Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Oct 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #107 of 443
Reduced power draw. Has this been checked out / compared? Are we gaining an extra few minutes of battery time or something more significant?

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #108 of 443
Reduced power draw. Has this been checked out / compared? Are we gaining an extra few minutes of battery time or something more significant?

Reduced current draw relative to what, S1? Per my measurements, S2 draws about 10mA more than S1, as it should considering higher output power at max volume. Relative to W2, it still draws less current.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #109 of 443
I have S2 and W2 in front of me, and S2 balance output has the same technical performance as W2. The main sound difference, W2 is a little brighter, being slightly more revealing, while S2 tonality is more neutral, being slightly more natural in comparison. The value/price is the same, while S2 draws less current and offers more features. Lotoo tipped the scale in this comparison to W2.
looking forward to your review especially compared to the W2 !

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #110 of 443
Will have some soon. But as a spoiler, S2 approached W2 level of technical performance, close enough. Even their pricing is the same if you factor in new Lotoo S2 lighting cable (also updated). There is some difference in tonality, need to spend a little more time to collect my notes, but I think S2 might be edging W2 now out because it offers full remote control playback (play/pause/skip), carry on belt clip, and less current draw to make it friendlier with iPhones.
Compared to S1, is the sound still warm and smooth?

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #111 of 443
Are you able to use aftermarket usb to lightning cables with the S2? For example do I really have to buy the lightning cable sold by MusicTek with this or can I use one of the highly recommended lightning cables people over using over in the W2 forum (like the ddhifi mfi06 or OEAudio lighting cables)?

I seem to remember reading somewhere the with the S1 you needed to use the Lotoo branded lightning cable in order for the device to work at all. If that’s still the case I’ll pass as I feel included accessories with any device are almost never very high quality.

Also how’s the quality on the belt clip? Looks a little plastic-y and cheap in the pics.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #112 of 443
Are you able to use aftermarket usb to lightning cables with the S2? For example do I really have to buy the lightning cable sold by MusicTek with this or can I use one of the highly recommended lightning cables people over using over in the W2 forum (like the ddhifi mfi06 or OEAudio lighting cables)?

I seem to remember reading somewhere the with the S1 you needed to use the Lotoo branded lightning cable in order for the device to work at all. If that’s still the case I’ll pass as I feel included accessories with any device are almost never very high quality.

Also how’s the quality on the belt clip? Looks a little plastic-y and cheap in the pics.

You can use any usb-c to lightning OTG cables with it, from lotoo, l&p, ddhifi, oeaudio. Plastic clip is just OK, nothing lasts forever, will depend on the level of use and abuse :)

Oct 19, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #116 of 443
Cool it has button control but whenever I use a dongle out and about I just use this Keychain Bluetooth controller that's like 10 bucks. Works great and of course works with any source that has Bluetooth.

The fiio looks really solid and the price is good but I'm like musicday, I'm used to having a screen :wink:

BT controller - with W2 for size comparison.

20211019_161657.jpg

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #117 of 443
If you don't care about audio playback controls, the only other reason to get S2 if you are using W2 and iPhone and it stutters at higher volume due to higher current draw of W2.
Comparing the W2 to S2, I agree with the points brought by @twister6 .

From a practical aspect, I prefer the buttons on the S2. I am always messing up with the W2 volume, but I might be the problem!
Even if you are an MQA user, I don't hear any benefit with the S2 compared to W2.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #118 of 443

From a practical aspect, I prefer the buttons on the S2. I am always messing up with the W2 volume, but I might be the problem!
Even if you are an MQA user, I don't hear any benefit with the S2 compared to W2.

... I switched completely to Amazon Music HD, and no longer have to worry about MQA support or split hairs about its benefits :D

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #120 of 443

If the S2 sq is a wash with the W2, then the principal advantage to non-MQA listeners could be battery-life. How much more efficient than the W2 is the S2? With my Samsung S20 the W2 uses about 10% an hour, my A&K PEE51 (current favourite) uses about 12% an hour - both with light IEMs. Is there any comparable data from S2 users?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back