Lou Reed, 1942-2013
Oct 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tru blu

Headphoneus Supremus
…sigh…

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-velvet-underground-leader-and-rock-pioneer-dead-at-71-20131027

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 20

Thanks for everything Lou. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 20
What a shame...I have been a Lou Reed fan for decades. I have been a big fan of his wife Laurie Anderson for almost as long. Rest in peace Lou. (and the angels sang...do do-do do-do do do do. You walked on the wild side man! I'll miss you...

"Heavenly wine and roses,
Seems to whisper to her when he smiles,
Heavenly wine and roses,
Seems to whisper to her when she smiles"

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 20
Since it's almost Halloween, I'll go with "Halloween Parade" for now:

"...this celebration somehow gets me down
Especially when I see you're not around..."

Thanks Lou!

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 20
  Halloween Parade... that reminds me, I must get "New York" out for a spin. Great album.

And "Songs For Drella" would be quite appropriate at this time.

Good points...I just ordered the RCA version of "Street Hassle." I need to get "New York" out for a listen. I remember how impressed I was with that album when it first came out...

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 20
I was driving in my car, and NPR (National Public Radio) was reporting the news of Lou Reed's death. At the end of the news segment, they played a large portion of "I'm Waiting For The Man" by The Velvet Underground.

I felt sad, because I couldn't ever remember hearing that song on the radio. It's like that song never got played on the radio until after Lou Reed was gone.

But in a way, I was happy, because they finally were playing it.

It was actually blasting on national FM radio. It was like Lou was having the last laugh. 
smile.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 20
I heard the same story on NPR...it is nice to see that Lou Reed is getting the recognition that he deserves, but somehow I know that the mainstream music listening public is saying, "Who is this guy, oh he did that song "Walk On The Wild Side." I'm getting out and listening to "New York" later today...

NPR Music: "Never Back Down: Fresh Air Remembers Lou Reed"
http://www.npr.org/2013/10/29/241437872/never-back-down-fresh-air-remembers-lou-reed

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 20
Saw him live back in the '70s.
He paved the way for so many...

That would have been cool...I saw him at The Tower Theater near Philadelphia when he was on the tour for "New York" (1990-91 ?) It was a great concert...I saw his wife, Laurie Anderson about two years ago when she was on tour for "Homeland" at The Birchmere near Washington D.C. and she was great. (I was secretly hoping during the whole concert that Lou Reed would walk on stage and join her for a song...didn't happen) What a creative household that must have been...

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 20
…did y'all ever see that article where he rated speakers? He was an unreconstructed gear-head…

http://news.morningstar.com/all/market-watch/TDJNMW20131028213/update-shopping-advice-from-lou-reed.aspx

Actually, he had many sides…the other day I put on 1969: The Velvet Underground Live, Vol. 1…I always chuckle at the intro, where Lou lets the audience of Texans choose what length set they wanna hear ("does it matter what time you go home tonight? Nobody here has school tomorrow?"), and then—'cause they're gigging in football country—talks football…"we saw your Cowboys today and they never let Philadelphia even have the ball for a minute…it was 42-7 by the half…it was ridiculous…you should give other people just a little chance, in football anyway…this is a song called I'm 'Waiting For My Man'"…call him the entertainer…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back