Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jun 26, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #3,272 of 5,290
Gosh, does Andrew sell it yet?

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #3,273 of 5,290
Jun 26, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #3,274 of 5,290
Gosh, does Andrew sell it yet?
Just buy something else from Andrew and ship them together as a bundle to you. Then, it feels less guilty to pay for that shipping fee. :sunglasses:

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #3,276 of 5,290
I know
Still wondering what that something else is like R01 or R6 2020 😉
No seriously I actually wanted to consolidate and only keep W2 for mobile usage

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #3,277 of 5,290
Way back when I was just a Wildkitten, a wise man told me to always max out the volume on the source amp, then make adjustments on the device your headphones are plugged it to. So as to avoid “double amping, ” and achieving superior sound. Being a bit dense, I never fully understood the reasoning behind this strategy, though in my experience it does sound better. So if a 30-40-year-old, who hasn't been dead a couple of times could explain this phenomenon, I and I'm sure others here will appreciate your comments.
I'm a couple of decades outside the age range, but I'll give it a shot. Technically, you're still double-amping since 2 amps are used in series. By maxing the volume of the first amp, you also maximize the signal-to-noise ratio. All amps make some amount of noise. The second amp is amplifying the noise of the first amp so you want to keep the volume as low as possible on the second amp.

There are a couple of caveats.
  • Depending on the amp, you could be clipping the output. Others have posted that this doesn't occur with the W2.
  • Output from the first amp could be greater than the input max of the second amp which would produce distortion.
hth

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #3,278 of 5,290
I'm a couple of decades outside the age range, but I'll give it a shot. Technically, you're still double-amping since 2 amps are used in series. By maxing the volume of the first amp, you also maximize the signal-to-noise ratio. All amps make some amount of noise. The second amp is amplifying the noise of the first amp so you want to keep the volume as low as possible on the second amp.

There are a couple of caveats.
  • Depending on the amp, you could be clipping the output. Others have posted that this doesn't occur with the W2.
  • Output from the first amp could be greater than the input max of the second amp which would produce distortion.
hth
Which amp are you planning to use?

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #3,280 of 5,290
I've ordered the W2 from Musictek. Hopefully wont take too long to get to the UK. Be interesting to see how it stacks up against my newly acquired Lotoo S1.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,281 of 5,290
Hi McCol,

Yes, please do share impressions :) I'm in a similar situation choosing between the two but the W2 has a minimum 15 day shipping preorder wait time. So thinking of getting the S1 and calling it a day for by IE800; however friends here saying W2 is worth the premium and effort :)

Looking forward to your review and impressions!

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,283 of 5,290
Hi McCol,

Yes, please do share impressions :) I'm in a similar situation choosing between the two but the W2 has a minimum 15 day shipping preorder wait time. So thinking of getting the S1 and calling it a day for by IE800; however friends here saying W2 is worth the premium and effort :)

Looking forward to your review and impressions!
I have S1 and upgraded to W2 much preferring its sound: can provide more specific details comparing these two if you have any questions.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #3,284 of 5,290
Okay Guys, lov4 the sound of the W2, but what's with the playing great then suddenly becoming distorted, only fix I've found is disconnecting the W2 from the cable and starting it up again. Plus, is true you can only on Windows (that's so 1990s!)?

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #3,285 of 5,290
Okay Guys, lov4 the sound of the W2, but what's with the playing great then suddenly becoming distorted, only fix I've found is disconnecting the W2 from the cable and starting it up again. Plus, is true you can only on Windows (that's so 1990s!)?
I used W2 on iPhone, Android, and macOS. It's work well without any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back