LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Nov 16, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #91 of 438
T2 / X1 can output to either Analog, BNC, or USB - one only, not simultaneous. This is different from D1 / D2 / A1 / S1 / T1 - the old models could output to analog and BNC simultaneously.

I got this from Peter at Lumin.
Correct. What I meant was if you use T2 only as a streamer, the output will be in digital form to the external DAC, hence not utilizing T2’s analog output.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #93 of 438
Just pulled the trigger on a full blown U1. I contemplated between the U1 Mini, Aurender N10 and the full U1.
I really didn't want to wonder later how much better the U1 might be over the Mini and start experimenting modifying the mini for external power supplies. The U1 is quite a bit more $ than the mini. Is its sound update worth the premium price?
I don't know but I'll be able to sit back and enjoy the music and not wonder if I can improve the SQ with some modifications.
Its replacing my 10 year old Mac Mini/MicroRendu/Audirvana solution.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #94 of 438
Just pulled the trigger on a full blown U1. I contemplated between the U1 Mini, Aurender N10 and the full U1.
I really didn't want to wonder later how much better the U1 might be over the Mini and start experimenting modifying the mini for external power supplies. The U1 is quite a bit more $ than the mini. Is its sound update worth the premium price?
I don't know but I'll be able to sit back and enjoy the music and not wonder if I can improve the SQ with some modifications.
Its replacing my 10 year old Mac Mini/MicroRendu/Audirvana solution.

I just bought a Lumin U1 to replace my Auralic Aries Femto > Matrix XSPIDF2 for my Chord Dave and M Scaler. I wasn't expecting that much sonically, but boy was I wrong. It's night and day. I highly recommend it. That said, DAC and system will obviously play a significant role.

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #95 of 438
How much difference can a streaming transport make from one another ?

The Lumin U1 mini has been on my list of potential buys. Is there much diffrence from ifi zen stream for exe. Worth the price difference in this category?

Well I read stuff like Lumin U1mini sounds as good as full price Lumin U1 and that its the best streamer they have heard under $5k.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #96 of 438

The Lumin U1 mini has been on my list of potential buys. Is there much diffrence from ifi zen stream for exe. Worth the price difference in this category?

Well I read stuff like Lumin U1mini sounds as good as full price Lumin U1 and that its the best streamer they have heard under $5k.

It can make a significant difference depending on the input method you use, and your DAC. It's not a massive difference, but it's certainly there. And us audiophiles love that last 5-10%.

Many modern DACs are able to completely reject jitter to the point it's not an issue. Some are not, and that creates issues - but I don't believe that's the main issue anymore with streamers; using any galvanic connection (e.g. digital coax, USB) - electrical noise can cause intermodulation distortion - which makes the sound artificially brighter. This, to me, is the main benefit of a high quality transport sonically.

There are also many functional reasons - software, features, and smoothness of operability - which make more of a difference than you think in terms of overall enjoyment. If you are playing digital files or streaming, your playing everything through that device - so if it's rock solid and a pleasure to use - it enhances the enjoyment of listening.

I haven't listened to the U1 mini, but I know that functionally - you'll get nearly everything you get on the full size U1, minus some sample rates. I can't say whether the differences are audible or not because I haven't listened to the Mini. I'd also opt for the linear power supply for the mini if you can, as that will almost definitely improve things from my experiences with other devices. What I can tell you, for sure, there was a big difference between my Auralic Aries Femto and Lumin U1. The Aries was brighter when played through USB, while the U1 was darker and smoother - less artificial sounding. I actually got headaches and listening fatigue when playing the Auralic Aries Femto because of the added brightness, and experience none of that with the U1.

I know many are in the bits are bits camp, but electrical noise / RFI has effected the sound of every DAC I've tried.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #97 of 438
Many modern DACs are able to completely reject jitter to the point it's not an issue. Some are not, and that creates issues - but I don't believe that's the main issue anymore with streamers; using any galvanic connection (e.g. digital coax, USB) - electrical noise can cause intermodulation distortion - which makes the sound artificially brighter. This, to me, is the main benefit of a high quality transport sonically.
Straight to the point and fully agree. I changed my streamer from node 2i to Roon nucleus and the difference was significant. I also use matrix spdif 2 converter and it does pretty well in removing digital flavour from streamed music.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #98 of 438

@bluenight setting aside all of discussion of how streames sound there are two basic factors that decide about stream quality IMHO: if it works flawlessy supporting all the formats and inputs/outputs/connections you need and user expirence. I would also consider how much time you need to put into setting up correctly as optional third.

In all those 3 areas Lumin U1 Mini shines for me. I've plugged into the network, conned usb stick, installed mobile app, setup streaming account, connected to the dac and started listening.

In the past I had similar expirence with mconnect based Mytek Brooklyn Bridge while IMHO mconnect app could learn a thing or two at least from Lumin.

I have exactly opossite expirence with zen stream. The software is in constat beta. In fact to enable some features being advertised by ifi as available you must install beta firmware. Up to this point it never played DSD256 files correctly but other users reports it works. Not fo me. Volumio UI is light ages behing Lumin. You can bypass it using Tidal or Roon for example however I am not Roon user and for me the whole idea of streamer in audio chain is to be able to remove any pc from it.

In summary: be very careful when you select streamer. I am so glad I've got ifi zen stream. It showed me how brilliant job both Lumin and Mytek done.

For me zen stream is like Chord poly: if you get it to work you may love it, but there is a chance it will not work and then you will hate it.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #99 of 438
@bluenight setting aside all of discussion of how streames sound there are two basic factors that decide about stream quality IMHO: if it works flawlessy supporting all the formats and inputs/outputs/connections you need and user expirence. I would also consider how much time you need to put into setting up correctly as optional third.

In all those 3 areas Lumin U1 Mini shines for me. I've plugged into the network, conned usb stick, installed mobile app, setup streaming account, connected to the dac and started listening.

In the past I had similar expirence with mconnect based Mytek Brooklyn Bridge while IMHO mconnect app could learn a thing or two at least from Lumin.

I have exactly opossite expirence with zen stream. The software is in constat beta. In fact to enable some features being advertised by ifi as available you must install beta firmware. Up to this point it never played DSD256 files correctly but other users reports it works. Not fo me. Volumio UI is light ages behing Lumin. You can bypass it using Tidal or Roon for example however I am not Roon user and for me the whole idea of streamer in audio chain is to be able to remove any pc from it.

In summary: be very careful when you select streamer. I am so glad I've got ifi zen stream. It showed me how brilliant job both Lumin and Mytek done.

For me zen stream is like Chord poly: if you get it to work you may love it, but there is a chance it will not work and then you will hate it.
But did you here any sound differences with zen stream and Lumin mini?

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #100 of 438
It can make a significant difference depending on the input method you use, and your DAC. It's not a massive difference, but it's certainly there. And us audiophiles love that last 5-10%.

There are also many functional reasons - software, features, and smoothness of operability - which make more of a difference than you think in terms of overall enjoyment. If you are playing digital files or streaming, your playing everything through that device - so if it's rock solid and a pleasure to use - it enhances the enjoyment of listening.

I haven't listened to the U1 mini, but I know that functionally - you'll get nearly everything you get on the full size U1, minus some sample rates. I can't say whether the differences are audible or not because I haven't listened to the Mini. I'd also opt for the linear power supply for the mini if you can, as that will almost definitely improve things from my experiences with other devices. What I can tell you, for sure, there was a big difference between my Auralic Aries Femto and Lumin U1. The Aries was brighter when played through USB, while the U1 was darker and smoother - less artificial sounding. I actually got headaches and listening fatigue when playing the Auralic Aries Femto because of the added brightness, and experience none of that with the U1.

I know many are in the bits are bits camp, but electrical noise / RFI has effected the sound of every DAC I've tried.
Oh thats nice. I hate bright sound. I think i have heard that expression before about having a calm relaxed mature sound from a better streamer vs the poorer.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #101 of 438
But did you here any sound differences with zen stream and Lumin mini?

@bluenight Well, since I never got it to work correctly in 2 of my setups it is hard to compare. Assuming I would limit the discussion only to playback of files from usb and tidal (non-mqa) when it works I would say there is no difference or at least in limited time I tried to compare the two I haven't found it. Is there a difference between zen stream and Rpi3 + Volumio? I don't think either, except for the fact that due to psu issues I never could make warning about too low voltage go away in my Rpi3 and I could only connect either CD drive or dac using usb. On the other hand it all depends on your dac too so I am far from giving anyone absolute answers. The best way is to test yourself if you have such option.

Lumin has also upsampling feature which I am not using for example since I stick to the M Scaler. So one could say I've overpaid since I am not using all the features.

However keep in mind that Lumin U1 Mini has also optical output for example. I am yet to do a comparison of usb vs optiocal in Lumin. Many says that in case of Chord TT2 is makes a difference.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #102 of 438
I am not Roon user and for me the whole idea of streamer in audio chain is to be able to remove any pc from it.
Absolutely:) I considered U1 mini seriously, but decided to go with Roon nucleus instead of any streamer. However, the pain here is USB output is not the best and You need to use Ddigital to digital converter or a streamer to make it the best. In any case I guess You need a PC as well if You use Roon and Lumin.

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #103 of 438
Straight to the point and fully agree. I changed my streamer from node 2i to Roon nucleus and the difference was significant. I also use matrix spdif 2 converter and it does pretty well in removing digital flavour from streamed music.
Love the Matrix spidf 2. Very solid device. I used that for a while between my Auralic Aries and my DAC and it definitely improved the sound. I finally got a Lumin U1 because I had put off an end game streamer for too long, and got a good deal. Also, and this is more a pride of ownership thing, the Lumin U1 is probably one of the most beautiful and beautifully constructed components I have ever had.

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #104 of 438
Love the Matrix spidf 2. Very solid device. I used that for a while between my Auralic Aries and my DAC and it definitely improved the sound. I finally got a Lumin U1 because I had put off an end game streamer for too long, and got a good deal. Also, and this is more a pride of ownership thing, the Lumin U1 is probably one of the most beautiful and beautifully constructed components I have ever had.

I confirm @Drewligarchy words, this is one of the best built components I have ever had and seen, and it easily beats many other audio devices above $5k in terms of build quality and attention to details including the inclusion of white gloves in the box to not leave any fingertips marks during unboxing and installation. There are very few other audio purchases I am so happy about. However Lumin does not only looks great, it works perfectly and I can not hear anything in the sound that could be treated as disadvantage - on contrary.

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #105 of 438
I confirm @Drewligarchy words, this is one of the best built components I have ever had and seen, and it easily beats many other audio devices above $5k in terms of build quality and attention to details including the inclusion of white gloves in the box to not leave any fingertips marks during unboxing and installation. There are very few other audio purchases I am so happy about. However Lumin does not only looks great, it works perfectly and I can not hear anything in the sound that could be treated as disadvantage - on contrary.

Yeah - Lumin really gets it. It looks beautiful, sounds great - and is rock solid. I have had it for months and haven't had one dropout, one crash, one reboot - it plays flawlessly 100% of the time in my system. It also does little things really nice - switching between PCM and DSD without any clicks (especially for DoP). I am talking about the full size U1, but the U1 mini runs the same software - so I'm sure it works exactly the same.

Lumin gets all the details right. With my Aries I had to reboot every couple weeks. It would crash on me occasionally and lose connection, etc. I have heard good things about the Aries G2, but honestly, after having the Lumin and an auralic streamer previously - I'm glad I went in the direction I did.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back