Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
May 8, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #7,591 of 9,182
Bad to good cables yes. Good to good cables not really. Diminishing returns past really good value and low resistance cables like the good Xinhs cables in rikudogoku's list
I have a3 and a14 in ridongokus list - both low resistance and both sound bad. I also have nicehck upocc which sounds great (recommended by dsnuts and hakuzen) and and the resistance is high, proving resistance has nothing to do with sound quality.

May 8, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #7,592 of 9,182
I have a3 and a14 in ridongokus list - both low resistance and both sound bad. I also have nicehck upocc which sounds great (recommended by dsnuts and hakuzen) and and the resistance is high, proving resistance has nothing to do with sound quality.

It does not prove anything!

For the proof, one needs to have some clear evidence.

Otherwise, the counterstatement that your comment may "sound bad" to someone is an equally as deserving opinion :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #7,593 of 9,182

It does not prove anything!

For the proof, one needs to have some clear evidence.

Otherwise, the counterstatement that your comment may "sound bad" to someone is an equally as deserving opinion :)
My bad for not being clearer.

What i consider an "improvement" is that compared to the stock cables that came with my FDX1 and Sony IER-M9, they made the sound a little clearer and more open with the soundstage and instrument separation improving accordingly as a result. I use the A1 cable fyi.

I also have a "Yeen-yoo" (banned brand) UPOCC [A20] that I like and it was slightly warmer with a bit more bass bloom. Its still good sounding, just depends on what you're after. What made you say that the a3 and a14 sounded bad btw?

These are all small differences fyi, and honestly only noticeable when you're actually listening for differences. Again, its only when you switch from a bad or below average cable that you'll actually hear the difference.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #7,594 of 9,182
May I ask. Nicehck Blocc 5N UPOCC (Black) or the 6N UPOCC Copper Silver alloy mix?

May 8, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #7,595 of 9,182
My bad for not being clearer.

What i consider an "improvement" is that compared to the stock cables that came with my FDX1 and Sony IER-M9, they made the sound a little clearer and more open with the soundstage and instrument separation improving accordingly as a result. I use the A1 cable fyi.

I also have a "Yeen-yoo" (banned brand) UPOCC [A20] that I like and it was slightly warmer with a bit more bass bloom. Its still good sounding, just depends on what you're after. What made you say that the a3 and a14 sounded bad btw?

These are all small differences fyi, and honestly only noticeable when you're actually listening for differences. Again, its only when you switch from a bad or below average cable that you'll actually hear the difference.
My impression from your original post was that anything with low resistance would be good

a3 treble was harsh, i ABed with lza6 stock cable. In hindsight, putting such a cheap cable with it was a bad idea. a14 was very bloomy. I guess if you have iems <$100 these cable would be considered upgrades.

However small these differences are, its what im listening for now. its not enough to just enjoy my music but to make it sound as good as possible. I started cheap with blon03 and v30. ive now spent $1000s....

May 8, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #7,597 of 9,182
Bad cables can make IEMs sound worse, or uncomfortable to wear/use.

Iems, make the most difference, followed by tips. Then cables! ((Ignoring source and recording quality))

Copper cables are warmer, SPC is brighter. Silver is apparently brighter still, but I've never felt the need (I prefer warm tunings). Litz cables have a different insulation arrangement where each strand is separately insulated, never tried one! OCC has a different casting process that produces a different crystal pattern within copper strands. My personal belief is that gold plated expensive cables that advertise homeopathic levels of contaminants are overhyped. I'll stick to aromatherapy! Cable rolling is slower than tip rolling and you can't easily try a different cable on left and right IEM. Confirmation bias is always a problem when trying to decide, if you have made a good purchase.

Softer cables are usually more comfortable. Earhooks also effect comfort, there may be a soft sheath around the cable, a memory wire inside, or nothing at all. Clip on earhooks are also an option.

Straight versus right angled plug is an option, the later is a bit more convenient if you are using it with player or phone in a bag/pocket.

Chin slider or mic are personal preference. Chin sliders are the Goldilocks feature, too big or too small are useless, they need to be just right! Microphone may effect channel balance or sound quality, but they are really handy for taking calls on a phone.

Appearance is a valid choice, you may prefer something neutral or dark rather than something blingy. Then there is the label, having a prestigious brand on anything must surely raise it's sonic benefits (always cost and MAYBE sound).

Diminishing returns effects everything in the audio world, Find your own sweet spot with cables, the same as everything else. OEM manufacturers and sales are your friends! Some IEMs come with better cables that you won't need/want to replace. Factor that into your buying too.

This all aligns with my thinking on it too. The details of the wire composition itself are lower on my list than the quality of the connectors, the type of weave, the treatment of the ear hooks and the overall aesthetic. I have no doubt that different cables produce slightly different sound but I’m also pretty confident that those differences are slight as long as the cable is well made and robust.

May 9, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #7,602 of 9,182
My impression from your original post was that anything with low resistance would be good

a3 treble was harsh, i ABed with lza6 stock cable. In hindsight, putting such a cheap cable with it was a bad idea. a14 was very bloomy. I guess if you have iems <$100 these cable would be considered upgrades.

However small these differences are, its what im listening for now. its not enough to just enjoy my music but to make it sound as good as possible. I started cheap with blon03 and v30. ive now spent $1000s....
My $1000 IER-M9 would like to disagree. The stock cable made it dark and enclosed in comparison to my current 8 core silver cable.

Synergy is the word here. If you put a "brighter" cable onto an iem you already consider to be on the brighter and harsher side, it obviously won't go well.

May 9, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #7,603 of 9,182
My $1000 IER-M9 would like to disagree. The stock cable made it dark and enclosed in comparison to my current 8 core silver cable.

Synergy is the word here. If you put a "brighter" cable onto an iem you already consider to be on the brighter and harsher side, it obviously won't go well.
Is the 8 core silver nicehck? thats double the price of a3 and a14. synergy comes AFTER quality

May 9, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #7,604 of 9,182
1652107311527.png
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-os133-iem-cables.25829/ Something new for everyone to check out.

Excellent new budget level cables from Penon. My take on these cables using a variety of iems.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #7,605 of 9,182
Hello,

I'm very new to earphones with replaceable cables and still trying to figure out what I prefer.
One thing I have found is that integrated ear hooks don't seem to fit my oddly shaped ears well.
I'd be grateful is someone could please suggest a replacement cable without integrated ear hooks for the KZ EDX Pro (3.5mm QDC/C) as I've not had any luck finding one.
This is a $10 IEM so not looking to improve or change the sound characteristics, just a cable that is at least the same quality as the standard one?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back