Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #991 of 5,290
Has anyone got DSD to work on Windows? I am running the latest version of Windows 10 and system sound and all PCM files with various bit rates work great.

When it comes to DSD the display on my W2 shows the right format DSD 2.4882/5644.8K but there is no sound coming out of the device. This is streaming with DOP from JRiver Media Center. All my other devices seem to work okay with DSD in this configuration.

Firmware version is 1.0.13. Is there a link to the location on the luxuryprecision.net site where they keep the update tool and latest firmware?

Thanks

Thomas

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #992 of 5,290
The W2 brings a tear to my eye. $299 and somehow beat my R6 Pro. Just astonishing. The black background is really helping with the imaging.

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #993 of 5,290
The W2 brings a tear to my eye. $299...
I know what you mean. I have all these battery-powered DAC/Amps that don’t sound as good. For portable use, this is my end-game. I’m done keeping those battery-powered DACs charged. Yeah!

Edit: (Caveat) I do still love my ZX507 and M11 Pro DAPs when I don’t want to run the battery down on the iPhone or iPad.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #994 of 5,290
These DACs/amps look wonderful, the thing that concerns me is their durability and size. I feel like many will forget something so small in their pocket and it will go through the laundry, or be easily lost. Or it just won't be built to last like so many electronics nowadays. Really hoping that's not the case, but this is a hefty investment for a product with a yet undetermined lifespan.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #995 of 5,290
Okay. I got the W2 and I paired it with the UM 3DT. It's very similar to the R6 Pro in terms of overall sound quality. Maybe a smidge better in some aspects like detail retrieval, for 3.5mm. With 4.4mm, it's a smidge better as well. The details in the background have more clarity and are lifted a bit more forward. The stage is slightly more intimate, but that's to be expected with a weaker amp. The transparency is a clear winner over the R6 Pro. The transparency is crystal clear. Like looking through a clean lake. You can see the bottom of the lake. It looks great. Anyway, I highly recommend the W2.

EDIT: The sound signature is similar to the R6 Pro as well, but it's more near neutral with a slightly warm tilt.
Thank you, bro 🤝 So we'll buy 🥳.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #996 of 5,290
For those who asked about using W1/W2 as LO (at max 100 volume) connected to external amp, seems to be working OK. I tested it with Cayin C9 amp and the new @Eric Chong Eletech Iliad 6wire cable (full TRRRS connection, including Ground), and I hear no distortion at all. Of course, it is not a true Line Out from W2, but I have it set to high gain with max volume, and there is no distortion with C9. Sounds really good, actually.

eletech_lliad_6w_IC-11.jpgeletech_lliad_6w_IC-12.jpg

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #997 of 5,290
For those who asked about using W1/W2 as LO (at max 100 volume) connected to external amp, seems to be working OK. I tested it with Cayin C9 amp and the new @Eric Chong Eletech Iliad 6wire cable (full TRRRS connection, including Ground), and I hear no distortion at all. Of course, it is not a true Line Out from W2, but I have it set to high gain with max volume, and there is no distortion with C9. Sounds really good, actually.

How does that c9 sound when playing mqa tracks? Lobe me some tubes

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #998 of 5,290
Mar 16, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #999 of 5,290
Mine arrived today! Hopefully get some time with it once kids down to bed.

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #1,000 of 5,290

What's the player in your photo? Hiby R6 2020? If it's him, can you compare the sound between him and W2?

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,001 of 5,290

Thx alot.
What many might question: is that a serious pairing for e.g. going to office or would you say, leave your phone and dongle at home and pair C9 to a "grown up" DAP like N6 or R6 Pro?
What would you think about serious options for making this nice dongle scale. Will it be e.g. more appropriate to pair W2 with an Oriolus BA300S while we are talking about mobile tube amps?
Also: Is C9-W2 combo even recommendable for IEMs as I have the feeling this dongle is mainly made for IEMs and performing very well with them alone,
respectively would you say that pairing W2 to an amp is mostly recommended for Over-ears-cans only?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #1,005 of 5,290
Thx alot.
What many might question: is that a serious pairing for e.g. going to office or would you say, leave your phone and dongle at home and pair C9 to a "grown up" DAP like N6 or R6 Pro?
What would you think about serious options for making this nice dongle scale. Will it be e.g. more appropriate to pair W2 with an Oriolus BA300S while we are talking about mobile tube amps?
Also: Is C9-W2 combo even recommendable for IEMs as I have the feeling this dongle is mainly made for IEMs and performing very well with them alone,
respectively would you say that pairing W2 to an amp is mostly recommended for Over-ears-cans only?

You can build your audio chain with as many components as you wallet can afford :) On the go with IEMs, just your smartphone and W2 might be all you need. When you are at your desk, it's like a lego building set, add, replace, move around until you find the perfect pair up synergy to your liking. I reviewed C9, full review on my site, and it does enhances the tonality and improves the soundstage (love tubes!), but you are handicapping the portability. And of course, C9 is an overkill in power, but it still works with IEMs. Your W2 output into something like C9 will be adjustable so you are changing pre-amp gain, and further adjust it with C9 volume and gain control. BA300s is just an amp, no volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back