Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 20, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #6,421 of 9,086
What is a good budget multimeter again?
As Paul mentioned, the Aneng 8008 is the one that I and him use. So if you want to get a multimeter to measure cables, its good if you get the same one for that extra consistency.

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #6,422 of 9,086
It's the red and blue version, but that cable looks nice regardless. Hmm.. It won't change the sound would it?
Just FYI, the sleeve on this cable is a bit sticky. I have a gold version of this and it was not to my liking, it may have been just the one I received, maybe someone else who has it can chime in.

As for the sound, some of us like me, purchase different cables for the sonic changes, I don't really care how the cables look I only care about how it affects the sound. You don't have to agree with me, only you can really decide for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #6,424 of 9,086
There are no proven results that I know of where "golden ears", "audiophiles" or Martians can distinguish adequate cables (good interconnects and low enough resistance not to matter compared to that of the chain) from those best and expensive ones.

There are famous tests where coat hanger wires are often preferred (or at least not distinguished) from audiophile cables in properly performed double tests. Here is one of such examples to give you an idea:
https://www.soundguys.com/cable-myths-reviving-the-coathanger-test-23553/
On some cables, I can immediately differentiate which is which. Those who have tried Sony's kimber cables have also immediately considered them warmer and darker than usual.

On my IER-M9 the switch from its stock cable to an 8 core silver cable was really substantial, changing its warmer tone to a more neutral sounding one with much more airiness.
That said when comparing the silver cable to the new A1 cable there wasn't anything noteworthy. Perhaps a little tighter bass but thats about it.

It really depends what two cables you are comparing.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #6,425 of 9,086
On some cables, I can immediately differentiate which is which. Those who have tried Sony's kimber cables have also immediately considered them warmer and darker than usual.

On my IER-M9 the switch from its stock cable to an 8 core silver cable was really substantial, changing its warmer tone to a more neutral sounding one with much more airiness.
That said when comparing the silver cable to the new A1 cable there wasn't anything noteworthy. Perhaps a little tighter bass but thats about it.

It really depends what two cables you are comparing.
Surely, cables can be distinguished, especially with all-BA IEMs.
The question is can you distinguish cables of the same resistance?

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #6,427 of 9,086
Has anyone tried Nicehck Spacecloud? it seems to be their new highest-priced cable, but I only saw one impression (review) from a Japanese blogger. As he seemed to have a very good impression about that cable (he tried most of well-known chifi cables), I am very tempted to try this at the sale price. Anyone? :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #6,428 of 9,086
Another batch of cables just arrived yesterday:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_groupList.8148356.31.610a4db1mw1mkA
Gold Plated Copper 2.jpgGold Plated Copper 1.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_groupList.8148356.63.24ea4cbbHRJEDj
Gold Silver 2.jpgGold Silver 1.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.1.dee75b5b7ZS9Na
12 Core Copper 3.jpg12 Core Copper 2.jpg

and this not-yet-released 24 core graphene copper cable.
Graphene Copper 2.jpgGraphene Copper 1.jpg

The first two cables sound similar to the Copper Alloy I recommended but there are some differences:
Silver Gold - Quite a bit more treble which can be too much, similar stage, need more time to play with it
Gold Plated - More treble, fuller sounding but can make the mids and upper mids congested, I prefer the Copper Alloy over this

12 Core Copper - I have been warned it would be thick and hard and heavy and it is quite hard like a hose, opps. Need more time to play with it
24 Core Graphene - The cable is super super soft and light. I am sure it is not brain burn-in. Yesterday it sounded quite narrow the stage and quite congested and today it is totally opened-up. I only played a few tracks with in and put it back in the case and maybe this is enough for the cable to settle? Now it sounds pretty good I say, tight sounding and good stage and no harsh notes at all. I have a feeling this cable will be as good as the copper alloy.

So I have been earphone-rolling and cable-rolling and this is my short update of my listening impressions:

Gold-plated copper - again the upper mid and treble are the main focus here and can sound too busy which agrees with other reviews on AliEx. The bottom end is slightly lacking and especially noticible on some less bassy IEMs such as the CKX. (The CKX Is punchy not bassy IMO) So IMHO there are better cables from XINHS at this price point.

Gold Silver Mix - this cable as I said sounds like the copper alloy (I think they look very very similar too apart from the colour) - it is basically the copper alloy cable with more treble which sounds quite good with some IEMs. Depends on your preference and more importantly the synergy with different IEMs, this is recommended.

12-core copper - it is really thick and hard. The sound is quite relaxed and natural.

24 Core Graphene - it seems the cable is not very suitable for single DD or a 1 DD + 1 BA setup, treble can sound a bit "digital", like listening to music through a cheap on-board soundcard. However, with multiple BAs + DD IEMs, bass gets good extension, and treble gets silky smooth with energetic texture. Separation and clarity are also very good with very balanced sub-bass-bass-mids-treble. The music is a little further away from the ears but not too far.

So far I recommend these 5 cables from XINHS:
1. 4 core copper alloy;
2. 24-core graphene (for best result, you need a multi-BA IEM)
3. the whitecrane equivalent;
4. the 4 core silver-gold
5. The beige (or black) sleeved 4 core

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #6,430 of 9,086
Sry noob here, how do you use the multimeter to measure the impedance? I have quite a few cables, might want to try it myself~
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ck-cable-thread.891911/page-346#post-15953019

Thats not a double blind test and it is extremely subjective because measurements can't tell you how something sounds. This is why you can't precisely predict what an iem or headphone sounds like just from the frequency response or if an amp sounds good just from the measurements. They give you a general idea of the product but is far from a reliable source of how it will sound in person.

Theres a 4 part series on cabling from the owner of Abyss Headphones. He has a degree in electrical engineering and worked for companies in the industry prior to creating Abyss. Part 3 goes into the detail on how materials affect sound.

I hope you are not relying on that one biased article from an obscure headphone review blog from an IT guy.

1624277664333.png

Abysss sells extremely overpriced cables, but sure. The guy that posted that video is definitely unbiased and 100% objective.

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #6,432 of 9,086
Has anyone tried Nicehck Spacecloud? it seems to be their new highest-priced cable, but I only saw one impression (review) from a Japanese blogger. As he seemed to have a very good impression about that cable (he tried most of well-known chifi cables), I am very tempted to try this at the sale price. Anyone? :)
I just received it but haven't had a chance to try it. I did read that blogger's review on it and typically appreciate his take on the cables. My advice, wait until they run a flash sale as it won't be worth $100usd. Maybe I don't see the lowest price, but KRHIFI ran a few promos on SpaceCloud where I picked it up at $38usd. For NiceHCK, I either look for a launch week promotion where SpaceCloud was in that $100 range or the special flash sales where all three blue cables were $50 and below iirc. This week, GoldenFall is $65 which is a good deal.

Not surprising, XINHS version of GoldenFall $65: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002837440157.html
More surprising XINHS version of the **** UPOCC twisted: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002837295131.html
He has made more than a few of the **** cables for friends, feel free to get that one in black hardware which looks great too.

It is also half of my twist, 2 cores of ****, 2 of WhiteCrane
2021-06-10 11.24.09.jpg

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #6,433 of 9,086
Got the Faaeal 4 core copper cable based on @RikudouGoku 's list and also the fact that I'm super impatient when it comes to waiting for gear and they're available on Amazon with Prime shipping. Nice little upgrade to the Blessing 2. The stock cable tangles easier and the Faaeal feels much nicer. Great price too.

Attachments

• PXL_20210621_172248988.jpg
    PXL_20210621_172248988.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210621_172321240.jpg
    PXL_20210621_172321240.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #6,434 of 9,086
I just received it but haven't had a chance to try it. I did read that blogger's review on it and typically appreciate his take on the cables. My advice, wait until they run a flash sale as it won't be worth $100usd. Maybe I don't see the lowest price, but KRHIFI ran a few promos on SpaceCloud where I picked it up at $38usd. For NiceHCK, I either look for a launch week promotion where SpaceCloud was in that $100 range or the special flash sales where all three blue cables were $50 and below iirc. This week, GoldenFall is $65 which is a good deal.

Not surprising, XINHS version of GoldenFall $65: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002837440157.html
More surprising XINHS version of the **** UPOCC twisted: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002837295131.html
He has made more than a few of the **** cables for friends, feel free to get that one in black hardware which looks great too.

It is also half of my twist, 2 cores of ****, 2 of WhiteCrane
2021-06-10 11.24.09.jpg
Your custom version cable looks very awesome. I have and love both cables, curious how blending sounds of those two would be like.
Their selling price for NiceHCK generic is pretty much similar to the sale price of the corresponding NiceHCK products.
I hope XINHS can pay a little bit more attention to their QC, as connectors and jacks sometimes come with something like several years of worn-out things.

Please give us your impression when you have a chance to audition SpaceCloud. I won't pay 200$ for it but I am willing to pay sale price if it sounds good.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6,435 of 9,086
Your custom version cable looks very awesome. I have and love both cables, curious how blending sounds of those two would be like.
Their selling price for NiceHCK generic is pretty much similar to the sale price of the corresponding NiceHCK products.
I hope XINHS can pay a little bit more attention to their QC, as connectors and jacks sometimes come with something like several years of worn-out things.

Please give us your impression when you have a chance to audition SpaceCloud. I won't pay 200$ for it but I am willing to pay sale price if it sounds good.
He does have SpaceCloud too and I might pay a bit extra for an L-type connector and recessed two pin. Sometimes he just looks at the NiceHCK price and takes off $20 so that is going to put you in the $80 range. Ask if he can do $65. Sometimes there is more room for a discount on the unlisted cables but I remember asking about Blue Island or Comet, the 8 core blue one and there was no discount.

Not my cable, but ran across it on a Facebook group

1624301179482.png

Also, I try not to self promote but I really put this video together for the XINHS fans here to spark your own ideas:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back