Love my Denon D7200's... what else is like them?
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Reyess

New Head-Fier
Kinda' new
I am in -love- with my denon D7200's. I love the base impact they have, and they're just an overall fun listen. Smooth, non-fatiguing, etc. Awesome.

Are there other cans of this type that might be even better I should consider?

For reference, I've also had Hd600's and LCDX's.

The HD600's were very impressive RE: their imaging, but the treble hurt my ears after awhile.

The LCD X's were unremarkable. Maybe -too- neutral? Idk... meh. Maybe I had a bad pair?

I like the -idea- of open back, but haven't found a pair that gives me everything open offers, while also keeping what I (seem) to like about closed back (it is my impression closed back gives me better base impact etc...). That said, I'm not a bass head.

The HD600's didnt have enough base for me... and I was always tempted to EQ in base, or a Vshape.

So yea! Throw your recommends at me RE: cans that are like my D7200's but perhaps higher end still that I should dabble with. :)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 15
What sources or DAC/amps do you plug your headphones into?

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Maybe check out Beyerdynamic headphones that use Planar magnetic drivers?

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 15
I also like what i hear from d7200.

Best headphone i have heard, it is very fast a realistic with the transients which give a much better sound delivery, pfft sounds dead exact as pfft, other headphones i know and heard well not like these, other headphones have a masked like sound but none with these.

A very realistic sound that is balanced, accurate as well even with the bass, it has a very nice sub bass extension, mids are like totally unaffected by the rumble slam impact of the bass, nice smooth treble highs as well.

It is a very realistic fun headphone, even for people who are strict with neutral sounding headphones that even true audiophiles will agree with, for a realistic fun sound that is.

I never feel this headphone is holding nothing back really with it's ample potential sound and when a track calls for it, it shows it.

The d7200 has a flat-ish sound that is an enjoyable listen, it rumbles, slams impacts with the sub bass, i have heard proper flat headphones for professional use in the studio or whatever and the flavour of the d7200 is very agreeable to my ears because it ultimately has that element of flatness, but not boring fully flat sound.

I do recommend people to hear the d7200 so they can come to their own opinion or conclusion.

When i say the d7200 have a flat-ish sound, i mean the flatness to make sound enjoyable, hope that makes sense, same with a true flat sound but different it has that element here folks.

The ampleness of the bass and sub bass is excellent, its accuracy is like flatness but different, but dead exact accurate as with a true flat sound but with the bass here as well as mids and the highs of the d7200.

The ampleness is enough and satisfying for a convincing fun sound that is realistic, all the other headphones i tried are not fully body or full with the bass but with d7200 it is much better.

If sub bass is important that can rival other bass head phones, as well as best possible mids and highs in a fun balanced way that is flat-ish to some extent then try the d7200.

It is basic to describe headphones and could put people off these but you need to hear these, it is all about the architecture of the sound signature of frequency graph to give you a better idea.

They sound fantastic really,

Dan.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Kinda' new
I am in -love- with my denon D7200's. I love the base impact they have, and they're just an overall fun listen. Smooth, non-fatiguing, etc. Awesome.

Are there other cans of this type that might be even better I should consider?

For reference, I've also had Hd600's and LCDX's.

The HD600's were very impressive RE: their imaging, but the treble hurt my ears after awhile.

The LCD X's were unremarkable. Maybe -too- neutral? Idk... meh. Maybe I had a bad pair?

I like the -idea- of open back, but haven't found a pair that gives me everything open offers, while also keeping what I (seem) to like about closed back (it is my impression closed back gives me better base impact etc...). That said, I'm not a bass head.

The HD600's didnt have enough base for me... and I was always tempted to EQ in base, or a Vshape.

So yea! Throw your recommends at me RE: cans that are like my D7200's but perhaps higher end still that I should dabble with. :)

Thanks for reading!

If you happy with them, why pursue more expensive cans? you've found you like that's near TOTL, it's going to be hard to beat it.
Maybe consider: Fostex TH900 and Abyss models (very expensive, but unparalleled bass performance imo).

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 15
I also like what i hear from d7200.

Best headphone i have heard, it is very fast a realistic with the transients which give a much better sound delivery, pfft sounds dead exact as pfft, other headphones i know and heard well not like these, other headphones have a masked like sound but none with these.

A very realistic sound that is balanced, accurate as well even with the bass, it has a very nice sub bass extension, mids are like totally unaffected by the rumble slam impact of the bass, nice smooth treble highs as well.

It is a very realistic fun headphone, even for people who are strict with neutral sounding headphones that even true audiophiles will agree with, for a realistic fun sound that is.

I never feel this headphone is holding nothing back really with it's ample potential sound and when a track calls for it, it shows it.

The d7200 has a flat-ish sound that is an enjoyable listen, it rumbles, slams impacts with the sub bass, i have heard proper flat headphones for professional use in the studio or whatever and the flavour of the d7200 is very agreeable to my ears because it ultimately has that element of flatness, but not boring fully flat sound.

I do recommend people to hear the d7200 so they can come to their own opinion or conclusion.

When i say the d7200 have a flat-ish sound, i mean the flatness to make sound enjoyable, hope that makes sense, same with a true flat sound but different it has that element here folks.

The ampleness of the bass and sub bass is excellent, its accuracy is like flatness but different, but dead exact accurate as with a true flat sound but with the bass here as well as mids and the highs of the d7200.

The ampleness is enough and satisfying for a convincing fun sound that is realistic, all the other headphones i tried are not fully body or full with the bass but with d7200 it is much better.

If sub bass is important that can rival other bass head phones, as well as best possible mids and highs in a fun balanced way that is flat-ish to some extent then try the d7200.

It is basic to describe headphones and could put people off these but you need to hear these, it is all about the architecture of the sound signature of frequency graph to give you a better idea.

They sound fantastic really,

Dan.
How are the mids, slightly to moderately recessed? Do these sound good with hard rock music?

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 15
How are the mids, slightly to moderately recessed? Do these sound good with hard rock music?
Bringing this back from the dead because I just got it and I'm loving it.

It actually has forward mids and would describe it as midcentric, theres a small scoop in the lower treble but I would not call it dark, strong bass, bass hits hard and harder as it goes lower. Has nice stage and depth for a closed back. Imaging is very good. Separation is excellent.

Guitars have a nice zing to the sound. Quite unique signature, very different from anything else I've heard.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 15
Bringing this back from the dead because I just got it and I'm loving it.

It actually has forward mids and would describe it as midcentric, theres a small scoop in the lower treble but I would not call it dark, strong bass, bass hits hard and harder as it goes lower. Has nice stage and depth for a closed back. Imaging is very good. Separation is excellent.

Guitars have a nice zing to the sound. Quite unique signature, very different from anything else I've heard.
I've already purchased and sold. Modded them too. I thought they were pretty good in some areas, but not great.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 15
I've already purchased and sold. Modded them too. I thought they were pretty good in some areas, but not great.
I plan to mod them as well.

Very excited about this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back