Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 27, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #6,496 of 9,159
Surely, cables can be distinguished, especially with all-BA IEMs.
The question is can you distinguish cables of the same resistance?
Never had the opportunity to but would love to try.

I'm a believer that lower resistance gives a more unadulterated sound.

That said, some people have argued with me that (particularly on higher end iems) the supplied cables were factored into the tuning of an iem and that changing to any other cable would ruin the way its meant to be experienced. What do you think?

I would think volume matching between cables would be very important in these tests. Gotta play back at the same dB I'd you're going to say there is a difference in sound.
I always volume match when doing comparisons.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #6,497 of 9,159
That said, some people have argued with me that (particularly on higher end iems) the supplied cables were factored into the tuning of an iem and that changing to any other cable would ruin the way its meant to be experienced. What do you think?
Out of my 77 iems, only one of them had this and it was with the Tansio Mirai TSMR 4 Pro.

TSMR - 4 Pro (low vs high cable resistance test).png

Stock cable has a very high resistance (also looks like a very bad cable) but sounds better than with a lower resistance cable.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #6,498 of 9,159
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #6,499 of 9,159
I'm still going back
After a long and slow back and forth with NiceHCK they have offered me a "$5 partial refund", which seems kind of insulting and absurd. I paid over $100 for a cable that starts falling apart within days of receiving it, I would expect them to replace it and apologize for sending a defective product. I think this stupid cable might be the last thing I ever buy from NiceHCK.
After even more back and forth they suggested a $10 refund, and then eventually offered to refund me $101 on a new order. So I've ordered a replacement cable and hopefully they actually refund me when it arrives.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #6,500 of 9,159
I'm still going back

After even more back and forth they suggested a $10 refund, and then eventually offered to refund me $101 on a new order. So I've ordered a replacement cable and hopefully they actually refund me when it arrives.
Some of those sellers on aliexpress will play those games with you, thats happened to me before as well. I've had sellers try to delay time so the statute of returns or dispute runs out, sellers saying they will discount some amount if I order a couple more items. Theres no recourse if you get sucked in to that game with them and they decide not to follow through.

Thats why I only buy from xinhs because he immediately takes care of it and always honors his word.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #6,501 of 9,159
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #6,502 of 9,159
He can do pretty much what you need I would think. Just message him he's incredibly nice and responsive! Best seller I ever encountered.
He just yesterday made me some balanced xlr to 3.5 trs for my Sundara. I had to get the proper pinout from hifiman, which took a day, but when I sent it to him my cable was shipped within 4 hrs!!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #6,503 of 9,159
@RikudouGoku how much did your measurement rig cost? And what parts did you use?

I've always been interested in putting one together myself but have never looked into it seriously.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #6,504 of 9,159
@RikudouGoku how much did your measurement rig cost? And what parts did you use?

I've always been interested in putting one together myself but have never looked into it seriously.
My cable measurement setup? its just the multimeter that is needed, the ANENG 8008. I bought it from amazon for around 30 usd but it was on ali for a lot cheaper (although seems to be discontinued now).

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #6,506 of 9,159
Jun 28, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #6,507 of 9,159
My cable measurement setup? its just the multimeter that is needed, the ANENG 8008. I bought it from amazon for around 30 usd but it was on ali for a lot cheaper (although seems to be discontinued now).
No not that, I'm talking about the iem measurment setup, the one with the FR graph

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #6,508 of 9,159
No not that, I'm talking about the iem measurment setup, the one with the FR graph
oh, that is more complicated. But you need an IEC711: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000918270847.html
(you also need to ask the seller for the calibration file after you got it, which is by telling them your serial nr.)

You then need to either:

1. Get a soundcard (I use the Asus Xonar U7) and just plug it into the mic input. Then you output the sound (the iem) with whatever amp you have connected (I use the jds atom for this), preferably something with as low OI as possible.
  2. Or you can get a dongle (apple dongle works and ban uses it) then you would need a few adapters.
    Ban´s setup: https://banbeu.com/graph/iem/

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #6,509 of 9,159
oh, that is more complicated. But you need an IEC711: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000918270847.html
(you also need to ask the seller for the calibration file after you got it, which is by telling them your serial nr.)

You then need to either:

1. Get a soundcard (I use the Asus Xonar U7) and just plug it into the mic input. Then you output the sound (the iem) with whatever amp you have connected (I use the jds atom for this), preferably something with as low OI as possible.
  2. Or you can get a dongle (apple dongle works and ban uses it) then you would need a few adapters.
    Ban´s setup: https://banbeu.com/graph/iem/
Thanks, how much did your whole setup cost you?

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #6,510 of 9,159
Thanks, how much did your whole setup cost you?
I use the IEC711 + soundcard + jds atom + Topping E10 (also got the jds ol switch, but not needed here so Im not counting it).

this is almost 400 usd....

Do keep in mind that I already had everything else other than the IEC711 when I wanted to start measuring iems, so I "only" paid like 70 usd for that coupler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back