Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #3,286 of 5,290
I have S1 and upgraded to W2 much preferring its sound: can provide more specific details comparing these two if you have any questions.
Hi Vanez,

Yes, would be great to know how the W2's sound is an upgrade.. Is it more power? More bass volume/definition? Soundstage separation? Clean dark background? Lack of RFI/EMI noise etc? I only expect to be using it with A&K T8ie MK II + IE800 or IE900 when it drops in Asia, so not concerned about driving a 600Ohm T1 or DT990 etc :p

Look forward your thoughts!

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #3,287 of 5,290
Jun 28, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #3,289 of 5,290
Just ordered the ddHiFi lightning to C, I keep getting random dropouts with the included cable.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #3,291 of 5,290
Just ordered the ddHiFi lightning to C, I keep getting random dropouts with the included cable.
Good choice and yep that's a known issue with W2

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #3,295 of 5,290
Hi Vanez,

Yes, would be great to know how the W2's sound is an upgrade.. Is it more power? More bass volume/definition? Soundstage separation? Clean dark background? Lack of RFI/EMI noise etc? I only expect to be using it with A&K T8ie MK II + IE800 or IE900 when it drops in Asia, so not concerned about driving a 600Ohm T1 or DT990 etc :p

Look forward your thoughts!
I could compare these in more details later, in a nutshell:
  • Little to no EMI
  • Much more details
  • Greater power not only for HPs but also for many IEMs which scale well with a source (e.g. Sony, UM 3DT etc)
  • Better layering
The only major con except cost is much higher power consumption, though everything has its price.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #3,296 of 5,290
To add to my own post on the sound of the W2 :)

Yesterday it sounded wonderful with Sultan and Elysium. Which was day two (2 days ago was with Traillii) of W2 sounding better than tolerable.

I can report today that the W2 is also better than tolerable today with Odin and Zephyr Prestige. Two very contrasting IEMs. Odin being impactful and tight. Zephyr being smooth and dreamy but still with good detail. W2 does them justice very well. Which says a lot since they both have a DD and Odin has Estats going on also which require power IMHO to sound their best.

I am very happy with, for unknown reasons, the evolution of the W2 from being tolerable to better than tolerable. All that from such a small device.
And now let my reply to my reply and make this my third and final post on sound quality of W2. I was finally able to A/B W2 and DX300. DX300 and W2 were through Tidal with CD/Redbook sound quality using 4.4 balanced. W2 was through my MacBook Pro using an Anker 12 inch USB C to USB C cable.

I did this with three IEMs from easy to drive to hard to drive. Baby Bear (Katana), Mama Bear (Odin) and Big Daddy Bear (Elysium).

In my last two posts I talked about how when I first got the W2 the sound was tolerable. That alone is a huge step for a dongle DAC/Amp. First time ever for me and I have dated a lot of dongle DAC/Amps. Then over time whether due to brain burn or burn in the sound became more than tolerable. That is when that tingly feeling started and I knew the relationship could go deeper. Anything less than tolerable has to have a break up at some point. Anything tolerable is tolerable and maybe I will continue the relationship based on functionality vs. our needs as a couple. Well more than tolerable is something to post about :)

The DX300 is more than tolerable for me. It is detailed but not clinical. It is for me a very engaging DAP and the functionality is superb. After A/Bing with the three IEMs, overall I can say that the W2 competes. That really is all that has to be said. That to me is monumental. A little thing that competes with a very good DAP. Hallelujah!

I did not hear a difference in quality with and easy to drive Katana. With Odin there was a minimal difference in separation of notes but nothing to write home about. Odin bass with both were excellent. With Elysium the W2 is engaging and enjoyable but there was more of a difference in the thickness of the notes and the separation of the notes. But again really not much to worry about. I was expecting less out of the hard to drive Elysium.

In general I did find the W2 to be a little more clinical than the DX300. Maybe a little more bright and the notes were more on the thinner side. That to me is just a different flavor and not less quality.

I find the W2 to be engaging and I feel that I am not missing out on quality of sound. Those are EXTREMELY important to me with sources and IEMS.

I may end up posting someday out of frustration when there is an update that seems important to my needs. I would then have to go out to bars and befriend someone that has a PC and then get their digits and then take the effort to get to know them enough so that they are comfortable letting me use their PC to update my W2. That sounds exhausting but could be an adventure.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #3,297 of 5,290
And now let my reply to my reply and make this my third and final post on sound quality of W2. I was finally able to A/B W2 and DX300. DX300 and W2 were through Tidal with CD/Redbook sound quality using 4.4 balanced. W2 was through my MacBook Pro using an Anker 12 inch USB C to USB C cable.

I did this with three IEMs from easy to drive to hard to drive. Baby Bear (Katana), Mama Bear (Odin) and Big Daddy Bear (Elysium).

In my last two posts I talked about how when I first got the W2 the sound was tolerable. That alone is a huge step for a dongle DAC/Amp. First time ever for me and I have dated a lot of dongle DAC/Amps. Then over time whether due to brain burn or burn in the sound became more than tolerable. That is when that tingly feeling started and I knew the relationship could go deeper. Anything less than tolerable has to have a break up at some point. Anything tolerable is tolerable and maybe I will continue the relationship based on functionality vs. our needs as a couple. Well more than tolerable is something to post about :)

The DX300 is more than tolerable for me. It is detailed but not clinical. It is for me a very engaging DAP and the functionality is superb. After A/Bing with the three IEMs, overall I can say that the W2 competes. That really is all that has to be said. That to me is monumental. A little thing that competes with a very good DAP. Hallelujah!

I did not hear a difference in quality with and easy to drive Katana. With Odin there was a minimal difference in separation of notes but nothing to write home about. Odin bass with both were excellent. With Elysium the W2 is engaging and enjoyable but there was more of a difference in the thickness of the notes and the separation of the notes. But again really not much to worry about. I was expecting less out of the hard to drive Elysium.

In general I did find the W2 to be a little more clinical than the DX300. Maybe a little more bright and the notes were more on the thinner side. That to me is just a different flavor and not less quality.

I find the W2 to be engaging and I feel that I am not missing out on quality of sound. Those are EXTREMELY important to me with sources and IEMS.

I may end up posting someday out of frustration when there is an update that seems important to my needs. I would then have to go out to bars and befriend someone that has a PC and then get their digits and then take the effort to get to know them enough so that they are comfortable letting me use their PC to update my W2. That sounds exhausting but could be an adventure.
Second that, I had similar feelings on these shared earlier

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3,298 of 5,290
Plug from Amazon to cap the port not being used. I think it looks cleaner.

9870BB61-FF65-4DFB-AEDF-F6640E2A6807.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back