Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 11, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #737 of 5,290
Are the iem-specifc eq options already available, like the one for Xelento?
not yet in the current firmware that's on the device, though I've read that they wanted to release specific eq profiles for IEMs and Xelento was one of the first ones

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #738 of 5,290
Are the iem-specifc eq options already available, like the one for Xelento?
Not yet, only two dsp sound setting for now. And this option is only available on W2, not W1.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #739 of 5,290
thanks!

Is it warmer/thicker or colder/thinner sounding than S1? Are vocals more forward or recessed?
my initial first impression matches the impression from user musicday from previous page, must have more time tonight to do A-B

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #740 of 5,290
Comment W2 se comporte-t-il avec les iems sensibles? Je suppose qu'il n'y a pas de sifflement et par "plus puissant" vous n'écoutez pas à un volume plus élevé que la patt
Don't worry. No hiss with my w1 and sensitive iem like my dunu dk2001. It's very good

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #744 of 5,290
Ok, first of all this is a nice USB dongle and the quality is flawless just like on the S1. You will see in the attached photos how it does compare to S1 size wise.
1.jpg
2.jpg4.jpg
Not a big fan of the included cables as they remind me of the iPod earphones, but so far so good they do the job.
S1 is 26 gr
W2 is 22 gr, so not only lighter but a bit more compact.

5.jpg
Both dongles are nice and is hard to recommend one over the other. If you need MQA and you don't have hard to drive earphones then choose S1, If you want more power and a better overall sound then W2 would be worth thinking about. Before i describe the sound it should be noted that the W2 does not work! !! with older windows computers. I am using a windows 7 64 Bit laptop and the W2 is discovered in the settings but there is no sound . So unless L&P doesn't fix this, other gadgets may not work, game consoles, etc.
I am disappointed to be honest as i was planning to use it with the laptop also.
I am sure it will work with windows 10 but i cannot test that. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware as they did with the S1 and introduced the UAC1 mode.

The sound:
Now to my ears the W2 is far superior to the S1 . Not only it has more power, but the bass is more defined,and goes deeper , you get a much wider stage and the clarity of the voices is a step ahead of S1. Overall the sound if fuller, and more live if that makes sense. S1 is more intimate, relaxed sound. where the W2 is more in your face with a powerful sound. For such a small usb dac dongle i am very impressed.
Not much i can add at this time as this is based on not very long sound impression. I know many need and listen to MQA, W2 doesn't have it. As for me i am fine with that, because the sound is far superior then the already great S1.
I want only 2 things from L&P to make this perfect usb dongle dac for me:
1. fix the problem and make it work with older usb devices
2.release asap a high quality silicone case as the S1 has to protect this little punchy beauty.
L&P didn't mention but the burn in may improve futher the already awesome sound, if you belive in that.7.jpg
Ahh. Thats sad! I wonder if it will work with an Raspberry Pi. Hmmm. Hope the sound quality is very very good. The Khadas got everything i need and has a volume dial. Damn. Need to get more impressions from your guys before i decide!

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #745 of 5,290

Attachments

• 64E3B76A-68E9-45A4-809C-99444997515F.jpeg
    64E3B76A-68E9-45A4-809C-99444997515F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #746 of 5,290
Have no idea why most of the reports about S1 EMI issues are iPhone related, and quite a few people told me they don't hear it with their iPhone 8 but do with iPhone 12 under the same use. But anyway, looking forward to iPhone 11/12 pair up impressions from you guys/gals. Hmm, will have to check what my daughter is using, I got her a new one last year so probably 11, except good luck separating her from iphone/airpods, those don't leave a sight for a minute lol!!!

Have not noticed EMI with my iPhone 12 Pro, but it’s only been a few hours of listening.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #747 of 5,290
You did well if you don't have Windows 7 PC or intend to use MQA files.

I have Windows 10 on my PC and I don't really care for MQA.

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #750 of 5,290
Someone could compare w1 and w2 please? I'm waiting for my w2 hifigo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back