Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
May 3, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #6,196 of 9,163
Dont know about you guys but TRN is one company I have no interest in. They might produce some cheap cables but I have never been curious about their cables. I would go XinHS or any of the more known manufacturers of cables on the express vs TRN. I know their stuff looks good on pictures but there has been some reports of shoddy soldering jobs and general poor quality overall. I believe their pure silver cables are the real deal but otherwise. Meh!

Spend that money on XinHS. Your gonna get a great cable from the folks that make them for many of the others like NiceHCK, KBEAR and the like. Speaking of cables I will be getting this I believe tomorrow will let you all know how it is. Not too many Penon cables that are at this price. PAC480 I believe it is a early sales price and will be going back up to $100 soon.

1620015913516.png

May 3, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #6,198 of 9,163
Heads Up!

If you've seen listings of the new KZ cables for 2021, specifically the "Gold, Silver, and Copper (784 strands)" one, get them now!

I don't know if you can get any more premium than this for less than 8 USD (Shopee). I got mine for around 5.40 USD with the help of vouchers and coins.

However, it is on the thicker and heavier side and the braiding is not the tightest. Plug and splitter is made of metal and is very weighty. Earhook's not the softest but surprisingly enough, it is very comfortable for my ears. The shape's also not awkward for my unit unlike the atrocious earhook of the TRN T2.

IMG20210503151423.jpg

There's a cheaper 500-something strand with the "same cable materials" but I can't tell anything else because I opted for the "more expensive" variant, specifically .60 USD more. https://shopee.ph/KZ-Headset-8-Core...0-PRO-ZSX-ZAX-ZS10-PRO-i.422322851.9741800571
1620028111937.png

It's a shame that it only comes in QDC and 3.5mm. Don't have any measuring tool to check cable impedance/resistance (? not sure of the term, sorry).

*I doubt that all 8 cores are soldered due to how cheap it is, but I can't prove this. Hoping someone does 😝 Cable material (Au, Ag, Cu) isn't believable as well. These might just be colored? I don't know.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #6,199 of 9,163
Heads Up!

If you've seen listings of the new KZ cables for 2021, specifically the "Gold, Silver, and Copper (784 strands)" one, get them now!

I don't know if you can get any more premium than this for less than 8 USD (Shopee). I got mine for around 5.40 USD with the help of vouchers and coins.

However, it is on the thicker and heavier side and the braiding is not the tightest. Plug and splitter is made of metal and is very weighty. Earhook's not the softest but surprisingly enough, it is very comfortable for my ears.

There's a cheaper 500-something strand with the "same cable materials" but I can't tell anything else because I opted for the "more expensive" variant, specifically .60 USD more.

It's a shame that it only comes in QDC and 3.5mm. Don't have any measuring tool to check cable impedance/resistance (? not sure of the term, sorry).

*I doubt that all 8 cores are soldered due to how cheap it is, but I can't prove this. Hoping someone does 😝
I removed my ear hooks as found them uncomfortable.

Edit: BTW that is a great price I paid nearer US$15 on Ali
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002287115561.html

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #6,201 of 9,163
How does it compare to other cables you have?
It is a good cable to begin with, has a rather wide stage and good extensions. I would say it is at least on par with the Faaeal cable but quite different sonically. The presentation is relatively flat compare to my favorite cables from XINHS in the USD40+ range mostly due the less converging sounds and less separation. But for this price I say it is very decent. And just like any other TRN cables, it is smelly, lol but it is not that bad the smell.

May 3, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #6,202 of 9,163
Out of curiosity, is this thread mostly about IEMs?
Is it ok to post about on or over the ear HP cables too? Just want to make sure I am in the right spot since it seems that most of the discussion is about IEM.

Do IEMs need a cable replacement more? What is it about IEM that people tend to replace their cables? (at least that is how it seems by this thread).

Are IEMs more popular? I would have thought that OTE HP are most popular within audiophiles.

Thanks.

May 3, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #6,203 of 9,163
Out of curiosity, is this thread mostly about IEMs?
It hasn't been explicitly mentioned by @Dsnuts as far as I'm aware. There are, however, some head-fiers that post headphone cables from time to time.
Do IEMs need a cable replacement more? What is it about IEM that people tend to replace their cables? (at least that is how it seems by this thread).

Are IEMs more popular? I would have thought that OTE HP are most popular within audiophiles.

Thanks.
Generally speaking, relatively "cheap" IEMs (sub-60 USD give or take) have stocks cables with less than optimal resistance (?) which are a big deal with IEMs as it may skew the FR (from the stuff I've read online, that is). Microphonics is also a big factor. Personally speaking, I just buy if the stock cable is unusable for me (look up the KZ stock cable and you might understand). Aftermarket cables also look sick and are highly customizable 😝 It's a given that cables play a bigger role in comfort with IEMs (over-ear) than with headphones.

Not sure what you mean by OTE. I'm also not the most knowledgeable person with cables and audio in general so take what I just said with a spoonful of salt.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #6,204 of 9,163
Generally speaking, relatively "cheap" IEMs (sub-60 USD give or take) have stocks cables with less than optimal resistance (?) which are a big deal with IEMs as it may skew the FR (from the stuff I've read online, that is). Microphonics is also a big factor. Personally speaking, I just buy if the stock cable is unusable for me (look up the KZ stock cable and you might understand). Aftermarket cables also look sick and are highly customizable 😝
Yes, usually budget iems = budget cables = high resistance.

But honestly, if the iem in question isnt an all-BA iem, it really doesnt matter much since they arent really arent that sensitive to FR changes due to different resistances.

May 5, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #6,206 of 9,163
1620221792429.png

So I got my cables. Wasnt able to pick up my package till this morning. I happened to have my Reecho SG-03 on hand to try this out and My goodness folks.

First of all THERE IS NO WAY THIS CABLE IS A $50 cable. No way! I am gonna say snap up on these if your even remotely interested in trying out a nicer Penon cable on the cheap. Will do more testing but the looks and how this cable feels is nothing I have ever seen for what I got these for. An absolute steal at this price. I told a few headfiers I would try this cable with a few popular earphones and will report for now I am loving everything about this cable. It looks way more premium in hand than in photos here.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,207 of 9,163
1620221792429.png

So I got my cables. Wasnt able to pick up my package till this morning. I happened to have my Reecho SG-03 on hand to try this out and My goodness folks.

First of all THERE IS NO WAY THIS CABLE IS A $50 cable. No way! I am gonna say snap up on these if your even remotely interested in trying out a nicer Penon cable on the cheap. Will do more testing but the looks and how this cable feels is nothing I have ever seen for what I got these for. An absolute steal at this price. I told a few headfiers I would try this cable with a few popular earphones and will report for now I am loving everything about this cable. It looks way more premium in hand than in photos here.
Did you got it with 2 pins version? If so,is the barrel with same design?

May 5, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #6,208 of 9,163
Price was right so I got both a 2 pin and an mmcx. Both cables looks like the picture above. Premium accessories the looks of the cable like I said is nothing like a sub $100 cable. I was initially thinking these would be more copper based and they are but has enough silver in it to make them sound like a much higher end copper cable. More like a UPOCC cable. Balanced tuning in what it does. The cores are thick and substantial. These are gonna match up extremely well with BA based IEMs. Actually will be very versatile.

Snap a set up folks as I am gonna assume the price will go back up to $100 which is an aggressive price for this cable but at half off right now these are gonna fly off the shelves for Penon. I just got the Reecho Insects awaken 4 BA earphone as well and will test the 2 pin version out on that one.

Love the cable at first sight and sound effects of the cable is very musical adding body to the sound with excellent detail. Suprise cable of the year for me so far.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #6,209 of 9,163
Price was right so I got both a 2 pin and an mmcx. Both cables looks like the picture above. Premium accessories the looks of the cable like I said is nothing like a sub $100 cable. I was initially thinking these would be more copper based and they are but has enough silver in it to make them sound like a much higher end copper cable. More like a UPOCC cable. Balanced tuning in what it does. The cores are thick and substantial. These are gonna match up extremely well with BA based IEMs. Actually will be very versatile.

Snap a set up folks as I am gonna assume the price will go back up to $100 which is an aggressive price for this cable but at half off right now these are gonna fly off the shelves for Penon. I just got the Reecho Insects awaken 4 BA earphone as well and will test the 2 pin version out on that one.

Love the cable at first sight and sound effects of the cable is very musical adding body to the sound with excellent detail. Suprise cable of the year for me so far.
Design of conductor housing looks identical to XINHS. But the accessories look premium on Penon for sure.
Screenshot_20210505-220027_AliExpress.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back