Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #916 of 5,290
Obviously, a big caveat to the above comment, is the source you are using: some sources can really color the sound so the W2 settings need to be balanced with that.

For reference, my recommendations are based on my source being an iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 with the TIDAL and Qobuz native apps.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #917 of 5,290
Curious if W2 owners find as a neutral or a warmer musical source.

I need something for my laptop to use when I can't use the RME in the den.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #918 of 5,290
Comparing between connect to desktop pc (not notebook) and typical mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, Samsung phone, etc.), Does W2 have noticeably better SQ?
Could any W2 ower answer my question, please?

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #919 of 5,290
Have anyone tried the W2 with 64 Audio U12t?

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #920 of 5,290
I get the best result by connecting my V30's line out (headphone output), to an external amp, such as iFi's xCAN. This is because the V30 has an excellent DAC section which is not matched by the amp section, definitely not up to par, imo.
I meant without connecting it to V30. I own only a V40 now sourcewise. This doesnt work very good with Roon cause of the Android OS mixer issues. . (love Roon though 🙂). So i need a separate dac amp even if i have the LG V40. Therefore i wonder how the different dac/amps you have owned/tried compare to LG V30.

LG V series is so good that i prob never need s DAP as long as i have this phone🙂

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #921 of 5,290
LG V series is so good that i prob never need s DAP as long as i have this phone
You're probably right on this. I only use Roon on my desktop setup, never tried it on the V30. The LG V series has an excellent dac, so all one could add to it is a top level portable amp. On the other hand, a super portable, high quality device such as the W2 might provide the best compromise between sound quality and convenience when paired to an excellent transport/streamer such as a V-series smartphone.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #922 of 5,290
UYou're probably right on this. I only use Roon on my desktop setup, never tried it on the V30. The LG V series has an excellent dac, so all one could add to it is a top level portable amp. On the other hand, a super portable, high quality device such as the W2 might provide the best compromise between sound quality and convenience when paired to an excellent transport/streamer such as a V-series smartphone.
LG With roon is far from optimal cause of Android downscaling/upscaling to 16 bit/ 48khz. Therefore I need a seperate dac amp and wonder how your dac/amps like micro bl etc is compared to lgv30.?

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #923 of 5,290
Has anyone seen any reviews of w2 the last week? China?

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #924 of 5,290
LG With roon is far from optimal cause of Android downscaling/upscaling to 16 bit/ 48khz. Therefore I need a seperate dac amp and wonder how your dac/amps like micro bl etc is compared to lgv30.?
iFi micro BL is a truly excellent and very versatile dac/amp, and hugely powerful. Good companion for the V30, albeit somewhat bulky. That's why for truly portable use I prefer to use the xCAN as amp, which has also a balanced 2.5mm output.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #925 of 5,290
Just to comment on using Roon with the W2... If you are using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc.) as the Roon endpoint you do not have the android mixer downsampling issue.

I’ve been using Roon’s DSP to upsample 44.1 kHz to 176.4 kHz, which the W2 then ups to 32 bit, and the sound for something like an internet radio station streaming at an original source rate of MP3 128kbps is simply excellent. To my ears it sounds the best that I have heard it.

I’m probably breaking all of the DSP “rules” by doing this lol, but I don’t care!

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #927 of 5,290
iFi micro BL is a truly excellent and very versatile dac/amp, and hugely powerful. Good companion for the V30, albeit somewhat bulky. That's why for truly portable use I prefer to use the xCAN as amp, which has also a balanced 2.5mm output.

Thanks and enjoy :)

And yes, xCAN is truly portable and micro iDSD BL is transportable, so less convenient on the go.

EDIT: oops, double post, sorry!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #928 of 5,290
Just bought S1, but it is great to see small DAC/Amp market developing. For all of us who don't want DAP, these are excellent and cheaper alternative. W2 looks great, but S1 sounds very good, is cheaper, and I just trust and support Lotoo as a company. W2 has a lot of power for a small device, that is great factor.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #929 of 5,290
Just bought S1, but it is great to see small DAC/Amp market developing. For all of us who don't want DAP, these are excellent and cheaper alternative. W2 looks great, but S1 sounds very good, is cheaper, and I just trust and support Lotoo as a company. W2 has a lot of power for a small device, that is great factor.
I like too Lotoo as s company, but the W2 has more then just more power. It's sound it is a different level competing with portable music players that cost 4 times more

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #930 of 5,290
I like too Lotoo as s company, but the W2 has more then just more power. It's sound it is a different level competing with portable music players that cost 4 times more
Don't get me wrong, but I have heard famous sentence "It sounds x times better than y times more expensive equipment" million times, so I don't trust those concepts anymore. I believe it sounds very good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back