Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jul 6, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #1,936 of 9,182
Anybody here have any suggestions for relatively cheap, or mid priced speaker cables for a magnepan speaker system?
OCC Copper, or Copper foil?
Or am I in the wrong thread :)
try to visit Ghentaudio... google it..
Almost all my desktop setup use his cable...

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,937 of 9,182
Hey guys. Really helpful info, thank you. I want to buy a reccomended cable such as HifiHear or NickeHCK from A.E however I want 65cm cable length and these shops don't seem willing to customise them. What would your reccomendations be for this situation? (Apart from me doing it lol)

Thanks! I feel relieved that I don't have to overspend to get cables

Thanks for all your efforts, Slater! I think it's good news for many (like me) who became disillusioned by the this cable build fiasco. Only bummer for me is: I saw these yesterday on Ali at a good price, but didn't bite because of the recent problems. I ended up buying a couple of JCally 8 cores (one 3.5 and one 2.5), which I like cause I already own one connected to my ZS10 PRO, but the 16 core TRN would've been cheaper. I wish I had seen your most recent info before I bought the JCALLY's. I could've saved myself a few bucks. Note to self: read the most recent threads and replies on Headfi, before pulling the plug. LOL! Seriously though, @Slater...you're doing a great job and helping us all so much, by doing these dissections. Thanks again, so much! It's guys like you and @hakuzen who help us understand how cables and their construction works in conjunction with the sound of our gear. Please keep up the good work.

Jul 7, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,938 of 9,182
Thanks for sharing this, I checked out the 169 link and realized the prices is getting close to what I was planning to pay Forza for a custom length cable (his entry level one)Copper Series HPC Mk2,

"4 strands of 26AWG cryo 7N UPOCC copper in Litz geometry"

Is there much difference between his and 169? (Keep in mind I will have to pay someone to shorten the 169 length)

Thanks
i assume you mean cable 170, not 70.
yes, they both are an upgrade from isn audio cables. wire used gives you a clear step up in terms of sound.
price is fantastic for these cables during the sales plus coupons. i'd get another one, but i'm served (3 units).

but if you want slight brighter sensation (bass taming), you should go for silver plated up-occ copper litz or hybrid (silver plated copper + copper) versions (not in my list yet):

. taiwan silver plated 7n frozen up-occ litz copper, 4 cores 28awg PE sheath (eidolic styled jack, taiwan imported mmcx). light brown sleeve cores + transparent sleeve cores (silver color)
0.08mm*19(OD:1.08mm/27.3AWG)*4c?
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32994248213.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32997399146.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/33001933222.html
wire:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1000007631873.html (copper!,litz) + https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/33006890732.html (litz)

. taiwan silver plated + copper (mixed into each core) frozen up-occ litz, 4 cores 28awg PE sheath (eidolic styled jack, taiwan imported mmcx). transparent sheath, silver+copper colors
0.07mm*7spc+0.09mm*5copper(OD:1.08mm/27.3AWG)*4c?
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32996895840.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32995698807.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/33002688074.html
wire:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1000007736919.html (litz)

these are my best recommendation, together with 165 and 170 (copper). once you listen with these taiwan cryo UP-OCC cables, you won't go back

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,939 of 9,182
Thanks for sharing this, I checked out the 169 link and realized the prices is getting close to what I was planning to pay Forza for a custom length cable (his entry level one)Copper Series HPC Mk2,

"4 strands of 26AWG cryo 7N UPOCC copper in Litz geometry"

Is there much difference between his and 169? (Keep in mind I will have to pay someone to shorten the 169 length)

Thanks
i don't own any Forza cable. i like their work, used materials, and prices. was interested in Claire HPC Mk2, but needed mmcx/2pins termination to be used with iems (then i use mmcx/2pins to 2.5/3.5mm adapter for headphones). asked for a quote and the price was increased too much (soldering 26awg 8 cores on tiny plugs is hard) for my wallet; asked if the wire is litz "geometry" or true litz (individually enameled strands into each core), and got no answer. i suspect it is not litz.
that's why i went for nicehck and electro acousti in AE.

the differences between 169 and HPC Mk2 are:
- 169 is copper and silver plated copper (mixed into each core) frozen up-occ litz; HPC Mk2 is copper, frozen up-occ (it's not clear it is litz, i suspect it isn't, because i've only found 26awg up-occ silver plated litz wire and 28awg copper/spc/mixed litz wire, but not 26awg copper litz).
choosing copper, silver plated copper, mixed, or silver wire depends of the source+phones you plan to use. i like 169 a lot, because it has the best of both materials, adding more spacious mids and highs (clearer perception), while keeping good bass boldness and rumble.
if available, i prefer litz (darker background, deeper stage).
- 169 is 4*28awg cores; HPC Mk2 is 8*26awg cores. so Mk2 is thicker and has less resistance (better).
- 169 is only mmcx terminated. Mk2 allows various headphones terminations, and length customization, but if you need mmcx/2pins for iems, or custom options, get prepared for a considerable price increase.

you are in the right path, don't waste time with other wires. try neotech frozen up-occ. wish i'd had found these before.
so it depends of what are you looking for: copper/spc/mixed/silver; litz/no litz; critical impedance; terminations; customization.
i'm in love with 169, and i'm searching for that kind of wire to build some interconnect cables now.

another great option is electro acousti up-occ cables. in your case, you should consider it, because you can talk and agree for customization (the increase of price is much more affordable than forza's). components used are top quality, compared with most chinese manufacturers.
if you look for copper litz, cables 170 and 171 in my list are the best copper ones i've found. 4/8 28awg cores. more terminations and customization (just chat with them) available. i'm going to post measurements and impressions of 171 (8 cores) right now. my best copper one.
if you look for tighter but punchy and detailed bass, and more spacious and detailed mids and highs, you can ask for a custom cable using any up-occ wire from their stock (wide range).
i've just received custom cables using neotech up-occ pure silver and gold (99% silver, 1% gold). after first AB, i'm impressed with sound stage, and mids/highs layering. amazing.
ask them to build your custom length and terminations, choose the exact components (wire, plugs, splitter, slider), and you'll see the price is very competitive.

i'm going to post pics, measurements, and first impressions of the cables i've received from them, in a few hours.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,940 of 9,182
Holy crap that's an incredible answer to my question!!! I'm going to read it over a few more times before I say anything else. Thank-you

i don't own any Forza cable. i like their work, used materials, and prices. was interested in Claire HPC Mk2, but needed mmcx/2pins termination to be used with iems (then i use mmcx/2pins to 2.5/3.5mm adapter for headphones). asked for a quote and the price was increased too much (soldering 26awg 8 cores on tiny plugs is hard) for my wallet; asked if the wire is litz "geometry" or true litz (individually enameled strands into each core), and got no answer. i suspect it is not litz.
that's why i went for nicehck and electro acousti in AE.

the differences between 169 and HPC Mk2 are:
- 169 is copper and silver plated copper (mixed into each core) frozen up-occ litz; HPC Mk2 is copper, frozen up-occ (it's not clear it is litz, i suspect it isn't, because i've only found 26awg up-occ silver plated litz wire and 28awg copper/spc/mixed litz wire, but not 26awg copper litz).
choosing copper, silver plated copper, mixed, or silver wire depends of the source+phones you plan to use. i like 169 a lot, because it has the best of both materials, adding more spacious mids and highs (clearer perception), while keeping good bass boldness and rumble.
if available, i prefer litz (darker background, deeper stage).
- 169 is 4*28awg cores; HPC Mk2 is 8*26awg cores. so Mk2 is thicker and has less resistance (better).
- 169 is only mmcx terminated. Mk2 allows various headphones terminations, and length customization, but if you need mmcx/2pins for iems, or custom options, get prepared for a considerable price increase.

you are in the right path, don't waste time with other wires. try neotech frozen up-occ. wish i'd had found these before.
so it depends of what are you looking for: copper/spc/mixed/silver; litz/no litz; critical impedance; terminations; customization.
i'm in love with 169, and i'm searching for that kind of wire to build some interconnect cables now.

another great option is electro acousti up-occ cables. in your case, you should consider it, because you can talk and agree for customization (the increase of price is much more affordable than forza's). components used are top quality, compared with most chinese manufacturers.
if you look for copper litz, cables 170 and 171 in my list are the best copper ones i've found. 4/8 28awg cores. more terminations and customization (just chat with them) available. i'm going to post measurements and impressions of 171 (8 cores) right now. my best copper one.
if you look for tighter but punchy and detailed bass, and more spacious and detailed mids and highs, you can ask for a custom cable using any up-occ wire from their stock (wide range).
i've just received custom cables using neotech up-occ pure silver and gold (99% silver, 1% gold). after first AB, i'm impressed with sound stage, and mids/highs layering. amazing.
ask them to build your custom length and terminations, choose the exact components (wire, plugs, splitter, slider), and you'll see the price is very competitive.

i'm going to post pics, measurements, and first impressions of the cables i've received from them, in a few hours.

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,941 of 9,182
I have contacted 170 on AE regarding my customisation needs and when searching for 28AWG 7N cables I came across Audio Santin not sure if you are familiar with them but they already replied with a quote of $50 and $15 shipping. Have you heard of them?

On a side note I think I won't even bothering with a splitter I have yet to use it and for a mobile setup the less the better I think

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,942 of 9,182
guess you mean Satin Audio.. i don't own any of their cables.
they look nice and prices are affordable. you can search in this thread, because iirc someone tried their cables here.
my problem is i've not tested any of their wires, although they look promising, while i've tested various neotech up-occ wires, hook solid copper teflon sheathed, litz multi-strand copper pvc +cotton braid sheathed, various frozen copper, spc+copper, silver+gold, multi-strand, litz and no litz, pe sheathed, and i can vouch for them. the sound (stage, cleanliness) i get with any of them is a quality jump over any other occ i've tried.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #1,944 of 9,182
Hey guys. Really helpful info, thank you. I want to buy a reccomended cable such as HifiHear or NickeHCK from A.E however I want 65cm cable length and these shops don't seem willing to customise them. What would your reccomendations be for this situation? (Apart from me doing it lol)

Thanks! I feel relieved that I don't have to overspend to get cables
Thanks to overseas cable manufacturers, the price of good quality cables has come down alot. It really helps make this hobby more affordable and inclusive for many of us.

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #1,945 of 9,182
i was interested of some satin audio interconnect, but their webpage isn't able to specify any other length than 11cm, so i gave up, and bought neotech wire to diy my interconnects

Quick update-

Audio Satin is great on email, prompt and his english is good -Audio Satin <satinaudiovn@gmail.com> (Eric) he has quoted me $50 and $15 shipping.

Electro Acousti Store (170) on A.E has quoted me $43 but he seems to be using google translate to chat and the dialogue is not good so I am not currently confident about the necessary communication to do this successfully

I would be interested in your thoughts of getting nylon sleeve, it would be an aesthetic decision as my Es100 is black and wondered because these won't be over the ear (iSine20) and shorter than regular cables I wonder if it won't make much of a difference to comfort?

Thanks everyone for your input hope my experience is helpfull

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #1,946 of 9,182
Electro Acousti Store (170) on A.E has quoted me $43 but he seems to be using google translate to chat and the dialogue is not good so I am not currently confident about the necessary communication to do this successfully

The store offered you 43$ for the 170 ? that is a great bargain.
Two days ago I gently asked a free product in exchange of a full review for the 171 and I just received a "no", not even hello, etc, dialogue is extremely not so good, I confirm.
All he does offered me is just a 10% off, which is still too high for a review. I declined and did not buyed 170 nor 171 then. Too bad for him and me.
Stock prices are way too high.
At the beginning of the store was opened on ali, it was 100% satisfaction but for now its less than 96% in just 4 months, which is not really good and may reserves some surprises I guess.
Too bad that those cables are not sold in another well known store from ali :frowning2:

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #1,947 of 9,182
The store offered you 43$ for the 170 ? that is a great bargain.
Two days ago I gently asked a free product in exchange of a full review for the 171 and I just received a "no", not even hello, etc, dialogue is extremely not so good, I confirm.
All he does offered me is just a 10% off, which is still too high for a review. I declined and did not buyed 170 nor 171 then. Too bad for him and me.
Stock prices are way too high.
At the beginning of the store was opened on ali, it was 100% satisfaction but for now its less than 96% in just 4 months, which is not really good and may reserves some surprises I guess.
Too bad that those cables are not sold in another well known store from ali :frowning2:

Just to note $43 but I only want 65cm cable length which is why he said 30% off the retail price. Thanks for your input, I don't want to dismiss him because of his English but am mindful communication error risk for something custom like this.

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #1,948 of 9,182
yes, the guys at electro acousti use ali translator.
i also used google translator to message them in both Chinese and English, to ensure a proper communication.

this way, we arranged 1 cable 171, two custom cables (174, not in my list yet), no ear guides, and some components. this was lot of info, and there were no issues.

these new cables i've received from them are exquisitely crafted. it's not easy to solder 8 wires in a tiny true rhodium plated plug (not glued, they are 100% repairable). resistance measurements are even. strain reliefs have been improved.

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,949 of 9,182
yes, the guys at electro acousti use ali translator.
i also used google translator to message them in both Chinese and English, to ensure a proper communication.

this way, we arranged 1 cable 171, two custom cables (174, not in my list yet), no ear guides, and some components. this was lot of info, and there were no issues.

these new cables i've received from them are exquisitely crafted. it's not easy to solder 8 wires in a tiny true rhodium plated plug (not glued, they are 100% repairable). resistance measurements are even. strain reliefs have been improved.

I will order from them, per your recommendation.

At least Erics info is on file here for someone else (perhaps yourself)

Any thoughts on my nylon sleeving query?

Thanks for reminding me about no ear guiders option as I will need to do that as well.

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #1,950 of 9,182

At least Erics info is on file here for someone else (perhaps yourself)

Any thoughts on my nylon sleeving query?

Thanks for reminding me about no ear guiders option as I will need to do that as well.
check this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread.676402/
they are lately commenting about cotton/nylon sleeves

edit: yea, good to know we can have a fluent communication with Eric, from Satin Audio. i'll might try an extension cable from them this way. thanks!

edit:
nice, you won't regret of it. i can vouch for these cables without a doubt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back