LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Apr 7, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #46 of 434
First I would like to say. Im no expert but you can't compare the lumen u1 and u1 mini to other lumin streamers. The U1/U1 mini are transports only. There is no dac. So. I would image you have to get into the t2 level to even equal the transport side of the u1 mini.
Thanks, i am obviously aware u1 mini is a streamer only but i just wonder how it compares to d2 with respect to streaming quality only. I also suspect that almost no price difference suggests u1 mini is a better streamer (u2 has also dac included in pretty much the same price) but i wonder if anyone has an experience here.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #48 of 434
Much of the reduction of cost of the U1 mini is the chassis. power supply. Not so much the digital side. The Lumin U1 is machine from a solid chunk of aluminum. And a better power supply.

A D2 is better than a Blue sound node 2i, but. still way below a U series transport. I own both.

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #49 of 434
D2 is better than a Blue sound node 2i, but. still way below a U series transport. I own both.
Thanks, I am just contemplating changing my bluesound node 2i into lumin (i guess u1 mini). Could You write a bit more on the node/ lumin difference? Would be very helpful for me
Some people question the need to change streamer as it is only digital transmission, but i guess not that many people can compare side by side...

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #51 of 434
A node 2i is a really good device. But. Its nothing against a Lumin u1 mini stock. I did this. I have a node 2i, ran it and then connected a stock Lumin u1 mini. I was so shocked. that I won't even show my wife. My wife loves good sound. She steals my cables amps. speakers.

I bought a Lumin u1 mini with SBooster. I have been working overtime as much as I can to buy another one. Been working 6 days a week. Cant wait till I order my second one.

Maybe. Lumin should pay me!!

Musicguy

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #53 of 434
A node 2i is a really good device. But. Its nothing against a Lumin u1 mini stock. I did this. I have a node 2i, ran it and then connected a stock Lumin u1 mini. I was so shocked. that I won't even show my wife. My wife loves good sound. She steals my cables amps. speakers.

I bought a Lumin u1 mini with SBooster. I have been working overtime as much as I can to buy another one. Been working 6 days a week. Cant wait till I order my second one.

Maybe. Lumin should pay me!!

Musicguy
Thanks a lot, this is all i wanted to know. I will go for u1 mini (will try to find second hand first) ans sell my bluesound. I have a DAC i am happy with (MHDT Orchid) so i am looking for streamer only.

In terms of software (steering app) bluesound is awesome. Hope lumin is not worse also with this respect:)

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #54 of 434
The lumen app is pretty good. I use it mostly with tidal. The best way to use their app is on an iPad. On the iPad you can see all 3 zones. If you use a iPhone you have to swipe left right to see the zones. Best is to go to the lumen website to see how the app looks. Once you learn it its easy.

I use an old iPad 4.

I use my lumen mini /Sbooster into a Yiggy. Ive used usb, xls, coaxial and BNC. They all sound great. You can only use one output at a time. You will need to learn where in settings to select the output you want. So if you switch output connections make sure you select that output in the setting. Your lumini isn't broke just wrong output turn on.

Over at Audiophile style. Lumen is very present on the Lumen thread. They answer question and are quick to respond if you have any questions on using a lumen streamer.

m usicguy

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #55 of 434
The lumen app is pretty good. I use it mostly with tidal. The best way to use their app is on an iPad. On the iPad you can see all 3 zones. If you use a iPhone you have to swipe left right to see the zones. Best is to go to the lumen website to see how the app looks. Once you learn it its easy.

I use an old iPad 4.

I use my lumen mini /Sbooster into a Yiggy. Ive used usb, xls, coaxial and BNC. They all sound great. You can only use one output at a time. You will need to learn where in settings to select the output you want. So if you switch output connections make sure you select that output in the setting. Your lumini isn't broke just wrong output turn on.

Over at Audiophile style. Lumen is very present on the Lumen thread. They answer question and are quick to respond if you have any questions on using a lumen streamer.

m usicguy
Thanks a lot! I prefer to use Android, as I do not want to buy iPad only to steer Lumin. Have You tried Android to steer Lumin? I have heard it used to be a problem but I understand it was solved.

Alternatively to Lumin I see some options for Moon Neo Mind 2. Do You know this gear? I wonder how it compares to Lumin u1 mini.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #56 of 434
I only know Lumin with a an iPad,

It does android also and IOS and apple m1.

Don't get me wrong you can use it on an android phone. but with a tablet you see all 3 zones. You have current playing, that's the play button, skip area, the column on the right is what's in your Q. The large area is your search area. You you have to select something in the search area , hold it and it pops up a window how to want to add it to your Q, ie. in order or play from middle or from bottom. Then it appears in your Q. then you can select it to play. its one of those apps you just have to use to get the hang of it. I don't know if there is a YouTube of the app?

you can build some serious Q list. I only stream tidal. It works so well with tidal.

I really love my Lumin, To be honest. If it broke id buy another one in a heartbeat.

1617990938714.png

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #57 of 434
I only know Lumin with a an iPad,

It does android also and IOS and apple m1.

Don't get me wrong you can use it on an android phone. but with a tablet you see all 3 zones. You have current playing, that's the play button, skip area, the column on the right is what's in your Q. The large area is your search area. You you have to select something in the search area , hold it and it pops up a window how to want to add it to your Q, ie. in order or play from middle or from bottom. Then it appears in your Q. then you can select it to play. its one of those apps you just have to use to get the hang of it. I don't know if there is a YouTube of the app?

you can build some serious Q list. I only stream tidal. It works so well with tidal.

I really love my Lumin, To be honest. If it broke id buy another one in a heartbeat.

Thanks a lot, i also only use Tidal, with exception for a couple my favourite albums that are not available there.

I will look for some second hand occasions than:)

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #59 of 434
Hello,

are you already listening T2? :smile_phones:

regards,
Simon

Yes I’ve had it for about a month probably. It has brought a significant improvement to my audio chain and the sound is just incredible in every aspect. Not only that, the Lumin app is also quite polished and reliable. Perhaps one day if I do have the budget, I shall get an X1. But so far, the T2 has successfully suppressed my urge for an upgrade. It’s just that good.

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #60 of 434
Yes I’ve had it for about a month probably. It has brought a significant improvement to my audio chain and the sound is just incredible in every aspect. Not only that, the Lumin app is also quite polished and reliable. Perhaps one day if I do have the budget, I shall get an X1. But so far, the T2 has successfully suppressed my urge for an upgrade. It’s just that good.
Thank you for info.
For now I looking D2. Dont have money for T2. I have Gallus Audio Portato and Exposure 3010S2D integrated amp. First I was thinking about U1 mini + external DAC, but prefer All in one solution.

regards;
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back