Low cost XLR Balanced input HP amp for LCD-2 ?
Apr 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

chris.d.m.

100+ Head-Fier
Please help if ya can...

The scenario:
LCD-2 is on the way. It will be used mostly in the studio to aid in mixing.
I have a Lavry DA-10 DAC which provides an ostensibly powerfull enough / sufficient on paper amp for the LCD-2.
But, I'm less than convinced it will give them enough juice / oomph to truly kick start their potential but, maybe I'll bd pleasantly surprised. ??

If I could afford it, I'd be glad to pick up the Violectric V 200, but I need to find a more low cost option.

Wondering about the Aphex headpod or ?... a Samson or ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 34
Getting a low cost balanced amplifier is difficult to procure. The LCD-2 perform well with tube amps and the only balanced one I can think of under $1k is the Little Dot MK VII SE. If you want a balanced SS amp for under $1k there are two amps.
Little Dot MK VII and Einar Sound VC-01. I have no idea how these amps perform so you may have to do some research. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 34

Quote:
Getting a low cost balanced amplifier is difficult to procure. The LCD-2 perform well with tube amps and the only balanced one I can think of under $1k is the Little Dot MK VII SE. If you want a balanced SS amp for under $1k there are two amps.
Little Dot MK VII and Einar Sound VC-01. I have no idea how these amps perform so you may have to do some research. 

Thanks. I was just in KOP today!

The LCD2's arrived yesterday. Plugged them straight into an 70's Sansui receiver being fed a CD player and listen to some Tom Waits, Shuggy Otis, Wilco etc. 
WOW. just love them. Very nice. I believe they'll be a valuable studio tool. I've been loving just listening. 
Feeling no regret with the quality of this purchase.

I'd like to stay SS for my purposes in the studio. I know this is totally un-headfi-cool but I might give the Aphex Headpod a try. I understand it's quiet and powerful. (Though I will check out those 2)

For studio mixing / monitoring I come out of a Lavry DA10 and into the very nice Shadow Hills Equinox (where the the mix is summed analog) > XLR out to monitors and the HP amp.
...point being, between the API compressor > Dangerous BAX EQ > Equinox, there's no shortage of rich analog color. Clean gain into the LCD2 might be the best option, in this scenerio anyway.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 34
Note that tubes are more linear devices than transistors, and when balanced, those "tubey" harmonic distortions disappear substantially.  You may enjoy the Little Dot MK VI.  On top of being a true push-pull, with the resulting decrease in harmonic distortion, it is also OTL, so you don't get the rolloff associated with output transformers

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 34

Quote:
Thanks. I was just in KOP today!

Oh cool. Didn't see you're located in Philli. I would suggest you stick with your Lavry for now and get a Headroom BUDA or Blossom balanced amp (both SS) when you have the funds.
Just letting you know there's a meet in Lansdale, PA next month so you could come and listen to some balanced SS amps.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/543288/southeast-pa-philly-lehigh-valley-so-jersey-mini-meet-may-7th

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 34

Quote:

Oh cool. Didn't see you're located in Philli. I would suggest you stick with your Lavry for now and get a Headroom BUDA or Blossom balanced amp (both SS) when you have the funds.
Just letting you know there's a meet in Lansdale, PA next month so you could come and listen to some balanced SS amps.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/543288/southeast-pa-philly-lehigh-valley-so-jersey-mini-meet-may-7th

Appreciate that. I'll be keeping May 7th in mind.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 34
You might also want to try the speaker outputs from your vintage Sansui amp...you'll have to make up a pigtail for use with the LCD-2's but apparently this method of amplification can yield stellar results. Another SS balanced option for under 1K is the all in one (DAC included with preamp capabilities) Audio-gd NFB-10ES 880USD (with ES9018 DAC chip) or the NFB-10 WM 780USD (dual Wolfson 8741 DAC chip). Either one of these is fully balanced (including the output of the DAC into the amp sections) and the preamp outputs.

Peete.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 34

Quote:
You might also want to try the speaker outputs from your vintage Sansui amp...you'll have to make up a pigtail for use with the LCD-2's but apparently this method of amplification can yield stellar results. Another SS balanced option for under 1K is the all in one (DAC included with preamp capabilities) Audio-gd NFB-10ES 880USD (with ES9018 DAC chip) or the NFB-10 WM 780USD (dual Wolfson 8741 DAC chip). Either one of these is fully balanced (including the output of the DAC into the amp sections) and the preamp outputs.

Peete.

He already has a balanced dac with balanced outputs, why would he need to get another one?

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 34
To further Peete's AGD recommendation, you can do a C39MK3 preamp modified to have balanced headphone output (AGD will do this for you). That is a bit above $1K with shipping. You would have a high end, fully balanced preamp with very good balanced head amp.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 34
Some interesting thoughts there.

Gotta say, just heard the HP out of the Lavry DA10 with the LCD2's tonight and it pretty darn good... at least it seems so tonight.
It has sufficient power and neutral-ish for mixing duties.

Re; Balanced, the HP amp would need to be to receive balanced input from the Shadow Hills Equinox.

If there's more of a budget shortly down the road, the Violectric V200, or the Buda seem like strong options. Albeit, a bit pricey.
They might also be more than I need for neutral power duties? Guess I'd have to A/B w the Lavry to know if it's overkill in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back