Love My RS-1s But...
Aug 2, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

maclrc

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I've had my Grado RS-1s for a while now and I love the way they sound, but they just aren't very comfortable (I realize I'm not saying anything new here!). I've got small ears and so the pads don't really sit on my ears, but half around, half on. The result is that the actual speaker part pushes against my ear, not the pads! 45mins is about as much as I can take before they are too uncomfortable to make further listening worthwhile.

I was wondering what cans people could recommend that are as good as the RS-1s, or better, with a similar (warm, yet detailed) sound. The hope is to maintain or improve on SQ, but obviously to increase comfort greatly.

Senn HD650s and AKG 701s, whilst well thought of, strike me as a downward step from the RS-1s SQ wise, so I'm a bit stuck as to what to go for.

My first thought is the GS-1000, are these any more comfortable, actually being designed to sit around, not on, the ear?

Please let me know your thoughts on the above and any recommendations you have.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the 701s or 650s are a step down. In my opinion they're both a step up. Especially the 701s.
Price is not a measure of performance necessarily.

You're absolutely right, price is not the best indicator of quality. Please note I have removed the price comment from the original post, because, as rds pointed out, it is not really relevant.

Should have said that from what I have read sound of the RS-1s often just comes ahead of the 701s and 650s, but not the comfort. I'll definitely track down some 701s for a demo though.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 24
the 650's and 701 are definately not a step down SQ wise imo, you mention you want a similiar sound, but imo the RS-1's are on the brighter side of the spectrum whilst the HD650 being on the dark and the K701's in between, none of the two headphones you mentioned sound similiar to the RS-1's. I haven't heard the GS-1000's but apparently they sound very different to any other Grado, and they are supposed to be comfortable (just look at the size of the pads
tongue.gif
) so they may or may not be what you are looking for.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 24
I'm willing to concede that the 650s and 701s aren't a step down in SQ, just have different sounds; I've also read about the senns being dark and the 701s balanced. I find the RS-1s excellent for my music (mostly rock) and amp (tube) though, it's just a comfort issue.

Would putting GS-1000 pads on the RS-1s be an option?

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 24
I'd check out Headphile's C-Pads if I were you. Yeah, it's true that most mid to high end dynamic cans play in a similar league as far as sound quality is concerned, but you're already satisfied by your RS-1's; and a pad swap will do the least to alter that tried-and-true signature. If you're looking to try something new, that's certainly cool - but if you'd like to maintain the most of the Grado sound, Headphile's bowl-alternatives will fit the bill perfectly.

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

pads seriously alter the sounds when it comes to grados..

That's what I was thinking. Changing the pads on the RS-1 seems like a bad idea, though admittedly I haven't tried.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just order some TTVJ flat pads, problem solved.

I thought the diameter of the hole in the flat pads is the same as the bowls? or is the diameter of the hole in the flats shorter? If so Maybe I should go venture back into Grado territory >:]

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

I for one thought the SR-225 sounded muddy with the Flat pads, so I chucked them. Headphile's C pads would be a better option in my opinion, although i've never tried them! But dear goodness, over $100 for pads? That's INSANE.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pads seriously alter the sounds when it comes to grados.. though i recommend sen 414 pads.

or grado comfies for a slightly different sound
or if you don't like the yellow

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 24
i prefer the bowls on the rs1 and the hf1...senn pads on other grados.

i'm not sure what the right answer is for comfort, though i might echo the suggestions to try the headphile c pads.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

I disagree, flats totally muddy up the bass and lower mids on my RS-1's and don't improve the comfort any.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 24
stax 4040 system is a highly resolving alternative to rs-1 if you can afford it. they're not as lively but still convey plenty of energy and is above hd650 and 701 just like rs-1 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back