Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Dec 6, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #226 of 443
Per the same question you mirrored in W2 thread, as of now no other higher-end usb-dac dongle has play/pause/skip remote playback control. Hiby FD1 does have it, but it is not in the same category as S2/W2/RU6. With a cable, if you are not having luck with Lotoo cables, try DDHifi or OE Audio.
Thanks a lot! Based on your experience, are S2 and W2 actually comparable in terms of SQ, former being a tad thicker and warmer and latter being a tad brighter and more transparent, or switching from W2 to S2 will feel more like a downgrade?

Another thing which worries me is power output: will S2 be sufficient for my HPs if I usually listen to MSR7b on 65-70/100 using high gain? A few months ago I also tried A2C in a local shop and liked it a lot though W2 was definitely too weak for these, so I suppose the same to happen with S2 as well?

I'm trying to stop myself from buying a used DX300, and S2 still seems a viable option for that solving at least some downsides I'm telling myself as an excuse to pull the trigger on DX300 :)

Regarding cables, I use DD ones now though they barely survive 3-4 months too :frowning2:

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #227 of 443
Thanks a lot! Based on your experience, are S2 and W2 actually comparable in terms of SQ, former being a tad thicker and warmer and latter being a tad brighter and more transparent, or switching from W2 to S2 will feel more like a downgrade?

Another thing which worries me is power output: will S2 be sufficient for my HPs if I usually listen to MSR7b on 65-70/100 using high gain? A few months ago I also tried A2C in a local shop and liked it a lot though W2 was definitely too weak for these, so I suppose the same to happen with S2 as well?

I'm trying to stop myself from buying a used DX300, and S2 still seems a viable option for that solving at least some downsides I'm telling myself as an excuse to pull the trigger on DX300 :)

Regarding cables, I use DD ones now though they barely survive 3-4 months too :frowning2:

MSR7b are not hard to drive, and I don't expect it to be a problem to use with S2, especially since it comes with 4.4mm bal cable and you can use bal output. I just dusted off my original MSR7, and connected to 3.5mm of S2 I have it set to 59/100 and Low Gain; sounds pretty good.

Regarding upgrade/downgrade, it will depend on a pair up. Yes, S2 has smoother upper frequencies which might reduce resolution when you are pairing it with warmer tuned IEMs. But it could also be a blessing when paired with brighter and more sibilant IEMs.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #228 of 443
MSR7b are not hard to drive, and I don't expect it to be a problem to use with S2, especially since it comes with 4.4mm bal cable and you can use bal output. I just dusted off my original MSR7, and connected to 3.5mm of S2 I have it set to 59/100 and Low Gain; sounds pretty good.

Regarding upgrade/downgrade, it will depend on a pair up. Yes, S2 has smoother upper frequencies which might reduce resolution when you are pairing it with warmer tuned IEMs. But it could also be a blessing when paired with brighter and more sibilant IEMs.
Will the S2 be a good pairing with FAudio Dark Sky?

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #229 of 443
Will the S2 be a good pairing with FAudio Dark Sky?

Just tried, it does pair up great, but you will have to switch S2 to low gain. Even if I match the listening volume between low and high gain, in HG the sound is a bit too bright in upper mids/lower treble. When I switch to LG, it sounds more natural and smoother.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #230 of 443
Just tried, it does pair up great, but you will have to switch S2 to low gain. Even if I match the listening volume between low and high gain, in HG the sound is a bit too bright in upper mids/lower treble. When I switch to LG, it sounds more natural and smoother.
Thank you. I am sensitive to bright upper mids. Any other dongle that you recommend that is well suited for them. May be the ru6 or whatever that pairs best with them.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #231 of 443
Thank you. I am sensitive to bright upper mids. Any other dongle that you recommend that is well suited for them. May be the ru6 or whatever that pairs best with them.

S2 has the smoothest tonality out of S2, W2, and RU6, and pairs up better with neutral and more revealing IEMs.

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #233 of 443
S2 has the smoothest tonality out of S2, W2, and RU6, and pairs up better with neutral and more revealing IEMs.
I can confirm this regarding S2 and RU6. I am on the fence right now between these two because of exactly this "issue" (smoother vs. more realistic). Having said that both are very good and it's a question of synergy and personal preferences.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #234 of 443
I can confirm this regarding S2 and RU6. I am on the fence right now between these two because of exactly this "issue" (smoother vs. more realistic). Having said that both are very good and it's a question of synergy and personal preferences.
I totally agree with you on this one. Exact same sentiment from me. BOTH are exceedingly amazing. And yes both better than W2

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #235 of 443
I totally agree with you on this one. Exact same sentiment from me. BOTH are exceedingly amazing. And yes both better than W2
Yeah, I find it really difficult, because I only need/want one.

All the extras of the S2 are of no interest for me (MQA, extra button, EQ presets, console support), so it comes down to sound quality.

Although I have to admit that I prefer the form factor and design of the S2 and consuming less battery is also appreciated. Additionally the slight noises that the RU6 makes when rewinding/skipping/fast forward in tracks and sometimes when changing volume are minor drawbacks as well.

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #236 of 443
Who has the S2 in stock at this time?

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #240 of 443
Here the info about the line out mode:

1. New feature: Line Out Mode.
2. Compatibility improved.

Instructions - How to enter Line Out Mode:

1. Unplug both 3.5 and 4.4mm sockets.
2. Press the [Fn] key and switch to the [Line Out] menu. Press <+> to Enter or <-> to Exit.
3. When in [Line Out] mode, plug in to the 3.5 or 4.4mm socket for listening.

Notice:

1. In [Line Out] mode, ATE and PMEQ are disabled.
2. In [Line Out] mode, Output volume cannot be adjusted.
3. [Line Out] mode exits automatically for safety reasons if both 3.5 and 4.4mm sockets are plugged in.
4. [Line Out] mode exits automatically when unplugged.
5. To manually exit [Line Out] mode, press [Fn] immediately followed by <->.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back