Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #722 of 5,290
I have iP 12 Pro and my W2 is on the way (somewhere over the ocean), so we will see tomorrow, I hope so...
I could also hear EMI on S1 with my Iphone11Pro and will also report...

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #723 of 5,290
Have no idea why most of the reports about S1 EMI issues are iPhone related, and quite a few people told me they don't hear it with their iPhone 8 but do with iPhone 12 under the same use. But anyway, looking forward to iPhone 11/12 pair up impressions from you guys/gals. Hmm, will have to check what my daughter is using, I got her a new one last year so probably 11, except good luck separating her from iphone/airpods, those don't leave a sight for a minute lol!!!

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #724 of 5,290
Have no idea why most of the reports about S1 EMI issues are iPhone related, and quite a few people told me they don't hear it with their iPhone 8 but do with iPhone 12 under the same use. But anyway, looking forward to iPhone 11/12 pair up impressions from you guys/gals. Hmm, will have to check what my daughter is using, I got her a new one last year so probably 11, except good luck separating her from iphone/airpods, those don't leave a sight for a minute lol!!!
Might be the phone's antennas and reception's capabilities as well as cellular network technology used at a given moment (Edge, 2/3/4/5G, etc.)

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #726 of 5,290
Sorry, never used Roon. And not familiar with LG phones, did hear they have a clean dac implementation, but not much talk about output amp section, though would be shocked if a smartphone manufacturers added anything extra that will drain more battery :)

Too early to jump to a final conclusion, but so far positive first impressions of W2, and I'm usually dealing with flagship daps. Regarding EMI, I never experienced it with my galaxy phones, heard most of the S1 complaints were related to iPhone 12 pro/max.
Thanks! So it seems to do good in comparison to flagships DAPs?

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #727 of 5,290
It’s not just iPhones... I hear the EMI noise when I use my LG v30 with the S1 and several other dongles. But this is only when the phone is using LTE/4G cellular to stream data, not when WiFi is being used for data.

Quoting from one of my posts on another thread:

No EMI detected:
- Hidizs S9
- Hidizs S8
- Helm Bolt DAC

EMI detected. But only when the phone was right next to the dongle, not when over cables
- Lotoo S1
- Minidsp Il-DSP
- E1DA 9038s gen2

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #728 of 5,290
Ok, first of all this is a nice USB dongle and the quality is flawless just like on the S1. You will see in the attached photos how it does compare to S1 size wise.
1.jpg

2.jpg
4.jpg

Not a big fan of the included cables as they remind me of the iPod earphones, but so far so good they do the job.
S1 is 26 gr
W2 is 22 gr, so not only lighter but a bit more compact.

5.jpg

Both dongles are nice and is hard to recommend one over the other. If you need MQA and you don't have hard to drive earphones then choose S1, If you want more power and a better overall sound then W2 would be worth thinking about. Before i describe the sound it should be noted that the W2 does not work! !! with older windows computers. I am using a windows 7 64 Bit laptop and the W2 is discovered in the settings but there is no sound . So unless L&P doesn't fix this, other gadgets may not work, game consoles, etc.
I am disappointed to be honest as i was planning to use it with the laptop also.
I am sure it will work with windows 10 but i cannot test that. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware as they did with the S1 and introduced the UAC1 mode.

The sound:
Now to my ears the W2 is far superior to the S1 . Not only it has more power, but the bass is more defined,and goes deeper , you get a much wider stage and the clarity of the voices is a step ahead of S1. Overall the sound if fuller, and more live if that makes sense. S1 is more intimate, relaxed sound. where the W2 is more in your face with a powerful sound. For such a small usb dac dongle i am very impressed.
Not much i can add at this time as this is based on not very long sound impression. I know many need and listen to MQA, W2 doesn't have it. As for me i am fine with that, because the sound is far superior then the already great S1.
I want only 2 things from L&P to make this perfect usb dongle dac for me:
1. fix the problem and make it work with older usb devices
2.release asap a high quality silicone case as the S1 has to protect this little punchy beauty.
L&P didn't mention but the burn in may improve futher the already awesome sound, if you belive in that.
7.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #730 of 5,290
supported bit rates on MacOS, will be the same on all platforms I suppose
1615470984785.png

First impression: more clarity, bigger stage, holography, more refined bass than S1.
The digital filters make a difference, also switching tone-mode
no EMI so far on my iPhones, will need to test at night, currently lots of meetings unfortunately, working from home office
Audirvana-screenshot, upsampling to 192khz
1615471203538.png

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #732 of 5,290
How does W2 fare with sensitive iems? Im assuming no hiss and by "more powerful" yall are not listening at a higher volume than paw S1
I have Andromeda Gold, most sensitive IEM, 7 Ohm.
Just briefly tested, no hiss, more clarity and stage than S1.
Of course you can run those only in Low Gain
Need to test that more side by side later

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #733 of 5,290
How does W2 fare with sensitive iems? Im assuming no hiss and by "more powerful" yall are not listening at a higher volume than paw S1
There is low gain and high gain. The volume is from 0 to 100 in very fine steps, so no problem at all. "More powerful " means it has a better ability to drive higher impedance headphones.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #735 of 5,290
Are the iem-specifc eq options already available, like the one for Xelento?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back