Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3,241 of 5,290
A correction from my side. The included clip (to be attached to the phone) has no magnets in it. It is just a piece of metal so that the magnets in the W2 case can adhere to it.
Unfortunately that makes it difficult to use wireless charging on your phone, even when you are not using the W2.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #3,242 of 5,290
Unfortunately that makes it difficult to use wireless charging on your phone, even when you are not using the W2.
Indeed. I assume that if you are using iPhone 12, they would not be an issue with built-in magnets. Need to try with other phones, but any phone with metal frame could work.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #3,246 of 5,290
I have had the W2 for a little over a week. I had a lot of Dongle amp/dacs when I was a 3.5 single ended guy. Once DAPS started coming out with 4.4 and smooth streaming and downloading of Tidal music, I moved to DAPS and a balanced desktop set up.

My Hiby R5 was my "I could drop it, lose it or have it stolen and the world would not end" OTG music device. Well I had allowed my daughter to use the R5 as she wished and I would use it as needed. I knew very well it would eventually be misplaced and now it is misplaced. Therefore I had a reason for a W2 since I had been waiting for a dongle dac/amp with two chips and 4.4. W2 fits that bill. The first few days it sounded fine and better than any small dongle dac/amp I had tried. It sounded similar to the S1 when I had it for a week. The sound was easily discernible as not as dynamic as my DX300 or Jotunheim out of balanced. Which is to be expected.

Yesterday i used the W2 with the Traillii for the first time. Very mild degradation of dynamics. Very tolerable and actually enjoyable. Well today I have been listening to the Elysium with the W2 and also the Sultan. They both also sound really good and enjoyable. I would need to A/B with my DAP or desktop amp/dac to be able to hear the differences. That is an amazing progress in how well it sounds.

Could it be brain burn? Most likely. Is there burn in with the W2? Not sure.

I do not like when something sounds of less quality than something else I have. The first couple days the W2 sounded good but I knew it would have bothered me too much over time versus the quality of the DAP and desktop I have. As of yesterday, I am not thinking in the back of my mind "this is fine but only a tolerable fine". This is day two of it being dynamic and enjoyable. I will bring it to work tomorrow with a couple other IEMs and see if the magic continues.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #3,247 of 5,290
I have had the W2 for a little over a week. … The first few days it sounded fine and better than any small dongle dac/amp I had tried. It sounded similar to the S1 when I had it for a week. The sound was easily discernible as not as dynamic as my DX300 or Jotunheim out of balanced. Which is to be expected.

Yesterday i used the W2 with the Traillii for the first time. Very mild degradation of dynamics. Very tolerable and actually enjoyable. Well today I have been listening to the Elysium with the W2 and also the Sultan. They both also sound really good and enjoyable. I would need to A/B with my DAP or desktop amp/dac to be able to hear the differences. That is an amazing progress in how well it sounds.

I do not like when something sounds of less quality than something else I have. The first couple days the W2 sounded good but I knew it would have bothered me too much over time versus the quality of the DAP and desktop I have. As of yesterday, I am not thinking in the back of my mind "this is fine but only a tolerable fine". This is day two of it being dynamic and enjoyable. I will bring it to work tomorrow with a couple other IEMs and see if the magic continues.
Good write-up and mirrors many of my first impressions. For me, every now and then I start to wonder if my other kit would sound better for this song. So I’ll start doing some a/b’ing. I always end up finding the W2 is just so clean in it’s reproduction of the music that a DAC/amp with more distortion or coloring might initially sound more pleasant; but, when switching back to the W2 I’m just floored by how good it sounds. I think it’s just denial: I’m sometimes having a hard time believing something this small can be as good as my better(?)/more-expensive gear. LOL.

The shear convenience of using this light-weight dongle versus having to keep my mobile DACs and DAPs charged, all while having equal if not better sound, is so refreshing.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #3,248 of 5,290
The last couple days been using the w2 with the new iPad Air. Compared to the iPhone 12 mini the air does drives the w2 a bit better. Found even with the magnetic addon battery the w2i is still draining the 12 mini down fast. Debating on using the iPad for in home listening and iPhone with the cheap apple dongle for dog walking etc.
The w2 weight well attached to phone I feel might may lead to stress on cable and constant needing to replace cable. I’m sure I will reconsider this once the new magnetic w2 case is Available.

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #3,249 of 5,290
Listening to W2 on IPhone / IPad with Traillii for 2 days now without touching my other gear which wasn't the case before with other streaming services like Tidal / Amazon.
Don't know if that has been examined in some other thread meanwhile but imho Apple Music is sounding more analogue, a tad warmer and rounded on upper mids which before became sometimes too piercing with some recordings.
Not the case anymore.

Am seriously considering W2 to remain my only portable setup...
Same with me, my W2 and MSR7b lately: just realized that my hearing changed during last few years and I can't stand elevated midbass on my other gear any more but become much more tolerant to elevated highs, waiting for my 3DT to return from UM repair...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624-092501.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-092501.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #3,250 of 5,290
The last couple days been using the w2 with the new iPad Air. Compared to the iPhone 12 mini the air does drives the w2 a bit better. Found even with the magnetic addon battery the w2i is still draining the 12 mini down fast. Debating on using the iPad for in home listening and iPhone with the cheap apple dongle for dog walking etc.
The w2 weight well attached to phone I feel might may lead to stress on cable and constant needing to replace cable. I’m sure I will reconsider this once the new magnetic w2 case is Available.
I just stick it on with blutack.. works well and can shift it to stick by the side of the phone if I intend to use MagSafe.

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #3,251 of 5,290
I'm using my old iPhone 6s purely as a streaming player now using my main phone as a hotspot, it helps a lot to survive the battery drain. Waiting for 13 series: according to rumors, battery life might be improved significantly, at least on next-gen Pro Max (~20% increase).

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #3,253 of 5,290
Jun 24, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #3,255 of 5,290
I have had the W2 for a little over a week. I had a lot of Dongle amp/dacs when I was a 3.5 single ended guy. Once DAPS started coming out with 4.4 and smooth streaming and downloading of Tidal music, I moved to DAPS and a balanced desktop set up.

My Hiby R5 was my "I could drop it, lose it or have it stolen and the world would not end" OTG music device. Well I had allowed my daughter to use the R5 as she wished and I would use it as needed. I knew very well it would eventually be misplaced and now it is misplaced. Therefore I had a reason for a W2 since I had been waiting for a dongle dac/amp with two chips and 4.4. W2 fits that bill. The first few days it sounded fine and better than any small dongle dac/amp I had tried. It sounded similar to the S1 when I had it for a week. The sound was easily discernible as not as dynamic as my DX300 or Jotunheim out of balanced. Which is to be expected.

To add to my own post on the sound of the W2 :)

Yesterday it sounded wonderful with Sultan and Elysium. Which was day two (2 days ago was with Traillii) of W2 sounding better than tolerable.

I can report today that the W2 is also better than tolerable today with Odin and Zephyr Prestige. Two very contrasting IEMs. Odin being impactful and tight. Zephyr being smooth and dreamy but still with good detail. W2 does them justice very well. Which says a lot since they both have a DD and Odin has Estats going on also which require power IMHO to sound their best.

I am very happy with, for unknown reasons, the evolution of the W2 from being tolerable to better than tolerable. All that from such a small device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back