1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!

First

Back
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
Next

Last
  1. music_man
    These Silver plated Copper cheap cables are probably made out of very cheap and poor sounding industrial wire. Silver plated copper wire is common in industry and is less than 2 cents/Meter. I am afraid that is what they are using? Good 7n OCC solid Copper or Silver braids are not going to be cheap AFAIK. Most of that stuff is in fact very high end and very expensive. You get what you pay for. Except maybe Blue Jeans and DIY. Still, those are by no means high end cables. I am concerned you can either get good cables or cheap ones but not good and cheap cables. Otherwise high end companies would not be in business. This all seems to me to be Chinese junk wire. Sorry to spoil party

Relaxasaurus likes this.
  2. hakuzen
    you are probably right about these cables aren't true 7N OCC as advertised. this also happens with most chinese audio stuff (sources and phones).
    but you need good sources and phones to notice a difference between a 5N OFC and 7N OCC, same width, for example. and you get let's say a 5% sound quality improvement (this is a figure), for 400% the price.
    if you have top-notch gear and can afford expensive boutique cables, this is great. but chinese cheap offer is legit, it probably has better quality-value ratio, and it's more appropriated for budget gear.
    the purpose of this thread is to locate good value for the money cables, not the best quality cables.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    scotvl, DShim, CoiL and 4 others like this.
  3. Slater
    Well here’s my take on the cables.

The cheap Chinese braided upgrade cables may be using cheap Chinese wire, but they are surely a big step up from the cheap Chinese cables supplied with cheap Chinese budget IEMs.

haha

Alberto01, hakuzen and Dsnuts like this.
  4. PointyFox
    How's a 5% quality improvement "great"? What about the quality is improving? 5% higher cost materials? 5% lower VOCs in the insulation?

5. hakuzen
    LMAO
    sorry, i meant sound quality. and it was a figure: difficult to quantify sound quality improvement. any sound improvement is great, isn't it?
    i guess you can get an idea of what i was meaning. small improvement, many $

6. Slater
    I’m just joking around friend.

Cables don’t really make a hill of beans difference to me. Sonically at least. Neither do crystal stones, cryogenic freezing, cable lifters, pyramid triangle negative ion energy magic, etc. Others may hear these differences, but I don’t.

I’m not buying a $100 cable and putting it on a $25 IEM. I am however willing to buy a $7 ‘upgrade’ cable and put it on a $25 IEM. Especially when the thicker cable tangles less than the stock cable, the extra weight of the upgrade cable stays around my ears better without the use of ear guides, and the upgrade cable has less microphonics than the stock cable.

So to me that’s the value of the ‘upgrade’ cables I buy, even if the materials are not really an upgrade at all (5% in your example).

fokta, darmanastartes and hakuzen like this.
  7. music_man
    I completely agree. I misunderstood this thread. I should have read "bang for buck". I thought the OP meant $7 cables that beat $25,000 cables LOL. I would use the stock cables on $25 iem's. On $$$ iem's I would get a good cable just for the heck of it. I do not agree they do not make a difference. They only make up to maybe a 10% difference on huge dollar systems. I would not even put a cable on $400 iem's. Again not to be a jerk just trying to get people not to waste their money. Although for only $7 it does not really matter I guess.

8. KimChee
    I got an 8 wire copper cable for my Custom TF10s as the stock cable was having problems, for replacement cables and 8 wire configurations you can't beat the price.

9. KimChee
    80A1250C-F489-481A-A309-C6C0D248FD51.jpeg

hakuzen and Slater like this.
  10. PointyFox
    I don't find the concept of a $7 cable beating a $25000 cable worthy of a "LOL" at all. It's completely reasonable that they should sound the same.

Kenneth Galang likes this.
  11. Slater
    Just remember, for every $25000 cable, there’s a $70000 cable that will beat it. And for every $70000 cable, there’s a $150000 diamond encrusted solid gold cable that will beat that.

12. YesThisIs
    Need some advices on power cable, hopefully you guys can help me out.
    Requirements:
    - Cheap (Less than 100€)
    - At least 2 meters
    - Looks good is a plus
    - Schuko plug (EU-plug)

One that i managed to find that looked tempting was SUPRA's SPC-powercables. Any experiences?

13. hakuzen
    my experience about those fancy power cables..

got this one to try: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/pow...amplifier-headphone-amp-Pure/32897320493.html
    very thick, japan ofc copper with copper braid screen, furukawa or similar. really stiff.

i was receiving some radio (AM) interference through the power line, which could be heard at the tweeters of my bi-amplified studio monitors.
    first used aluminum foil for better isolation of the amplifier. still interference, so deduced the noise was coming through their power line.
    checked inside, and saw there wasn't any filter over the power line before reaching the transformer.
    tried the fancy thick cable. it is ready for 15A current, while the maximum current the amp is able to deliver is around 2A. completely oversized, and way more capacitance than a regular power cable.
    the cable seemed to amplify the interference, it was acting like an antenna (too much metal inside).

if you pretend to get a cleaner power, less high frequency noise, and your gear (amplifier, DAC, etc.) is not power isolated of filtered, the cable does little (even it can contribute to higher noise).
    better solution is adding an EMI filter before the gear transformer. it's mainly an LC filter. search for them at electronic stores. they filter high frequency noise from the power line.

we are discussing about influence of audio cables on sound. measurements of frequency response or distortion don't show important differences, if any. but when we do AB comparison, we find audible differences clearly, don't know why exactly. anyway, they are not big.
    then, imagine now how much impact would power cables have on sound. if the amplifier circuit is decently designed, it should be zero impact or so minimal that you couldn't notice it ever. current of sound should have nothing to do with current of power, if not leaking.
    however, i haven't done AB with power cables yet, so i give them the benefit of doubt.

in my opinion, those thick cables are justified if you need that the power cable is able to support >10A current (which is a big amount of current); if don't, the benefit is very doubtful, even disadvantages can arise.

edit:
    this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...-audio-hifi-power-cable-with/32855182145.html
    looks a bit more flexible (thinner), and should be more comfortable

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    PhonoPhi likes this.
  14. flameas
  15. Broquen
    I'd say that for metal or hard rock get a pure copper (not silver plated) but it depends on gear too.

First

Back
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
Next

Last