Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
May 9, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #1,396 of 9,086
now:
- source: xDuoo X20 last stock firmware, output impedance: 0.12Ω single end / 1Ω balanced out (when comparing cables, i use single end if any of them is single end; otherwise, i try both outputs), sharp roll-off, low gain, no eq nor any kind of dsp. volume matching at around 94dBSPL@1kHz.
- earphones: moondrop blessing (flc8s before)
- songs: i'm always trying to locate high dynamic range songs, plenty of different sounds. nothing strange, well known themes.. still searching the best themes for this purpose. i focus some songs, which i know well, or i listen to them before, to locate the passages and details to focus on. last used were "lose yourself to dance", daft punk, and "have a good time", the brand new heavies. my fav albums to search in:
edm (house, big beat): the chemical brothers (most albums), the prodigy ("the fat of the land" album), rinocerose ("installation sonore", "music kills me".albums),.saint germain ("tourist" album, electro+acoustic)
soul/funk: daft punk ("random access memories" album), the brand new heavies (most albums), maceo parker (many albums).
others: nicola conte ("jet sound revisited" album), michael jackson ("thriller" album). some themes from nine inch nails and massive attack.

there are no tonal variations (measured a ton of them). differences are very slight, and are about thickness, definition, textures, detail and imaging, imo. so i focus sub-bass and bass texture (rumble, definition), treble (cymbals, highs effects) definition, definition of low volume sounds at dense passages, and overall sensation: the best cables don't hide details, textures, but at same time overall sound is rounded, smoother, more pleasant to listen. with some low quality "silver" plated cables, for example, you seem to perceive more defined and detailed highs, but then you find they are too grainy, more metallic, and overall sound is not as smooth as it should be with your iem, you hear like a grain rain. with some low quality copper cables, you seem to perceive more sub-bass rumble, and smoother bass, but then you find you've lost some bass definition and texture, and overall sound is thicker, kind of loose bass, not as rounded and pleasant as it is with a better cable.

edit: forgot to tell the difference between 165 and 168. with 165 you get good sound. but 168 excels it in cleanliness (definition and textures -both lows and highs-), and overall sensation (rounded, more pleasant).
however, all these differences are not big. they don't transform an iem in another iem, but you can notice that slight difference, and get a more pleasant long session.

It's easier to trust your ears when you have a consistent method. Appreciate the description of your evaluation process!

May 9, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #1,397 of 9,086
Just for reference, ended up getting 054 and 168.

May 9, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,398 of 9,086
Only because that cable is copper/plated mixed.

The 3.5mm and mmxc connectors are identical to #57, except for a silver carbon fiber inlay vs a black one. That and it has a mixed cable that has both copper & plated wire. Instead of all copper or all plated like is available separately on AE.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32883824667.html
NICEHCK-MMCX-2Pin-Connector-4-4-3-5-2-5mm-Balanced-8-core-Pure-Copper-Cable.jpg_640x640q70.jpg_.webp

Didn't know that there's a mixed version of 057 too :thumbsup:

May 9, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #1,399 of 9,086
It's easier to trust your ears when you have a consistent method. Appreciate the description of your evaluation process!
even with a method, there are some days i get "analysis paralysis". this gives you an idea of how small the differences are
Just for reference, ended up getting 054 and 168.
good choice, hope you enjoy them a lot

May 9, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,400 of 9,086
apologies for a newbie question.

I notice that a lot of these cables come with a four rings on the mini jack but I see no mention of a microphone. If it has no mic what the extra rings for?

May 9, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #1,401 of 9,086

I notice that a lot of these cables come with a four rings on the mini jack but I see no mention of a microphone. If it has no mic what the extra rings for?

The standard 3.5mm TRS audio jack (3.5mm is the diameter, TRS stands for Tip, Ring, Sleeve) has 3 distinct contacts, for L+, R+ and L/R-. The jacks with 4 contacts (TRRS) split L/R- into L- and R- for "Balanced" audio. The TRS configuration is referred to as "Single Ended" or "SE". The story gets long after that.

But if you do not have a player that outputs balanced audio, then you should not worry too much about this and stick with the TRS jack (unless you want to use an adapter and be future proof).

May 9, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,402 of 9,086

Those are balanced cables. Each channel has a dedicated ground (R+, R-, L+, L-).

May 9, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,403 of 9,086
Can anybody with a Fiio LC-C cable comment on the microphonics? I'm looking to get the 4.4mm version for my Andromeda's and the ZX300 I have on the way. Cheers!

May 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #1,404 of 9,086
Can anybody with a Fiio LC-C cable comment on the microphonics? I'm looking to get the 4.4mm version for my Andromeda's and the ZX300 I have on the way. Cheers!
You don't say... Andromeda S from ZX300 4.4.
20190509_154446.jpg

May 9, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,405 of 9,086
Thanks for the explanations.

With my setup (see signature below) do you think a cable upgrade would improve the audio?

If so, would a balanced cable be compatible with my gear and if not would it still work but in an unbalanced way?

May 9, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,406 of 9,086
Thanks for the explanations.

With my setup (see signature below) do you think a cable upgrade would improve the audio?

If so, would a balanced cable be compatible with my gear and if not would it still work but in an unbalanced way?

Since you’re just starting out, I would just get a normal, single ended 3.5mm cable. For your level of IEMs, you can get a perfectly good cable for $20.

If you get a balanced cable now, you’ll have to deal with balanced-to-SE adapters sticking out of everything you want to listen to it with (not to mention the cost of the adapter).

It makes little to no sense at this stage. Do yourself a huge favor and keep it simple.

It would be like buying a Toyota Camry for commuting to work, and then going ahead and buying drag slicks, a racing parachute, and a roll cage for it (storing all that crap in your basement), just in case you ever wanted to install a 1000HP racing engine and use the Camry for professional drag racing (which may never even happen).

You can always buy a balanced cable down the road. And if and when you got to that stage, you can decide which balanced source to get, which will dictate which balanced termination type you’ll have to get (because there are numerous). Plus not to mention it’s unlikely you’ll even be using the same budget IEMs, so who knows what IEM you’ll have (and what termination socket that IEM uses). If you bought a balanced cable now, there’s no guarantee it would even be compatible with everything you’ll be using down the road.

And yes, I know you can buy balanced cables with swappable ends ($$$), but again let’s be realistic and keep it simple for this guy.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,407 of 9,086
thanks, are there any $20 cables you can recommend to a newbie that might be a good upgrade on the ones that come with the TRN 1MI

May 9, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,408 of 9,086
thanks, are there any $20 cables you can recommend to a newbie that might be a good upgrade on the ones that come with the TRN 1MI

I don’t have the IM1, but my advice is whatever you decide to get make sure it isn’t made for recessed 2-pin connections.

So from this photo, you want the ones that are shorter, NOT the ones that stick out longer at the 2-pin ends.

C105D6D9-D94A-4020-9020-018AAB6E4C60.jpeg

Here's 3 of my cables, which are good quality budget cables, and should work just fine on the IM1.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...-5-4-4mm-Earphone-Cable-With/32860319758.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kin...-5-4-4mm-Balanced-Cable-With/32968665384.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIC...ade-Cable-3-5-2-5-4-4mm-Plug/32971728152.html

Also, does anyone know if Kinboofi cables are banned from HeadFi? Many of the listing titles are associated with a banned seller, but that doesn't specifically mean the actual Kinboofi cable brand is banned...

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,409 of 9,086
Ok, since my Fidelio X1 connectors mod takes some time, will post pic just of cable:
9940497_l.jpg

Just reminder note - each core is self-sleeved with PO shrink tube (almost soft like PVC), which to my knowing is quite rarely done with DIY cables :)
terrible artisan job! well done! it looks great. guess you could have added two pieces of different diameter silicone pipe as progressive strain relief, or some heatshrink tube at least

May 9, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #1,410 of 9,086
terrible artisan job! well done! it looks great. guess you could have added two pieces of different diameter silicone pipe as progressive strain relief, or some heatshrink tube at least
Yeah, but I purposedly didn`t want to do that. "relief" shrink tube is inside jack shell and I prefer actually it little moving at the end. So far this way my cables have lasted without problem and look nicer :wink:
Tried classic "free-moving" spring reliefs but didn`t like the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back