1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Love the Sony MDR-V6 except for one thing... advice?

1. kdern
    Just got a pair of Sony MDR-V6... love them except for the coiled cable.  I think they will be bulky if using the headphones for portability, and I expect they would get tangled in the bag.

My next option to try was the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 but at $150 it's double the price.

What advice would you give me?  Is there something comparable with a straight cable? 

2. greghodg
    I don't think you're going to find anything that comes close to the sound quality of the V6 without, as you said, spending roughly twice as much.  Plus, the M50 has a long cable as well.  For what it's worth, I often wear my V6s while out walking, and the cable doesn't get in the way all that much, I just bunch it up and stuff it in a pocket.  I've never had any trouble with it getting tangled from doing this.

3. Deep Funk
    Recable, the first option and a good option for later. Another headphone that is just as well suited for your preference and there are more options than the M50 (HD428/438, MDR 7506, SRH440, K240 S etcetera...) 

When it comes to the cable, for the price a headphone with a decent and sturdy cable like the V6 is a good headphone...

4. kdern
    Thanks for the feedback but the long coiled cable is driving me crazy.  Does anyone have suggestions of another option with a straight cable?  Budget is $100.  Closed style.

5. kdern
    Anyone?

6. Deep Funk
    Try a search on the Sony headphone range: 7506, 7505, 7509, CD900ST etcetera...