Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 4, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #2,251 of 5,290
What would pair best with the W2 - Sony IER Z1R or UM MEST MK II?
this may be a somewhat annoying answer, but fwiw, I would caution you against asking the question in those terms. You should pick the IEMs that make the most sense for your personal taste, the music you listen to, whether they fit your ears (a real consideration with the IER Z1R according to many), price, etc; not based on a pairing with an amp. The W2 will work great with both—it's a super nice dac/amp. But it is by far the less important part of the audio chain compared to the transducers you are using.

(And while I would definitely not take my answer as any evidence about this as I am way less experienced than almost everyone else who might chime in, I think the answer to the actual question is that there is neither of really pair better with the w2 than the other, especially not in the absence of knowing more about what kind of sound you prefer.)

May 4, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,252 of 5,290
Since it was asked but not answered in page 146 I think. The latest version for W2 was and most likely still is (date 18/03/2021) V1.0.2.1 bin. Only change was that they included a special setting for an IEM but rest remained the same as far as I recall.

May 4, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,253 of 5,290
Since it was asked but not answered in page 146 I think. The latest version for W2 was and most likely still is (date 18/03/2021) V1.0.2.1 bin. Only change was that they included a special setting for an IEM but rest remained the same as far as I recall.
V1.0.2.0 is apparently the same as .1. And yes the changes are very minor.

May 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,254 of 5,290
this may be a somewhat annoying answer, but fwiw, I would caution you against asking the question in those terms. You should pick the IEMs that make the most sense for your personal taste, the music you listen to, whether they fit your ears (a real consideration with the IER Z1R according to many), price, etc; not based on a pairing with an amp. The W2 will work great with both—it's a super nice dac/amp. But it is by far the less important part of the audio chain compared to the transducers you are using.

(And while I would definitely not take my answer as any evidence about this as I am way less experienced than almost everyone else who might chime in, I think the answer to the actual question is that there is neither of really pair better with the w2 than the other, especially not in the absence of knowing more about what kind of sound you prefer.)
Very good reply - I refrained from answering the chaps question as the W2 was largely irrelevant in the point. They’ll both pair well - but that says nothing whether either are actually right for the person

May 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #2,255 of 5,290

Appreciate the response and agreed 100% I’m familiar with both IEM’s and just wanted to know if there would be better synergy with one or the other. Glad to hear both should pair well with the W2.

May 4, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #2,257 of 5,290
Hello,

I am just curious about someone here using W2 as DAC alone feeding an amp through a cable like 4.4mm to 2 XLRs.
I have the same interest as well. Right now I have the Earmen Sparrow which I'm quite happy with but considering the W2. I have a Romi BX-2 Plus amp on the way. Currently somewhere between Hong Kong and Michigan, USA. At least for starters I plan on running Android/UAPP and Amazon HD into the dac with an on-the-go cable. And then a balanced TRRS cable between the dac and headphone amp. I'm probably worried about a non-issue, but I never have liked the idea of two volume controls. Does anyone know if it's possible to set the volume out of my phone at an optimal fixed level and use only the volume control on the amp? Maybe I could set the voltage out of the dac at 4 or 4.4 volts at the balanced output with a multimeter and then deactivate the volume control in the app. Does this seem to make sense? If not, don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take it

Edit:
I may also try this with my power amp in my stereo room, so if anyone can answer the question before mine it would also help me. Thanks

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,258 of 5,290
Hello,

I am just curious about someone here using W2 as DAC alone feeding an amp through a cable like 4.4mm to 2 XLRs.
The W2 does not have a line out option; so if you are getting an analogue signal out of the unit, it will always have gone through the amp phase of the circuit. (Put another way, there is no way to bypass the amp and just use it as a dac.)
I have the same interest as well. Right now I have the Earmen Sparrow which I'm quite happy with but considering the W2. I have a Romi BX-2 Plus amp on the way. Currently somewhere between Hong Kong and Michigan, USA. At least for starters I plan on running Android/UAPP and Amazon HD into the dac with an on-the-go cable. And then a balanced TRRS cable between the dac and headphone amp. I'm probably worried about a non-issue, but I never have liked the idea of two volume controls. Does anyone know if it's possible to set the volume out of my phone at an optimal fixed level and use only the volume control on the amp? Maybe I could set the voltage out of the dac at 4 or 4.4 volts at the balanced output with a multimeter and then deactivate the volume control in the app. Does this seem to make sense? If not, don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take it

Edit:
I may also try this with my power amp in my stereo room, so if anyone can answer the question before mine it would also help me. Thanks
On the W2 there is an option (called "HID Key"—no idea why! Would love to know what it stands for!) to have the volume be controlled externally or not. If it is set to "on", the iphone volume control will control the W2 (and you get all 100 steps if you slide your finger really slowly). If its off, the volume level on the phone does nothing whatsoever to the volume of the device. Same so far with Roon. I can't experiment with UAPP, but I assume it would be the same. (Note if you allow external control, the volume buttons on the device still work—at least with the iphone they'll adjust the phone's volume level with the w2).

Hope that helps!

May 4, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #2,259 of 5,290
Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #2,260 of 5,290
After almost a full work week of flip flopping between this and the S1, finally ordered W2 from Musicteck

May 5, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #2,261 of 5,290
..... Does anyone know if it's possible to set the volume out of my phone at an optimal fixed level and use only the volume control on the amp? Maybe I could set the voltage out of the dac at 4 or 4.4 volts at the balanced output with a multimeter and then deactivate the volume control in the app. Does this seem to make sense? If not, don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take it

Edit:

It is a rule of thumb that you always set the digital volume on the source to max and use the volume control on the last device (usually the DAC/amp) in the chain to control volume.

Also, you won't be able to get 4V / 4.4V out of W2 since the maximum voltage output it has (*high gain) is only around 1.45Vrms for balanced output and about half of that for single-ended output. My suggestion to you is to max out both smartphone and W2 volume, then use the volume control on the amp to control volume, if you want to double amp. If your power amp doesn't have a volume control, then use W2's. If you can't get loud enough volume however, you'll probably need a pre-amp / gain stage between W2 and the power amp.

May 5, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,263 of 5,290
The W2 does not have a line out option; so if you are getting an analogue signal out of the unit, it will always have gone through the amp phase of the circuit. (Put another way, there is no way to bypass the amp and just use it as a dac.)

I have E1DA 9038sG3 with an amp phase and no Line-out option (aka DAC mode). I use it as a DAC to feed my tube amplifier. As It has a 2.5mm TRRS output and lacks grounding, I cannot benefit from it through any source with a connection to the earth like a computer in charge. Only what I use is my phone. BTW, the phone not being in use while charging due to this grounding issue.

I believe a cable (4.4mm to 2 XLRs) and W2 will give a chance to use all sources. So, W2 can be used whether its line-out exists or not, as I did by 9038sG3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back