Lower voltage caps on higher voltage supply
Jul 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Apocalypsee

500+ Head-Fier
I waned to replace a capacitor with a better spec, the stock one is Nichicon Muse FX (green colored) 330uF 16V, I wanted to replace it with Sanyo OS-CON but I only have the 10V one, the only 16V caps that I have is only 180uF. This caps will be used on opamp supply caps, I measured the voltage, its around 13.5V

Is it safe to use 10V caps on it? Or should I just stick with the stock one?

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 10
If the cap sees higher than 10v across it, there would be a high risk for the cap to blow up.
As fordgtlover said, stick with the stock one or find one rated at 16v or higher.

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys, I actually tried putting the low capacitance 180uF 16V OS-CON replacing the stock, but it doesn't sound right, is there any effect if we don't use the right amount of capacitance?

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 10
capacitors are rated at a voltage and temp if you run a capacitor at lower temps then its voltage rating will increase and vice versa. On the capacitors data sheet there may be graphs of this relationship that you can use to see if the 10V capacitor will have a 16V rating at normal operating temp. Still I would stick with the stock capacitor.

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 10
If the supply voltage is 13.5 then the rails are probably half that, but you want the cap to be able to handle the max possible voltage just in case your rails get all screwed up. Desoldering kind of sucks.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 10
Not being harsh, but it sounds like you have no ideia of what you're doing and you just want to do mod for the sake of it. I would suggest leaving the circuit stock unless know what you're doing.

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not being harsh, but it sounds like you have no ideia of what you're doing and you just want to do mod for the sake of it. I would suggest leaving the circuit stock unless know what you're doing.

I know what I doing, used caps in parallel will give lower ESR and all, I just want to hear you guys experience about this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back