Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #4,681 of 9,178
So far, the best sounding cable that I’ve used on my se846 is the silver TRN T3 cable. The only issue was that the left side kept cutting in and out with movement. It was the same with 2 separate TRN T3 cables, so it was probably the fault of my left IEM, though that IEM has worked fine with every other MMCX cable that I’ve tried. This is just one persons experience, but the sound is really impressive. Hmmm, now I need to try the se846 with the NiceHCK silver cable.

I have 2 stock cables and one has the issue with left side cutting in and out with movement. I don't know why it happens but figured that keeping the chin slider higher made this go away.

Thank you for the suggestion for TRN T3. Please let me know your impressions regarding NiceHCK silver cable when you have tried it.

Just to know i'm wondering if SPC or pure silver will be better pairing with SE846. Any suggestions or experiences.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #4,682 of 9,178
I have 2 stock cables and one has the issue with left side cutting in and out with movement. I don't know why it happens but figured that keeping the chin slider higher made this go away.

Thank you for the suggestion for TRN T3. Please let me know your impressions regarding NiceHCK silver cable when you have tried it.

Just to know i'm wondering if SPC or pure silver will be better pairing with SE846. Any suggestions or experiences.
Okay, first off, I‘m not great at analyzing/reviewing cables. Most of the time, I don’t hear much of a difference, but on rare occasions, I do notice a significant change in sound. Using the TRN T3 on the se846 was one such occasion. Unfortunately, the left IEM connection wasn’t stable. The se846 is a sensitive all-BA IEM, and it is picky about sources, especially regarding output impedance. I wonder if it is more sensitive to cables than most DD IEMs?

This is a very rough comparison, and are only one person’s basic perceptions. I typically use the stock clear/white kevlar Shure cable b/c I also use this IEM as a stage monitor, and that cable works best for me. I’ve tried the Tripowin C8 and Zonie 16 cables with the se846, and found that they work well, and sound good, but not noticeably different from the stock. I just tried the NiceHCK silver 4 core Litz cable with the se846, right after listening with the stock cable. I didn’t notice any improvement, and in fact, it may sound ever so slightly darker, though the bass seemed a tiny bit more potent. The only cable that made me really take notice with the se846 was the TRN T3. It seemed to improve clarity, dynamics, transient response, and treble some. That being said, it was not a massive change, just a fine tuning, like if you were to use better ear tips. I didn’t directly compare the NiceHCK cable with the TRN T3 cable b/c I really don’t want to change out the MMCX cable any more, unless I need to. I guess the cable resistance could be the reason for the perceived sonic differences between these silver cables?

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #4,683 of 9,178
Okay, first off, I‘m not great at analyzing/reviewing cables. Most of the time, I don’t hear much of a difference, but on rare occasions, I do notice a significant change in sound. Using the TRN T3 on the se846 was one such occasion. Unfortunately, the left IEM connection wasn’t stable. The se846 is a sensitive all-BA IEM, and it is picky about sources, especially regarding output impedance. I wonder if it is more sensitive to cables than most DD IEMs?

This is a very rough comparison, and are only one person’s basic perceptions. I typically use the stock clear/white kevlar Shure cable b/c I also use this IEM as a stage monitor, and that cable works best for me. I’ve tried the Tripowin C8 and Zonie 16 cables with the se846, and found that they work well, and sound good, but not noticeably different from the stock. I just tried the NiceHCK silver 4 core Litz cable with the se846, right after listening with the stock cable. I didn’t notice any improvement, and in fact, it may sound ever so slightly darker, though the bass seemed a tiny bit more potent. The only cable that made me really take notice with the se846 was the TRN T3. It seemed to improve clarity, dynamics, transient response, and treble some. That being said, it was not a massive change, just a fine tuning, like if you were to use better ear tips. I didn’t directly compare the NiceHCK cable with the TRN T3 cable b/c I really don’t want to change out the MMCX cable any more, unless I need to. I guess the cable resistance could be the reason for the perceived sonic differences between these silver cables?

Thanks a lot for the details.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #4,684 of 9,178
Want to recommend this new cable from ikko, ARC CTU-01. I am very impressed with its overall sonic presentation. Greater dynamics, fuller midrange and smoother treble. Soundstage expansion is bigger. As I own many cables ranging from entry level to TOTL, I got to say this is easily one of the best bang for buck cables at 59 USD and it comes with tips. Highly recommended. Cheers.

Product Information:
https://ikkoaudio.com/product/ikko-ctu01-upgraded-cable

IMG_20200812_132857_292.jpgIMG_20200812_133100_489.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #4,685 of 9,178
Have you guys ordered from this store?

More specifically does anyone know if their adapters are good?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000434572042.html

Since I bought the Sony EX800ST I might wanna change the cable and will need an adapter for that.

Just had my delivery of the angled MMCX-2 pin and angled 2 pin-MMCX. They work fine. This is the only store I have found that does angled recessed 2 pin to MMCX ( the first on at the top left). CEMA does not do that one. Quick delivery too.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #4,686 of 9,178
Just had my delivery of the angled MMCX-2 pin and angled 2 pin-MMCX. They work fine. This is the only store I have found that does angled recessed 2 pin to MMCX ( the first on at the top left). CEMA does not do that one. Quick delivery too.
Good to know they are legit then and not just a bot account or something :joy: (very suspicious store name) with their name "Shop5496037 Store"

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #4,688 of 9,178
So far, the best sounding cable that I’ve used on my se846 is the silver TRN T3 cable. The only issue was that the left side kept cutting in and out with movement. It was the same with 2 separate TRN T3 cables, so it was probably the fault of my left IEM, though that IEM has worked fine with every other MMCX cable that I’ve tried. This is just one persons experience, but the sound is really impressive. Hmmm, now I need to try the se846 with the NiceHCK silver cable.
Oh no! That's worrying. I've had same loose connection issue with Baldur MKII cable and the left earpiece of my se846. I even sent it back to the seller and he replaced the mmcx connector, but I ended up with the same problem after a while. Like you said, mine works just fine with the stock cable. Then I guess it'd be too risky to go with TRN T3 🤦🏽‍♂️

My search for a cheap transparent sounding balanced cable is to be continued...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #4,689 of 9,178
Interestingly cable rolling on headphones (6 different cables on 4 different headphones Beats Solo3 is the only one I remember the name of atm) has yet to yield any changes in sound in any of the ones I tried so I can only conclude from what I tested so far that all cables (or at least all 3.5mm ended cables) are sonically transparent on headphones unless they malfunction... I guess it's safe to assume IEMs are very different animals in this regard.

But then again I have yet to own any... actually good not hardwired headphone.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #4,690 of 9,178
So, look what arrived today in my mailbox. This is that $20ish pure silver, 4 core litz cable from Nicehck. I ordered this on 07/27/2020 and it came in about 3 weeks here to Canada. Very impressed with that delivery speed. That's what I've been used to from Aliexpress; but my recent experience with purchasing my YBF-ISS014 took 3 months, poor tracking and no product. I got my money back but the experience made me wary and distrustful about buying from Aliexpress again. I took a chance on this new cable and Nicehck delivered promptly, as they have in the past. I'll be using this new cable with my TFZ NO.3. I'll post some opinions when I've had a chance to hook it up (probably Sunday or Monday) and compare to the Nicehck SPC 8 core I currently have connected to the No.3. Here are a couple of pics of the new cable. Right off the bat though; I'm disappointed in the chin slider. This is the same size as the one they use in the 8 core SPC cable, so it's useless on the smaller 4 core. Why wouldn't they just switch to a smaller holed chin slider for the 4 core litz, so it would actually work?
!

Attachments

• 20200814_221852.jpg
    20200814_221852.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200814_221541.jpg
    20200814_221541.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #4,691 of 9,178
Ok...initial impressions with the new pure silver 4 core Litz Nicehck cable, compared to the Nicehck SPC 8 core that I was previously using on my TFZ NO.3. My impressions are based on less than 2 hours of listening, so at this time, take what I say with a grain of salt. New cable has tightened up the bass a bit, which is what I wanted for the No.3. Treble has a bit more liveliness to it too...a bit more detail. Mids are kinda meh, tho. Kinda sterile sounding and lack some body/warmth compared to the Nicehck SPC 8 core balanced cable I was previously using. Openness of stage is a bit recessed too with this new cable. Again, this is just with a couple hours of burn in and listening. I'll give more impressions once I've had more time with the the cable/iem combo.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #4,692 of 9,178
1597679165999.png

Just got these. Well I got them over the weekend wasn't able to pick them up till this morning. These are extremely nice cables for the cost. Not to mention these are hybrid silver and copper. They claim it is UPOCC crystal copper. Regardless. The proof is in the sound. These are yet another bang for buck cable from KBEAR. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001244591805.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.772d23f7yTS0Of

1597679333899.png

These are a great deal at $20 what they are going for. Very comparable to $50 plus cables on the express. I was very surprised of how transparent sound becomes with this cable. I can tell the silver properties of the cable and the copper properties. I might have to get a few more sets of these.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4,693 of 9,178
1597679165999.png

Just got these. Well I got them over the weekend wasn't able to pick them up till this morning. These are extremely nice cables for the cost. Not to mention these are hybrid silver and copper. They claim it is UPOCC crystal copper. Regardless. The proof is in the sound. These are yet another bang for buck cable from KBEAR. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001244591805.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.772d23f7yTS0Of

1597679333899.png

These are a great deal at $20 what they are going for. Very comparable to $50 plus cables on the express. I was very surprised of how transparent sound becomes with this cable. I can tell the silver properties of the cable and the copper properties. I might have to get a few more sets of these.
Sounds nice, I have one of those on the way too so I can measure it. (also got the "limpid" silver cable.)

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #4,695 of 9,178
1597688294522.png

I ended up getting a set of KBEARs version of the 4 core Silver cables. These are exactly the same as NiceHCKs. I needed one in 2 pin anyway so I ended up trying out one of these. So it seems where Kbear gets their cables so does NiceHCK and a few others.
The only problem with these is that they don't do recessed 2 pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back