Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital Music Player, Available Soon!
Aug 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,368 of 1,603
  Is there an L3PRO thread already?

Why?  Do you want to share your first impression?
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,370 of 1,603
Maybe we should jump over to a L3/L3P thread, so we can keep some firmware links and instruction at first post.

I am not sure if there is going to be a trade in, but beta testers in China mentioned that they would love to pay 1k rmb(150usd) for the build quality and sonic upgrade.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,371 of 1,603
Maybe we should jump over to a L3/L3P thread, so we can keep some firmware links and instruction at first post.

I am not sure if there is going to be a trade in, but beta testers in China mentioned that they would love to pay 1k rmb(150usd) for the build quality and sonic upgrade.

I like the idea of L3/L3P thread.  Not sure if Danny, who started this original thread, is even around to update it.  John, you have done an amazing job with all L&P dedicated threads, and having fw links and instructions on the front page is always a huge plus.

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #1,372 of 1,603
Bad news...

Just received my L3 back from the factory for screen repairs. They also helped me upgrade the firmware to 1.0.0.3.

Now the player randomly shuts down after playing a few songs and takes a while to boot back up. Hopefully it stabilizes but I highly doubt it.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,373 of 1,603
Bad news...

Just received my L3 back from the factory for screen repairs. They also helped me upgrade the firmware to 1.0.0.3.

Now the player randomly shuts down after playing a few songs and takes a while to boot back up. Hopefully it stabilizes but I highly doubt it.

I think it might has to do with the PC they used for firmware upgrade, try reformat your internal memory to FAT32, and load songs again.

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #1,377 of 1,603
So Alex thinks that the wood that came with it is a business card holder and a bookmark thing
Any other guesses? Is everyone getting this?

The only thing I've done so far is put the L3Pro in the leather case and charged it. The leather once again is so incredibly nice, best cases on the market. I did notice the player displaying something like "Not for sale" when shutting down (putting it in the case turned it on), I wonder if this will impact the fw upgrade (like the AK Demo models, which can't be updated the standard way)

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,378 of 1,603
  So Alex thinks that the wood that came with it is a business card holder and a bookmark thing
Any other guesses? Is everyone getting this?

The only thing I've done so far is put the L3Pro in the leather case and charged it. The leather once again is so incredibly nice, best cases on the market. I did notice the player displaying something like "Not for sale" when shutting down (putting it in the case turned it on), I wonder if this will impact the fw upgrade (like the AK Demo models, which can't be updated the standard way)

Just to clarify Lieven's question, review sample of L&P L3 Pro comes with a few curious accessories which to me look like a bookmark and a business card holder.

What I think is a business card holder "pocket" even has springs inside, so the card won't fall out (hard to focus, look inside):

Regarding shut down screen and "not for sale" in red across it, yeah, noticed that too.  I assume with the next official fw update (currently it's at 0.9), they should keep one fw for everybody so this will go away, otherwise will be tough keeping a track of both FWs and making sure demo units are only updated with "demo" firmware.

In terms of new L3 Pro unit, the obvious upgrades are 32GB of internal memory from 16GB in L3.  Also, a better smoother finish of the aluminum with a darker shade, more refined like in L5 Pro.  Buttons have an etched functionality symbol so you can see it with a case on (transport buttons functionality labels were covered with a case in L3).  The volume wheel also has a more refined finish and smoother rotation with clicks you can feel better now.  And, back is replaced with a wooden veneer.

When it comes to sound quality, after 30hrs of burn in and a short listening session, I hear a very subtle change in soundstage width expansion on BAL output and a more noticeable soudstage width expansion on SE output.  I'm also hearing a slight improvement in layering/dynamics, feels like there is a touch more air between layers of instruments/vocals - not a night'n'day change, but more refinement.  I will continue with burn in and monitoring any changes.

Just a general thought, I know some people were confused about Pro version being released so soon, and the value of the upgrade.  Those who got it from IGG for $299 saved $100 off the official sale price of $399 (the price it sold everywhere else).  I think L3 Pro will be more expensive, could be $100 more and here you get double the internal memory (16GB increase is not a big deal for DSD albums - a drop in a bucket, I know, but for a portable DAP with mp3s/flacs - it's a plus to have at least 32GB internal memory and 200GB microSD, especially if you don't use microSD).  There is also refinement in material finish, metal/buttons/wheel/backpanel.  And there is a slight improvement in sound, which could get better (need to test more, this is just my initial impression).

So, those who got the original L3 or the deal of IGG - not sure if there is an immediate urge to sell what you have to upgrade to L3 Pro.  If you are thinking about buying L3 now, I would consider L3 Pro since the difference in price is not exactly diminishing returns in this situation.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,379 of 1,603
Regarding the beautiful wooden business card holder and bookmark, I was told "I think the bookmark and name card holder are gifts to thank hard working reviewers like you, as a token of appreciation", so they are probably not included in the retail version.

Also, another difference between the L3 Pro and L3 on the exterior is that the L3 has a brushed aluminium front whereas the L3 Pro's is matte.
Overall, I think while the etched/engraved buttons as well as slight colour change and different case are just a small difference/change, they make quite a difference when it comes to perceived build quality.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #1,380 of 1,603
  Regarding the beautiful wooden business card holder and bookmark, I was told "I think the bookmark and name card holder are gifts to thank hard working reviewers like you, as a token of appreciation", so they are probably not included in the retail version.

Also, another difference between the L3 Pro and L3 on the exterior is that the L3 has a brushed aluminium front whereas the L3 Pro's is matte.
Overall, I think while the etched/engraved buttons as well as slight colour change and different case are just a small difference/change, they make quite a difference when it comes to perceived build quality.

Thank you Chris for confirmation.  I just got a similar feedback, it was a nice gesture extended to reviewers by providing a wooden bookmark and business card holder.  A very classy touch.

Also, I do agree, going from L3 to L3 Pro has plenty of refinement in build quality alone to justify the extra price, thus my reference that I don't consider it as diminishing return.  The bump in the internal memory and refinement of sound quality/staging is just an icing on the cake.  And I'm not saying this as a reviewer who got "another free sample" but actually speaking from an objective perspective.

Still, I'm sad that touch swiping hasn't been implemented, and I'm no longer holding my breath in getting it :frowning2:  L3/L3Pro has a fantastic sound quality, especially when you are dealing with IEMs/CIEMs and care about black background with sensitive/picky monitors (I absolutely love pair up with Zeus-R which hisses with many other sources) and high resolution sound.  Also, when you are just listening with a display off and navigating using playback buttons, nobody cares about touch swiping since you have play/pause/skip and volume control at your fingertips.  But when you are browsing through a list of files or want to fast forward through a song by swiping forward - that's when you realize the shortfall of L3 touch tapping without touch swiping (the same as with L5 Pro).  The current DAP market is very competitive, and the gap between mid-fi and summit-fi sound quality is not as wide anymore.  Thus, you need these "extras" to distinguish your product from the crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back