Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #708 of 9,182
I picked up one of the Kinboofi braided cables.

I guess the bubble gum pink color is a terrible seller, because it’s half the price of the other colors.

29753CEC-D220-49EA-9BDE-3E36211C299E.jpeg

Once it arrives, if it looks too feminine in person I’ll just dye it some other color.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #709 of 9,182
I picked up one of the Kinboofi braided cables.

I guess the bubble gum pink color is a terrible seller, because it’s half the price of the other colors.

Once it arrives, if it looks too feminine in person I’ll just dye it some other color.

Maybe you can post a photo of this once you recieved them please..

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #710 of 9,182
Recommendations for MMCX/2Pin cables with a mic for >$20?

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #711 of 9,182
Maybe you can post a photo of this once you recieved them please..

Sure, will do. Although I do expect it to look the same as the stock photos.

It’s a bi-color cable 8-wire braided Kinboofi cable, with 1/2 pink and 1/2 silver wires. Available in mmcx and 2-pin, balanced (2.5mm & 4.4mm) and 3.5mm single sided.

I’m even seeing the cable for $37 at some sellers (over 3xs the price I paid). So it’s seems to be a real bargain if you can get past the pink color.

229D3D60-B6A4-487A-BDCB-5E0077AB14B9.jpeg 8C00C57E-3767-4395-995E-B4B25F5981B2.jpeg 914B5D87-CFD0-4CE7-8A0F-1682AC868676.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #712 of 9,182
Sure, will do. Although I do expect it to look the same as the stock photos.

It’s a bi-color cable 8-wire braided Kinboofi cable, with 1/2 pink and 1/2 silver wires. Available in mmcx and 2-pin, balanced (2.5mm & 4.4mm) and 3.5mm single sided.

I’m even seeing the cable for $37 at some sellers (over 3xs the price I paid). So it’s seems to be a real bargain if you can get past the pink color.
i own 2 cables from that series.

. 2pins version is wrong molded for kz in the 2 units i own -watch phase!-. you can remold the ear guides. soft and flexible.
various colors and terminations.
tpc 8c (black,oyde,M): 260..270..260..260

tpc 8c (gold,oyde,M): 346..636..374..443

links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32889396437.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32854751277.html

you can find less than $13 price at sales (11.11...). $37 is not a good value price for them; 1/3 of $37 is.

as you can see, different wire (and conductivity) used depending of colors of the cable.
but beware, my both units came with wrong ear molding for KZs; fixable using a hair dresser or hot air gun. check it before using them.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #713 of 9,182
i own 2 cables from that series.

. 2pins version is wrong molded for kz in the 2 units i own -watch phase!-. you can remold the ear guides. soft and flexible.
various colors and terminations.
tpc 8c (black,oyde,M): 260..270..260..260

tpc 8c (gold,oyde,M): 346..636..374..443

links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32889396437.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32854751277.html

you can find less than $13 price at sales (11.11...). $37 is not a good value price for them; 1/3 of $37 is.

as you can see, different wire (and conductivity) used depending of colors of the cable.
but beware, my both units came with wrong ear molding for KZs; fixable using a hair dresser or hot air gun. check it before using them.

Cool, I will check the pins and ear guides.

Thanks hakuzen!

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #715 of 9,182
For anyone who own the NiceHCK 2-pin type cables or something similar; which direction does the blue paint dot or the red paint on the one of the pins itself have to face on a KZ ZS6/7 connection? The rounded end or flat end?
HTB1rJYnXTjxK1Rjy0Fnq6yBaFXaQ.jpg

As long as you make them both point the same direction, it shouldn’t matter. So either make both dots point forward or both dots point backwards. What you don’t want is 1 pointing 1 way, and the other pointing the other way (which would connect the cable out of phase).

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #716 of 9,182
As long as you make them both point the same direction, it shouldn’t matter. So either make both dots point forward or both dots point backwards. What you don’t want is 1 pointing 1 way, and the other pointing the other way (which would connect the cable out of phase).
Thanks very much

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #717 of 9,182

Err... not quite. Polarity still matters as well. At least if you want your IEM/earbud/headphone/speaker to work in the manner it was designed.

Ever hooked speakers up backwards? They move in the wrong direction, leading to reduced performance and possible damage. Same can happen to the diaphragm of any audio device.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #718 of 9,182

Sorry but that is incorrect. A lot of IEMs contain components like Tantalum capacitors which are polarized components and reverse voltage will destroy the capacitor. So you need to connect the positive pin of the 2-pin into the positive socket in the IEM.

For that, you should find out which of the 2 pins is the positive pin. Take a multimeter and switch to mΩ reading. Connect one probe to the tip of the jack. Then connect the other probe to the LEFT side 2-pin connector, to one pin at a time and check for the one that gives you an impedance reading. That one is the positive terminal. Plug that into the positive socket.

In order to find which of the sockets is the one for the positive pin, check for the positive pin of the original cable and see how it was connected to the IEM.

Hope this helps. :)

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #719 of 9,182
Err... not quite. Polarity still matters as well. At least if you want your IEM/earbud/headphone/speaker to work in the manner it was designed.

Ever hooked speakers up backwards? They move in the wrong direction, leading to reduced performance and possible damage. Same can happen to the diaphragm of any audio device.

While you are technically right, in most cases simply plugging the cables in the same direction on both sides will put someone in a much better position than just randomly plugging them in (risking 1 side being out of phase).

With that said, the technically correct answer to OP’s question would be:

1. Open the shells of each IEM (easy when the cover screws on; hard on glued or welded shells)
2. Examine the wiring to see which pin is ground (which is standard on mmcx, but isn’t standard on every 2-pin cable and may vary), or verify with a multimeter.
3. Use a multimeter to test all cables and verify which pin is ground (which is standard on mmcx, but isn’t standard on every 2-pin cable and may vary).
4. Make sure to plug each individual cable to each individual IEM correctly (which may be 1 direction on 1 IEM and another direction on a different IEM).

95% of people aren’t going to go through all that rigamaroll, and many people don’t even own nor know how to use a multimeter. And many people aren’t willing to open their shells, or can’t so it without damaging the shells. Still others may not even own the proper tools (spudgers, small torx or pentabit screwdrivers, etc).

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #720 of 9,182
Sorry but that is incorrect. A lot of IEMs contain components like Tantalum capacitors which are polarized components and reverse voltage will destroy the capacitor. So you need to connect the positive pin of the 2-pin into the positive socket in the IEM.

For that, you should find out which of the 2 pins is the positive pin. Take a multimeter and switch to mΩ reading. Connect one probe to the tip of the jack. Then connect the other probe to the LEFT side 2-pin connector, to one pin at a time and check for the one that gives you an impedance reading. That one is the positive terminal. Plug that into the positive socket.

In order to find which of the sockets is the one for the positive pin, check for the positive pin of the original cable and see how it was connected to the IEM.

Hope this helps. :)

I could be wrong, but I have never in my life totally fried a tantalum cap reversing polarity with the low voltages most IEMs see (ie under 1v even when using a headphone amp).

In fact, circuit testers (such as Cirrus) specifically test cables and circuit boards using low voltage because it doesn’t fry components when doing reverse polarity testing for example. Of course it depends on the particular circuit design, voltage rating of the cap, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back