Love custom iem - hate the isolation - is there a mod?
Jul 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

twylight

500+ Head-Fier
Is there a way to order a custom IEM that lets you hear stuff?  I cant stand being isolated at work or at home...must be latent paranoia or something.

Is there a way to:

Add something that picks up local sound without messing with the sound too much?
A bore they can add?  (and cap when you are on a plane next to crying babies)

I am ready to jump into a higher end custom iem, but I know I dont use them as much as I could because I dont like the extreme isolation.

Any thoughts?

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 8

Futuresonics customs allow for a variable air vent so you can choose how much isolation (plus it adds to bass and soundstage, or so I've heard). I don't have them, but you can find the threads on them and there will be a new review on them in a few weeks.

They are the only dynamic driver customs.
Quote:
Is there a way to order a custom IEM that lets you hear stuff?  I cant stand being isolated at work or at home...must be latent paranoia or something.

Is there a way to:

Add something that picks up local sound without messing with the sound too much?
A bore they can add?  (and cap when you are on a plane next to crying babies)

I am ready to jump into a higher end custom iem, but I know I dont use them as much as I could because I dont like the extreme isolation.

Any thoughts?

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I have heard of musicians getting customs with a small hole on the faceplate to hear more of what's going on around them. It shouldn't affect the sq of BA customs. The only custom that uses dynamic drivers are the Future Sonics and they need the hole for air movement to get a better bass response. If you need more isolation you could always put a little tape to cover up the hole.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Doesn't UE or JHA have one of those customs where isolation is decreased? I forgot which one but it was specifically to let musicians hear the crowd.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I have heard of musicians getting customs with a small hole on the faceplate to hear more of what's going on around them. It shouldn't affect the sq of BA customs. The only custom that uses dynamic drivers are the Future Sonics and they need the hole for air movement to get a better bass response. If you need more isolation you could always put a little tape to cover up the hole.

No need for tape, they come with several different sized vent plugs--one of which seals the vent entirely for isolation.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Doesn't UE or JHA have one of those customs where isolation is decreased? I forgot which one but it was specifically to let musicians hear the crowd.

Quote:
JH Audio gives you the option for an ambient vent, which reduces the isolation.

Yeah, both JHA and UE offer ambient vents options. This greatly reduces the isolation. For Ultimate Ears, this option costs an extra $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back