Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 13, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #902 of 5,290
What I believe @jeffhawke wants to say is that he couldn't detect differences when paired to W2 but could hear with other sources.
What I think is often forgotten is the DAC/DAP synergy with IEMs / headphones with factors like impedances etc
I realized it now several times with my Andros that otherwise good rated players sounded off for me such as DX300 which were excellent with my full size Denons.
In fact I also see a relationship to amp implementation and not only DAC section.
Amp section is hard to minimize in such small dongles to keep up with bigger DAPs.
So that might be a bottleneck for some IEM pairings, for sure it will be for full size gear.
See also reference to pairing with C9 high end Amp.
Why some might ask why pairing a 300 bucks dongle to a 2000 bucks amp, if that really works and scales like 75% of full size DAPs, that will be one of the best absolute high end mobile solutions even for full size gear...
Coming back to W2 alone, I find it excellent with my Andros.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #904 of 5,290
Guys, can anyone compare W2 to hiby R6 pro? Owned this player, I did not like it on sound.

I will compare them very soon. Once I get the W2.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #907 of 5,290
that is good for YOU in fact - so your ears don't hear the difference - you are BLESSED ! I do hear differences between different IEM's and as frustrating as it is- the expensive ones often really sound better in my ears. It is not a perception - i really can sadly hear the difference. If you don't hear the difference you don't need to bother to spend so much money - so 1:0 for you !
It's like food - some taste it and some don't ... nobody can argue on that level really
@crinacle appears to be just as blessed as I am https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #908 of 5,290
What I believe @jeffhawke wants to say is that he couldn't detect differences when paired to W2 but could hear with other sources.
What I think is often forgotten is the DAC/DAP synergy with IEMs / headphones with factors like impedances etc
I realized it now several times with my Andros that otherwise good rated players sounded off for me such as DX300 which were excellent with my full size Denons.
In fact I also see a relationship to amp implementation and not only DAC section.
Amp section is hard to minimize in such small dongles to keep up with bigger DAPs.
So that might be a bottleneck for some IEM pairings, for sure it will be for full size gear.
See also reference to pairing with C9 high end Amp.
Why some might ask why pairing a 300 bucks dongle to a 2000 bucks amp, if that really works and scales like 75% of full size DAPs, that will be one of the best absolute high end mobile solutions even for full size gear...
Coming back to W2 alone, I find it excellent with my Andros.
Thanks pal, but in fact I don't own the W2 (yet), I was pairing them with my LPGT

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #911 of 5,290
Thanks pal, but in fact I don't own the W2 (yet), I was pairing them with my LPGT
Lotoo Paw Gold Touch?
Omg, that's supposed to be one of the best DAPs on the market SQ wise.
If you should decide to go for W2 let us know your opinion how much such a DAP scales with your IEM in comparison to W2.
E.g I hear more air and dynamics, even bigger stage and holografy with my DX220 max compared to W2 but that's a brick with the weight of a desktop device. Nothing for on the go.
Besides different DAC chips I believe the class A amp implementation on DX220 Max is responsible for that difference even audible for IEMs and not only full size gear.
If anyone in this thread is having a nice headphone amp I am very interested in how W2 scales when connected through balanced out...

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #912 of 5,290
Lotoo Paw Gold Touch?
Omg, that's supposed to be one of the best DAPs on the market SQ wise.
If you should decide to go for W2 let us know your opinion how much such a DAP scales with your IEM in comparison to W2.
E.g I hear more air and dynamics, even bigger stage and holografy with my DX220 max compared to W2 but that's a brick with the weight of a desktop device. Nothing for on the go.
Besides different DAC chips I believe the class A amp implementation on DX220 Max is responsible for that difference even audible for IEMs and not only full size gear.
If anyone in this thread is having a nice headphone amp I am very interested in how W2 scales when connected through balanced out...
Yes, the LPGT is a great DAP in terms of sound quality, power, and ticks many of the right boxes. However, when it comes to sheer mobility I'd like to have something light and versatile to carry around where I can also use Tidal or Qobuz, and that's why I am looking at the W2. I have an LG V30, which has an excellent DAC and system chip, but seriously lacks slam, so I'm hoping that a W2 would overcome these shortfalls whereby I would use the V30 as pure transport and streamer, even without Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #913 of 5,290
Yes, the LPGT is a great DAP in terms of sound quality, power, and ticks many of the right boxes. However, when it comes to sheer mobility I'd like to have something light and versatile to carry around where I can also use Tidal or Qobuz, and that's why I am looking at the W2. I have an LG V30, which has an excellent DAC and system chip, but seriously lacks slam, so I'm hoping that a W2 would overcome these shortfalls whereby I would use the V30 as pure transport and streamer, even without Wi-Fi.
well I cannot really comment on your IEMs as I only have the Andro Golds but just listening to Tidal on Uapp and Tidal native app on my Motorola Android phone.
That's honestly even more transparent than iPhone with nice stage and holography, bass is hitting hard with the right tracks.
Just listening to some rap and RnB just for the sake of it and it can hit hard and dry, bass is not muddy but defined , vs more veiled, less holography and hitting more wet with S1

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #914 of 5,290
Best SQ setup for me so far using UApp for Rock and Heavy Metal on Tidal:
- upsampling everything to maximum bit rate
- settings:
EQ: Normal
Filter: NOS
Tone: 2, if presentation, voices getting too striking: 1

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #915 of 5,290
What W2 settings do you use to listen to EDM (if any of you are listening) with your IEMs? For my ears sounds good EQ: normal, FLT: LL fast, Tune: 02
I love EDM. So for my gear, these are my settings on the W2 for EDM: (EQ:Normal and 4.4mm for all):
IER-Z1R: Gain: High; FLT: Fast; Tune: 02
MDR-1A: Gain: Low; FLT: Fast; Tune: 02
IER-M9: Gain: High; FLT: LL Fast; Tune: 02
MDR-Z1R: Gain: High; FLT: LL Fast; Tune: 01

The filters on the W2 make bigger changes than on other gear I have (based on AKM and ESS chips). So I really have to listen closely and match the filter with the IEM/phones I’m using. For my IER-M9 I like the LL Fast filter, like you mentioned: it brings more bass to those BA IEMs. So yes, your settings seem great for EDM if your IEMs are BA (balanced armature) based. For my dynamic driver/hybrid IEMS and efficient dynamic-driver cans (IER-Z1R, MDR-1A) I find the LL Fast Filter is too boomy in the bass region, so I prefer the “Fast” filter.

I like Tune 02 with all my IEMs/cans except the MDR-Z1R (Tone 01 tames a treble problem I hear on the MDR-Z1R): I have a love/hate relationship with the MDR-Z1R cans. When I can dial them in correctly with EQ/filter-settings they are the best thing I own, so with the W2, the Tone 01 setting works best with them, and an “LL Fast” filter adds bass deepness (due to the reduced pre-ringing, but added post-ringing/reverb effect).

In summary, I find if your phones are thin sounding, FLT: LL Fast will help; if your phones are harsh in the upper treble or have sibilant female vocals, Tone 01 will help. Otherwise, I find the best setup to be FLT: Fast, Tone 02.

Hope that helps. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back