Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,321 of 5,290
Want to share some interesting new products, especially for those who are considering purchasing a small dongle like the Lotoo PAW S1.

Update: see post #43 for a first impression! :)

Update 2: see post #180 for English user manual and instructions.

Update 3: see post #304 for firmware version check and firmware update tools.

Since most of the users cannot download FW files directly from their official webpage, I have downloaded these files and then upload them to google drive so that everyone can access them.

General FW Update Steps (only for Windows 7/10 ATM).
  1. Download the FW update package (google drive links).
  2. Connect W1/W2 to your PC.
  3. Install the driver (WHQL_1222.zip and Windows 7 drivers if necessary).
  4. Install and run the FW update tool (ISP_Tool.exe) with FW file (ends in .bin; there are two such files in the package and you can use either of them).
  5. In case the upgrade fails or your W1/W2 is bricked, install this rescue driver.
You only need to install the driver and FW update tool once. For future FW updates, you only need to load the latest FW file to the FW update tool.

Latest FW: W1_V1.0.2.1_AS

• Add the Xelento-tuned EQ
  • Add the Self-adapted UAC connectivity mode
  • Fix W2's balanced DSD output issue.
  • Improve connection stability.
To check your current FW version. Unplug your W1/W2 first. Then, keep holding the shorter of the two bottoms and plug the device into your PC. The device’s screen will display your current FW version.

—————————————————

Luxury & Precision (LP) is launching its Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2; W1 has 1 DAC chip and W2 has 2. For some of you who may be hearing this brand for the first time, LP made its name by producing high-end R2R DAP P6.

Both devices come in two outputs: 3.5mm and 4.4mm. The 3.5mm output is also a SPDIF output, allowing it to be used purely as a DAC and connect with other AMPs.

What is insane about these two products is the crazily low noise levels and huge output power. I cannot post the link to the other forum, but if you are interested just google the product names and you will see the measurements. Long story short, based purely on the measurements, it outperforms many desktop devices... Of course, we will need to wait for the actual products to tell whether it sounds good or not.

Some data for its power level (the third party measured numbers rather than OEM-supplied numbers):
Balanced:
32Ω 235mw
Single-ended:
32Ω: 125mw

W1 retails for 199 USD and W2 retails for 299 USD. Both W1 and W2 are now ready for order! Their advertisements suggest that the prices already include two cables in the box: one USB C-to-C and one USB C-to-lightening.
Trying to do the firmware update but a problem. Running the downloaded Windows files "PW Update Tool" I get a "no device detected" as seen below:
1616372928310.png

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #1,322 of 5,290
Trying to do the firmware update but a problem. Running the downloaded Windows files "PW Update Tool" I get a "no device detected" as seen below:
1616372928310.png
Have you installed the driver first?

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,323 of 5,290
Would you be able to use it with DX160 in a provided TPU case?

Just wondering if the connector extends far enough to accommodate the case:

1616352280648.png

and if there is enough gap on the back for the case as well:

1616352352195.png

Because this one only sold on ali and I never shopped there before, I'm a bit hesitant creating the account and providing them with my cc or pp or whatever they accept as a payment.

.... looks like you answered it above :wink:
Yes ... That photo I posted last that shows it laterally, has the tpu case, and it still fits in another rigid case of the Dx160 and the cases I have of the galaxy note 9 ... As I said, it is a very adapter versatile

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,324 of 5,290
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #1,326 of 5,290
I have scrolled most of the 90 pages and still have not found at least any kind of something similair to comparison between W1 and W2.
I have only found post by twister6 which says W2 is more holographic and W1 is not and that W2 is better while W1 and Lotoo S1 are on the same level.
Can't someone make a more detailed comparison between the two devices? W2 is currently sold out everywhere and is in "preorder" state.
I wonder If I should just buy W1 instead. Thanks

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #1,327 of 5,290
Mar 22, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #1,328 of 5,290
I have scrolled most of the 90 pages and still have not found at least any kind of something similair to comparison between W1 and W2.
I have only found post by twister6 which says W2 is more holographic and W1 is not and that W2 is better while W1 and Lotoo S1 are on the same level.
Can't someone make a more detailed comparison between the two devices? W2 is currently sold out everywhere and is in "preorder" state.
I wonder If I should just buy W1 instead. Thanks
Yep, as most went for W2 this might have become a bit short.
From what I read W1 was described as a tad warmer and less detailed, obviously also having less power, not supporting custom presets for IEMs like Xelento and as far as I remember no sound signature switch "smooth" (1) vs "detailed" (2)
Best to comment would be potentially
@bluestorm1992 who is about to receive a loaner unit
@HiFyAK2020 who is yet owning both

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #1,329 of 5,290
Regarding my previously described sporadical noise issues on my MacBook Pro I think I have identified the source: Audirvana
Playing the native apps such as Amazon Music HD, Spotify or Tidal I am so far not encountering any noise issues when fetching mails or refreshing websites.
I will need to experiment more with that - one reason can be the Audirvana configuration which you can configure to exclusively use system resources for the sake of music optimisation.
When doing that it seems, better use your PC/Macbook only for music playing to not encounter any noise issues (which were not so bad after all but still...)
Screenshot in German, cannot find the language switching option so quickly
1616399869318.png

Happy to receive feedback from other Audirvana users with W2...

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #1,330 of 5,290
Oui, comme la plupart sont allés pour W2, cela pourrait être devenu un peu court.
D'après ce que j'ai lu, W1 a été décrit comme un peu plus chaud et moins détaillé, ayant évidemment moins de puissance, ne prenant pas en charge les préréglages personnalisés pour les IEM comme Xelento et pour autant que je me souvienne, aucun commutateur de signature sonore "lisse" (1) vs "détaillé" ( 2)
Le mieux serait de commenter
[USER = 534973] @ bluestorm1992 [/ USER] qui est sur le point de recevoir une unité de prêt
[USER = 542576] @ HiFyAK2020 [/ USER] qui possède encore les deux

Yep, as most went for W2 this might have become a bit short.
From what I read W1 was described as a tad warmer and less detailed, obviously also having less power, not supporting custom presets for IEMs like Xelento and as far as I remember no sound signature switch "smooth" (1) vs "detailed" (2)
Best to comment would be potentially
@bluestorm1992 who is about to receive a loaner unit
@HiFyAK2020 who is yet owning both
I have updated my W1 and I have preset xelento but not signature Switch. Hifigo has cancelled my preorder for W2 because they didn't have any unit. Beware of them. It would be very interesting to have a detailed comparison Indeed. Because w1 is really awesome and if w2 is better a little or enough to decide me to take it

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,331 of 5,290
So I got mine last week, finally got to use it this evening (after firmware update). I thought I would use the black cable supplied with the S1, however kept having connection issues (phone battery relatively low, could be part of it, although switching to the supplied white cable fixed it without charging first). Very very nice with my FH7. Hopefully get some time to compare Vs the S1 later in the week, but for now I'll just kick back and enjoy. Will try it with some other headphones later.

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #1,333 of 5,290
Many of you asked about why the stock cable of W2 is white instead of black. LP’s CEO just gave an answer. The video is in Chinese, I translate some of the key points.

Video: http://f.video.weibocdn.com/VEFTKeV...1616304337&ssig=T6ZrkhL0Mz&KID=unistore,video

There is a global chip shortage that affects almost all electronic components, including usb cables (there are chips in these cables as well). LP tried their best to secure a special order of the cables but all of them turned out to be in the “default” color of white. LP will try to offer cables in matching colors in future orders of W2, but the situation of chip shortage will continue for quite a while.
Personally, I don't care about the color of the cable, as long as it doesn't color the sound :wink:

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,334 of 5,290
Regarding my previously described sporadical noise issues on my MacBook Pro I think I have identified the source: Audirvana
Playing the native apps such as Amazon Music HD, Spotify or Tidal I am so far not encountering any noise issues when fetching mails or refreshing websites.
I will need to experiment more with that - one reason can be the Audirvana configuration which you can configure to exclusively use system resources for the sake of music optimisation.
When doing that it seems, better use your PC/Macbook only for music playing to not encounter any noise issues (which were not so bad after all but still...)
Screenshot in German, cannot find the language switching option so quickly
1616399869318.png
Happy to receive feedback from other Audirvana users with W2...
Not what you asked, but for managing sound on a Mac, I have found SoundSource to be extremely useful as it can direct the sound of different apps/system sources to different outputs. Plus it can handle any plugins.

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,335 of 5,290
Not what you asked, but for managing sound on a Mac, I have found SoundSource to be extremely useful as it can direct the sound of different apps/system sources to different outputs. Plus it can handle any plugins.
Interesting, concept of a systemwide EQ is beneficial, I will see when I find time to look into that app, look like it has no MacOS BigSur support yet, though they are working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back