1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!

First

Back
118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127
129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138
Next

Last
  1. courierdriver
    Thanks for all your efforts, Slater! I think it's good news for many (like me) who became disillusioned by the this cable build fiasco. Only bummer for me is: I saw these yesterday on Ali at a good price, but didn't bite because of the recent problems. I ended up buying a couple of JCally 8 cores (one 3.5 and one 2.5), which I like cause I already own one connected to my ZS10 PRO, but the 16 core TRN would've been cheaper. I wish I had seen your most recent info before I bought the JCALLY's. I could've saved myself a few bucks. Note to self: read the most recent threads and replies on Headfi, before pulling the plug. LOL! Seriously though, @Slater...you're doing a great job and helping us all so much, by doing these dissections. Thanks again, so much! It's guys like you and @hakuzen who help us understand how cables and their construction works in conjunction with the sound of our gear. Please keep up the good work.

hakuzen, Dani157 and Slater like this.
  2. Slater
    Funny you should mention JC Ally cables. I have been increasingly suspicious of JC Ally cables. Many of the 3.5mm plugs JC Ally uses are awfully similar to the 3.5mm plugs used on the TRN 8-core cables. It’s possible that they’re made in the same factory.

I don’t have any proof of this one way or the other, as I haven’t dissected any JC Ally cables (yet). But I have this little voice in the back of my head that keeps me wondering about it.

It’s probably just me being overly skeptical/paranoid. But the fact remains that someone made the 6 and 8-core for TRN (as TRN didn’t make the cables themselves according to @KopiOkaya). So personally I wouldn’t want ANY cables from the same shoddy factory that the 8-core cables came from (whoever they are), no matter whose name is on the package.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    hakuzen, fokta and courierdriver like this.
  3. courierdriver
    That would be very unfortunate. Since I own one...and have 2 more on the way, I might donate one to you, for you to dissect. I'd be curious to find out if these things that I like so much more for comfort compared to the ISN C16 copper cable on my KPE, are really built as well as I hoped. I've got a 3.5 coming...I'm thinking I'll send it to you. I'd hate to give this away as a gift to someone, only to find out it's of lesser quality than the original, factory supplied cable. I'm up for it...throw me in, Coach! I'll let you know when it lands here, and I'll get your contact info to send it to you

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. BadReligionPunk
    My 2 JCAlly cables sound good and measure fine. Nothing weird or out of the ordinary about them. They do tend to be heavy after awhile. Who knows. I may have just been lucky. Probably would not order again just over weight and stiffness issues though. May end up donating to the cause as I have about 8 cables incoming from this last sale and won't probably be using.

courierdriver and Slater like this.
  5. Dani157
    Thanks for your analysis @Slater it really helps others in buying genuine cables on a budget. Unfortunately, my TRN cable got slightly messed up but after your analysis I'd surely go for them later on as my pair for desktop listening.

Slater likes this.
  6. fokta
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  7. hakuzen
    from @BadReligionPunk and my measurements of resistance of jcally cables, using the same cheap furutech styled jack than many TRNs:

(065) jcally 5n ofc/tpc 4c (copper,cheap furt,MV)..........88/86..89/89..90/82..92/93..[36]
    (065) jcally 5n tpc 4c (dark blue,cheap furt,MV)............84..184..80..107..[34.4]
    (066) jcally 5n tpc 8c (black,cheap furt,MV)...................249/155/155..130/145/146..126/138/142..126/140/142..[29.2]

from 4 cores cables, only 1 of 3 has solder issues: copper color ones were ok, dark blue one had some strands broken or not well soldered from the Right+ signal core.
    from 8 cores cables, only 1 of 3 has solder issues: 1 of 2 cores not well soldered from Left signal.

so 33% issues from 6 cables. it could be worse, it could be better.

no need of destroying cables to check solder issues. but useful to check other aspects of plugs internals (thanks, @Slater !)

8. BadReligionPunk
    Might be same manufacter then. However all 5 of my TRN 8 cores are all over the place. Like 100% What rating.

hakuzen likes this.
  9. RikudouGoku
    Is it better to buy the 0.78 mm 2pin TRN BT20S version if I want it to be compatible with as many Iems as possible?

10. BadReligionPunk
    I think so. I never have had a problem yet with my old BT20 .78 and interchanging it with various .75 iems. I also don't change them everyday though. I think if ever there is a problem you just need to splay the pins up a bit ever so slightly, but again I have never had to do that.

11. Slater
    They sell compact adapters for mmcx-to-2pin and 2pin-to-mmcx, so theoretically a BT20+a pair of the adapters would be as universal as you can get (except for a few proprietary IEM plugs like AT, DC, etc).

12. subwoof3r
    thanks, appreciated :)
    Just a last question about 171 (which probably be my next buy if so) : how is the subbass+bass quantity compared to 165 ?
    My only "issue" with 165 is the lack of quantity compared to my other cables. But like everything, it can be much appreciated on warm and bass emphasized headphones/IEMs/earbuds.

13. hakuzen
    cable 165 bass is tighter than cable 125; 125 has more bloom and body to sub, mid and upper bass. but extension and amplitude is better with 165, punchier drums, bass lines sound and feel very nice.
    that's why you notice more bass quantity with 125, because of the thickness: more body and higher size of notes. but in fact, 165 is more extended and has the same amplitude, it is punchier and more detailed.
    this is a matter of preferences.
    these up-occ copper wires are nearer to silver sensation than other copper wires. and up-occ silver plated are nearer to copper sensation than other silver wires.

i've not received 171 yet, but expect same bass quality than 165. maybe you get a bit more bass boldness due to 8 cores instead of 4, but expect it to be more similar to 165 than to 125.

archy121 and subwoof3r like this.
  14. Extrasensory
    I am looking for FiiO LC-2.5D/LC-4.4D impressions/reviews. Does it make the sound brighter if paired with warm IEMs?

15. MadDane
    Got my Ohm meter setup will hopefully be able to test these within the next few days.

First

Back
118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127
129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138
Next

Last