Lowish-budget open-backs for mixing and general purposes
Jul 17, 2018 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ValZakh

New Head-Fier
I have a tiny recording studio at home and am currently using MDR-V6s for almost everything to do with it. I would however really like a good pair of open-backs - for both higher-quality mixing, and also simply listening to music (the two are just about equally important for me). I wouldn't like to spend more than approx $210. I'd really rather not buy a new DACamp, so I'm looking to be using my Fiio E10K (for the general listening; for mixing I'll likely be fine with the internal DACamp of my audio interface, Presonus Audiobox - though tell me if you think I won't be!) with whatever open-backs I end up choosing. I both make and listen to everything right across the board - prog, folk, power electronics, pop, industrial, metal, shoegaze, drone...
From what I've heard so far, the K701s seem to me like a nice choice, with how they supposedly are pretty 'analytical' and don't 'color' any single aspect of sound too much - which I thought was probably good with the variety of stuff I'll be hearing through them. But I've also heard the DT990 250 Pro isn't bad. And I suspect there may be other options I don't know about that could be interesting. Would love someone to chime in with thoughts. Thanks a lot!

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 7
You should consider DT880 (250 Ohm) and K702 (in my experience, slightly warmer and more focused sound relative to K701)

Both need pretty much the same volume on the amp, but the AKG drains much more power.

These are neutralish headphones that won't make everything sound good. Just keep that in mind.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 7
HD558 could work potentially.

Could you elaborate, just a wee bit, on why you'd recommend them here? (I've not heard them mentioned very often in discussions about cans in this price range, yet I see they have pretty good reviews)

K702 (in my experience, slightly warmer and more focused sound relative to K701)

Not that I think you're 'hearing things', but aren't the K701 and the K702, on paper at least, exactly the same electronics-wise? I've read that even AKG admit as much

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Could you elaborate, just a wee bit, on why you'd recommend them here? (I've not heard them mentioned very often in discussions about cans in this price range, yet I see they have pretty good reviews)

Not that I think you're 'hearing things', but aren't the K701 and the K702, on paper at least, exactly the same electronics-wise? I've read that even AKG admit as much
Fairly neutral and balanced, good transition from bass to mids, extended highs (not as extended as the AKG, though). Fairly good detail. Relatively full-bodied. One of several good options (oh yeah, they don't require a dedicated amplifier) in the general price range. Just a thought.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 7

I've owned two AKG K702, a K712 and a K701. I've measured them all too.
The treble on K702 is similar to the treble on K712. These two have a peak around the 7kHz - 7.3kHz region.
K701 on the other hand has a peak at around 6.5kHz (closer to HD800 tonality). The bass on K702 is more present, fuller overall.
Vocals on the K702 are more focused and it's has a slightly drier character somehow.

Differences are not huge but easy o hear.
In my view, K702 has more of a reference sound, while K701 sounds almost experimental with its very wide stage, big, upfront and ethereal vocals and lighter bass response.
K712 is fuller sounding and even more focused than K702.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Fairly neutral and balanced, good transition from bass to mids, extended highs (not as extended as the AKG, though). Fairly good detail. Relatively full-bodied. One of several good options (oh yeah, they don't require a dedicated amplifier) in the general price range. Just a thought.
Nice! Just one last question, in that case: what would you say are the biggest differences between the 558 and the K701/702 sound-wise, apart from what you said about the highs?

I've owned two AKG K702, a K712 and a K701. I've measured them all too.
The treble on K702 is similar to the treble on K712. These two have a peak around the 7kHz - 7.3kHz region.
K701 on the other hand has a peak at around 6.5kHz (closer to HD800 tonality). The bass on K702 is more present, fuller overall.
Vocals on the K702 are more focused and it's has a slightly drier character somehow.

Differences are not huge but easy o hear.
In my view, K702 has more of a reference sound, while K701 sounds almost experimental with its very wide stage, big, upfront and ethereal vocals and lighter bass response.
K712 is fuller sounding and even more focused than K702.
Wow, I see. I guess they're a lot more different than may seem. Thanks for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back