alien, HM901, AK100ii.  It is hard to say but the Plenue P1 MIGHT just have it over the LP5 Gold in separation.

Regarding the UI.  I quite like it.  Yes it lacks a lot of features that other DAPs have by default, however its snappy in its operation (the V level meter is useless haha, but that is just GFX).  I havent had a lag, lull or otherwise and it is easy to navigate.

Overall I like the unit and I think if it were $700-$800aud I would have one in my draw.  Heck even at $1100aud I might bite, but at $1200usd I would be hesitant with the other options in that range offering similar sound quality in a more portable/practical package.

Very nice, unique experience though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back