Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 14, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,461 of 5,290
Like all my purchases in the past year i did not 'need' this. I check new posts every once in a while to see if any new topics interest me. I saw this thread sunday, read a few posts, quick research and ordered the w2 right away.

Mind you, like many of you, i have an over abundance of devices and choices already including:

Btr 3 - backup yard work device
Btr 5 - yard work device, samsung s10, flac, sony mdr-7506

At work magni modi with 3 choices of input
Usb from above phone
Cowan plenue mark ii
Fiio x7.

The plenue is also my fall asleep device with Dunu dk-4001

So, i really did not need this. Arrived today, plugged into phone, swap dunu input to 4.4 and wow. Grateful Dead 5//22/77 SBD, Help on the way and right away can hear this is as good as, if not better than the Cowan.

Probably will just leave cowan at work like the x7 and this will be the new goto for portable listening.

Will check later if these can acceptably drive the Aeon 2 Closed and this will be my end game, right?

I ordered the new iemagni yesterday to replace the work magni (and a bifrost 2 3 weeks ago to replace the home bifrost)

May 14, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,462 of 5,290
May 15, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,465 of 5,290
I have been listening to the W2 for 4/5 days now and my two cents regarding its sound quality/ signature: it's very, very close to that of the iBasso DX 160. I own the 160 and the W2 has the exact same Cirrus Logic 43198 *2 dac chip implementation. The sound in both devices can best be described as warmish neutral, and both complement somewhat brighter iems such as the FD5, which I paired with. Note that I was using the 4.4 balanced output on W2 & 160, + FiiO stock cable. IMO, if the W2 sq ($299) is (almost) at par with the 160 ($399), it's not a bad thing at all! Sq from the W2 3.5 mm/ SE output is surprisingly good, though not as refined or nuanced as in the 4.4mm, which is more powerful.
W2 vs. Lotoo PAW S1 ($165): The W2 delivers a more enjoyable and immersive aural experience in almost all meaningful parameters. It should, given the price divide. That being said, the S1 is undeniably fantastic and it has one ace up its sleeve (if it matters to you) - it does MQA, which the W2 doesn't.
W2 vs. Sparrow ($199): Ah, the Sparrow. It rocks the flagship ESS Sabre 9281 Pro dac chip. Myfavourite portable dac amp so far and let me tell you, the sound from the balanced output from this diminutive birdy will put much higher priced gear to shame. Its single ended output is okayish, nothing earth-shattering. How is its 2.5 mm output compared with the W2 balanced? To my ears, Sparrow has more energy and refinement with better dynamics and treble extension. More textured bass. It has no display, though, no volume control and no pre-sets either compared to W2 & S1. It does MQA.

Pick your poison!

Attachments

• IMG20210515181014.jpg
    IMG20210515181014.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210515181058.jpg
    IMG20210515181058.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #2,466 of 5,290
I have been listening to the W2 for 4/5 days now and my two cents regarding its sound quality/ signature: it's very, very close to that of the iBasso DX 160. I own the 160 and the W2 has the exact same Cirrus Logic 43198 *2 dac chip implementation. The sound in both devices can best be described as warmish neutral, and both complement somewhat brighter iems such as the FD5, which I paired with. Note that I was using the 4.4 balanced output on W2 & 160, + FiiO stock cable. IMO, if the W2 sq ($299) is (almost) at par with the 160 ($399), it's not a bad thing at all! Sq from the W2 3.5 mm/ SE output is surprisingly good, though not as refined or nuanced as in the 4.4mm, which is more powerful.
W2 vs. Lotoo PAW S1 ($165): The W2 delivers a more enjoyable and immersive aural experience in almost all meaningful parameters. It should, given the price divide. That being said, the S1 is undeniably fantastic and it has one ace up its sleeve (if it matters to you) - it does MQA, which the W2 doesn't.
W2 vs. Sparrow ($199): Ah, the Sparrow. It rocks the flagship ESS Sabre 9281 Pro dac chip. Myfavourite portable dac amp so far and let me tell you, the sound from the balanced output from this diminutive birdy will put much higher priced gear to shame. Its single ended output is okayish, nothing earth-shattering. How is its 2.5 mm output compared with the W2 balanced? To my ears, Sparrow has more energy and refinement with better dynamics and treble extension. More textured bass. It has no display, though, no volume control and no pre-sets either compared to W2 & S1. It does MQA.

Pick your poison!
Wow, thanks for the comparisons! This was exactly what I was waiting for to make my decision. Think i'm going to go for an Ibasso DX160 and keep my Sparrow for when I want to use a dongle.

May 15, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #2,467 of 5,290
Could use a little help for a new W2 owner. I did the firmware update to the latest version. I read the manual, but can't figure out how to get into the menu mode. When I hold the small/mode button for 4 seconds, all that comes up is a scrollable list of equalizer presets. What am I missing? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #2,468 of 5,290
Could use a little help for a new W2 owner. I did the firmware update to the latest version. I read the manual, but can't figure out how to get into the menu mode. When I hold the small/mode button for 4 seconds, all that comes up is a scrollable list of equalizer presets. What am I missing? Thanks a lot.
Replying to my own question. It looks like 2 quick clicks of the mode bottom gets you into the advanced menu once you are on the equalizer menu.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,470 of 5,290

Pick your poison!
Yep I remember the oomph of the Sparrow 2.5 out and like my R5s it does have more forward treble. But I like that W2 is so clean and everything is more or less neutral and well integrated into the sound spectrum.
I can't say it's lacking in any area, in fact the timbre of the treble and extension and detail is top notch. And the stage and imaging are really really good, I was listening to a 3d version of pink Floyd's Meddle and the stage was amazing and things (instruments) were highlighted yet still coherent in the mix. On San Tropez, the piano not only sounded more natural but it was way over to the left. I'm also getting no hiss on my sensitive stuff - only one and no emi noise.

Edit: sorry not San Tropez, but it was 'Seamus' that the piano was way to the left. Great album btw if you've never listened to it and you like PF it's a doozy. Listening to Echoes as I type this and it sounds fabtastic, the Hammond B3 is really standing out, so textured and lifelike.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,471 of 5,290

Pick your poison!
Thanks for this great comparison, certainly food for thought. Have you ever experienced any of the reported EMI challenges with your Sparrow?

May 16, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2,472 of 5,290
First time customer with @MusicTeck. Three days from order to arrival and packed safely. Seriously impressive given the time difference and several thousand miles distance

Initial superficial impressions of the W2: like the included cables and USB adapter, no hiss, similar tonality and very close sound with the more expensive Sony WM1A Walkman. The WM1A a hair better separation and piano is more natural. W2 piano notes slightly digital in comparison. WM1A edges the soundstage space (just). Was listening out for differences though, which is not how people actually listen in real use. Tested with Tune 2, no EQ, whatever the default filter is. Transducers in signature

Photo or it did not happen:

20210516_214830-01.jpeg

May 16, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #2,473 of 5,290
W2 on the way. I will compare it to the S1 and the regular outputs on the Hiby R6 Pro using the 4.4mm balanced ports and the Sennheiser IE800S.

May 16, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #2,474 of 5,290
W2 on the way. I will compare it to the S1 and the regular outputs on the Hiby R6 Pro using the 4.4mm balanced ports and the Sennheiser IE800S.
DHL would deliver mine in some hours 🤩

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #2,475 of 5,290
First time customer with @MusicTeck. Three days from order to arrival and packed safely. Seriously impressive given the time difference and several thousand miles distance

Initial superficial impressions of the W2: like the included cables and USB adapter, no hiss, similar tonality and very close sound with the more expensive Sony WM1A Walkman. The WM1A a hair better separation and piano is more natural. W2 piano notes slightly digital in comparison. WM1A edges the soundstage space (just). Was listening out for differences though, which is not how people actually listen in real use. Tested with Tune 2, no EQ, whatever the default filter is. Transducers in signature

Photo or it did not happen:

20210516_214830-01.jpeg
Totally agree with your assessment between the W2 and 1A, especially on tonality. The 1A is warmer at the moment due to me using midnight classic. I'll be trialling FEv2 this week. It is a lot closer than I would have expected and so the W2 eliminates my need (at the moment) for a streamer DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back