LSK389 - the KGSS is buildable again!
Oct 21, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Press release date - January 12, 2006 and distributors still don't stock it.

And I just got all excited when I saw the title of this thread.
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 15
You still have the problem of it only being SOIC-8 or thru-hole TO-71...

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 15
You can just as well use matched pairs of 2SK170's to get much better matching then Toshiba ever did with the dual units. There are even special heatsinks to join them as a single unit for better thermal stability. You can also use a MAT02 with some small changes to the circuit as was documented in the KGSS article on Headwize.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I just got all excited when I saw the title of this thread.
frown.gif

I know that it exists - there was a group buy on DIYaudio some time ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can just as well use matched pairs of 2SK170's to get much better matching then Toshiba ever did with the dual units. There are even special heatsinks to join them as a single unit for better thermal stability. You can also use a MAT02 with some small changes to the circuit as was documented in the KGSS article on Headwize.

The MAT02 is, AFAIK, not available anywhere. I'll take a look for the 2SK170s, though.

EDIT:

I found these on eBay. I figure I can clamp them together with some Arctic Silver to get proper thermal matching. Should I go for them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-X-MATCHED-2SK1...item518bff4654

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 15
Gentlemen, The LSK389 are available like the post said. Just call Linear Systems. I built my P2P KGSS 6 months ago and they work great. The guy at Linear Systems (can't remember his name) is great to deal with and very helpful. If I remember right, a pair of LSK's with shipping is under $20 bucks. A little expensive for some, but the KGSS is worth it and sounds great with my ESP950's. My total cost including xfrm and PC boards from Mouser was around $400, not including any casing. If anyone is interested in building one P2P, PM me and I can give some great tips on building one including power supply tips, parts etc.
Tommy

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 15
Oct 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Oct 21, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you say problem, I say opportunity
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe I was leaving out that part just in-case a certain someone got inundated with "can I purchase ... ?" requests
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back