LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Jul 25, 2015 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 434

alvin1118

Member of the Trade: VinShineAudio
Anyone using LUMIN steamer ? Didn't find a thread in headfi hence started one.

I just purchased a LUMIN D1, an entry level from LUMIN. Gosh, it's exceptional! Far more superior than any of my previous PC/Soundawave - DAC (MYTEK/TEAC/LHLABS Geek Pulse X).

Sound very promising even when it's not burn-in. Especially the DSD playback, the whole place is filled with harmonized music. RBCD details also impressive, some flac I played previously using MYTEK / TEAC / Geek Pulse X was not be able to produce resolution that D1 does. Soundstage is phenomenal! 

I always has the impression that if you're not spending good money for a very good PC & USB DAC, a well designed network steamer will work better anytime for the same amount of money. It's known hard truth that it's extremely difficult to get audiophile quality music reproduction from PC & USB DAC setup.

I'm glad that i bite the bullet to go for LUMIN! Thanks to poison from a friend !

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 434

I hate dealing with USB, just detest it, Mac or PC. I use a Lumin A1 on my main headphone rig. Thoroughly enjoyable, and as a network player, incredibly robust. Lumin's software on the iPad bests any UPnP combo I use elsewhere on my network. For example, I absolutely love my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, preferring its sound especially on Redbook and other PCM. But being forced to rely on third party software solutions to control playback is less than thrilling. I run a Synology 1812+ NAS, with MinimServer as the streamer. I tried to make JRiver work for me as my primary software interface so as to simplify double DSD], but ultimately found it frustrating. [I still use it for video playback though.] With the Lumin and its app, my headphone rig is a true pleasure to use.

I am in the market for a third DAC network player as I wait for the new cans and amps to arrive. The PSA DS, another A1, or possibly an S1 [to make double DSD more accessible, though I have to work around Minim for those] are all on the list. Am also looking at the Merging NADAC.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 434
Well, that ambiguity got resolved. Ordered the Merging NADAC [stereo] today. Should be here next week. Birgir advised this morning the KGSSHV Carbon is en route. SR-009 arrives tomorrow. By end of next week, should be listening to some very nice tunes.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 434
I agree with all the positive comments regarding Lumin products.

After years of ploughing money into PC based FLAC delivery, I took the plunge and bought a Lumin T1. I just couldn't believe how good it sounded, with a superb DAC built in that outclasses the Eximus DP1 (and that is a damn fine DAC). In fact it impressed me so much I have just purchased the S1. I will now be selling my T1 to pay the bank manager!

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 434
  I agree with all the positive comments regarding Lumin products.

After years of ploughing money into PC based FLAC delivery, I took the plunge and bought a Lumin T1. I just couldn't believe how good it sounded, with a superb DAC built in that outclasses the Eximus DP1 (and that is a damn fine DAC). In fact it impressed me so much I have just purchased the S1. I will now be selling my T1 to pay the bank manager!

S1 is a helluva machine. It's where I was headed but for three factors:

1. QuadDSD;
2. Ravenna over UPnP [though Lumin software & support are superb];
3. Price savings were an incidental bonus.

I may still try to secure/borrow one to do a head-to-head listening comparison. OTOH, if PSAudio had plans to support 256 over network for their DS, I probably would have added another one of those. Compared to the S1 and the NADAC, it's a relative bargain.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 434

S1 is a helluva machine. It's where I was headed but for three factors:

1. QuadDSD;
2. Ravenna over UPnP [though Lumin software & support are superb];
3. Price savings were an incidental bonus.

I may still try to secure/borrow one to do a head-to-head listening comparison. OTOH, if PSAudio had plans to support 256 over network for their DS, I probably would have added another one of those. Compared to the S1 and the NADAC, it's a relative bargain.

I would strongly advise borrowing one for a comparison. the S1 has a superb three dimensional DAC, which is why I bought it to replace my T1.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 434

I would strongly advise borrowing one for a comparison. the S1 has a superb three dimensional DAC, which is why I bought it to replace my T1.

When I get a chance. To be candid, the DS is to my ears more musical than the A1. Now, this is is a matter of degree between superb DACs, but as I said, if PSA had a QuadDSD path for the DS, I wouldn't even looking at the Lumin or the NADAC. A DS run off Ethernet [not USB] is detectably more musical than the Lumin. The DS is worth borrowing if you haven't listened to one. As always, YMMV.

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 434
Funny no traction with this thread. No one use a Lumin streamer? I just bought a U1Mini. I haven’t been able to use it yet because my DAC is out for repair. Cant wait to hear it though. Big expectations.

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 434
Own a Lumin D1 with Kenneth Lau Signature Power Supply, and a Lumin T2 . Rock solid in my book including their support.
I came very close to getting a T2 myself.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 434
I upgraded from a Sotm-sms 200 to a Lumin U1 Mini. Big improvement. Sonically and UI wise. Very good streamer.
Nice to see that. I am upgrading from a Elac Discovery Streamer. My Dac should be back next week and I will get a first impression. Cant wait

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 434
I have read it is a great upgrade. I, however, am unwilling to void my warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back