Luxman P700u Headphone Amplifier Thread
Oct 25, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #16 of 418
I'm pretty sure that Luxman knows what to do... I'm not opening my amp, that's for sure! = )

Someone could measure it though, from the connector to the chassis, no need to open it.

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 418
  I'm pretty sure that Luxman knows what to do... I'm not opening my amp, that's for sure! = )

Someone could measure it though, from the connector to the chassis, no need to open it.

I hope so! If someone can check with a multimeter, will be nice :)

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 418
005l.jpg

ALSO P-1U 

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #19 of 418
p-1U luxman
Is his sound is the same as P-700U 6.3 ports qualities?

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #20 of 418
Thanks Sonyes, I think they use a virtual ground. I emailed Luxman to get more information about it!

Quote:
  p-1U luxman
Is his sound is the same as P-700U 6.3 ports qualities?

I compared both amp with my LCD3 Fazor and with a Luxman D-08 like source. Both share a similar phylosophy and sound sig (natural, musical with the right quantity of detail for my taste). The main difference are on the vocal, on the P-1U, vocal seems more thin and less textured. Moreover, P700u extend a bit more and he has a bigger soundstage, better separation between layers, more micro-dynamics and a better positionning. In balanced set up, P700u improve even more his dynamic, soundstage size and precision in the positioning.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 418
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6f/100x100px-LS-6f34f939_file.jpeg[/img]
  1. Ony38
Thanks for the information. Construction also shows that they have invested more circuits.
I use the HD800 .
source Marantz SA11 S1 XLR connections.
In your opinion and from your experience with the amp -
will benefit WA22 or another man tubes -
i better than P-1U or 700 -
or I'd rather stick with the P-1U .
or upgrade to 700 or WA22.
I can buy a second hand Delmée a little?????  TUBE OR LUXMAN P-1U/700U
thank you for your reply

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #22 of 418
  I was planning to do a listening room for speakers, but room modes are ruining it totally... Unless a certain DSP device that I'm going to try works, I'm investing in headphone setup again... This "little " amp here is probably my choise.

Point also for me since I'm investigating DSP/Crossfeed devices to enhance soundstage for my headphones setup. Hearing a lot of symphonic music involving large phalanxes.
Where did you research end up ?

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 418

Point also for me since I'm investigating DSP/Crossfeed devices to enhance soundstage for my headphones setup. Hearing a lot of symphonic music involving large phalanxes.
Where did you research end up ?

It ended quite a while ago, resulting in a rather nice headphone setup. No expensive speakers coming to this room. DSPs in anywhere except in car are too much against my philosophy. This apartment just isn't suitable for a good listening room.

Can't give anything to your research. I aim for purity and simplicity and I also don't have any issues with headphones. = /

May 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #24 of 418

I compared both amp with my LCD3 Fazor and with a Luxman D-08 like source. Both share a similar phylosophy and sound sig (natural, musical with the right quantity of detail for my taste). The main difference are on the vocal, on the P-1U, vocal seems more thin and less textured. Moreover, P700u extend a bit more and he has a bigger soundstage, better separation between layers, more micro-dynamics and a better positionning. In balanced set up, P700u improve even more his dynamic, soundstage size and precision in the positioning.

THANK YOU

May 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #25 of 418
Would anyone happen to know how the P-700u compares with P-1 (not P-1u)?

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #27 of 418
In case anyone is interested in the comparison between the P-1 and P-700u:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/LUXMAN-%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9E%E3%83%B3-P-700u-%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97/dp/B00AGOKUFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433566464&sr=8-1&keywords=Luxman+P-700u

I asked my Japanese friends for a direct translation:

I’ll be comparing the P-1 that I used to use regularly for 10 years and the new state-of-the-art P-700u.

Design: P-700u’s blaster-white outer shell appears more high-quality than the gold-plated P-1. However, perhaps because it is so multifunctional, all the knobs and jacks look a bit cluttered.

Sound quality: For the following comparisons, Accuphase DP-78 and the amps were connected via an XLR balanced cable (?), and headphones were connected unbalanced to maintain fair comparison.
  • SACD (EMI, 1976 analog recording) En Saga (Sibelius) played by Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic: On P-1, gentle ripples of the string instruments at the beginning sounds as if they separated to two batches in left and right, wheres on P-700u the sound of the strings extend softly and more sounds are audible, making it sound really like rippling waves at the beach with a 360deg. surround sound. I was surprised by detailed and the fine sound.
  • SACD (2007-8, digital recording) Symphony No. 5 (Mahler) played by Jansons/Amsterdam Royal concertgebouw: On P-1, the full orchestra of No. 5 sounds like a sharp batch that jumps into the years, but on P-700u it sounds like a vast wall of sound that closes in. For a moment I thought the sound pressure went down, but sound comes with an ambience, making the instruments sound much more realistic, and sound quality and quantity vastly increased to the point where I had the weird experience of not feeling like it was loud/noisy even with increased volume, which is to say, it sounded like it would at an orchestra hall.

Therefore, P-700u’s sound tendency is that it is very balanced and doesn’t add its own weird/unnecessary character, but reproduces all sounds evenly and maintains sound quality full of ambience, whereas I felt that sound tendency of P-1 lacks quality and quantity of sound, and has its own character, with sound stage that lacks a core, which it tries to make up for with higher sound pressure, resulting in a batch-like, forced sound.

Ease of use: Electronic volume controller of P-700 has low torque and feels very empty compared to heavy feel of P-1. If possible, considering the price, I want the hardness and high quality of Accuphase products that seems to be engineered to a margin of error smaller than a strand of hair.

Functionality: P-700u is more than satisfactory as a headphone amp.

Overall: At this point, including the manufacturer’s unwillingness to compromise, P-700u is an amazing headphone amp--one of the best out there.

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #28 of 418
I'm interested in purchasing one of these.  Some units are advertised as being shipped from Japan.  Out of the box brand new, are these "Japan" units play-ready in the USA?  On one selling site the P-700U is given one star and.the reviewer states:

"This unit for sale is the domestic Japanese model and will need a step-up transformer, which detracts from the sound quality.  If anything goes wrong; the Japanese domestic model CANNOT be serviced overseas but must return to Japan, God only knows how long that will take and by the time you pay air-freight, duty customs clearance, the savings over a "normal export model, (which complies with CE & UL) is minimal.

Does anyone know this to be fact?  I am aware a unit can be purchased from THE CABLE COMPANY or ON A HIGHER NOTE.  Are their models the "normal export models" the reviewer is talking about? 

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #29 of 418
  Does anyone know this to be fact?  I am aware a unit can be purchased from THE CABLE COMPANY or ON A HIGHER NOTE.  Are their models the "normal export models" the reviewer is talking about? 

If you buy from Japan you will likely receive a 100V unit designed for the domestic (Japan) market, unless you specifically purchase an export model from Japan (rare).
Even when shopping in Japan it can be hard to find the 'export model' with 117V or 240V.

If you buy from a US retailer you will receive a 117V export model and a warranty. 
You canals check with The Cable Company before you purchase, but it should be the US export model.

You can decide if they're any savings buying from Japan and if it is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back