Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Oct 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,206 of 2,329
Is the S1 firmware version for Tidal compatability 1.0.0.9? That's what I have on my S1.

I have the latest Tidal on my Galaxy S10+. Tidal recognizes the S1 and asks to allow access. No matter what I play (MQA or standard hifi) the sound is very distorted and actually sounds slower than the correct tempo. I was wondering if this was due to perhaps an incompatibility with UAPP which tries to grab the S1 first, though after the S1 is connected to the phone, I close all apps, and then bring up Tidal.

Anyone have similar results or can shed some light on this for me?

Edit: UAPP works fine with no problems.

Edit2: Upgraded S1 to 1.0.0.10. Same problem

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,207 of 2,329
I've just checked and I have the most recent S1 firmware and the latest Tidal update. When I connect the S1, UAPP asks me to allow access, which I deny, then I launch Tidal and I get:

"Allow Tidal to access PAW-S1. This app has not been granted record permission but could capture audio through this USB device"

I ok this and try to play a track and...distortion! The display is now showing "OFS / 4X" which I take to mean it's decoding MQA but the music is totally corrupted.

So, I guess the S1 is not working through the Tidal app yet, at least not for me. Unless I've missed something.

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,208 of 2,329
I've just checked and I have the most recent S1 firmware and the latest Tidal update. When I connect the S1, UAPP asks me to allow access, which I deny, then I launch Tidal and I get:

"Allow Tidal to access PAW-S1. This app has not been granted record permission but could capture audio through this USB device"

I ok this and try to play a track and...distortion! The display is now showing "OFS / 4X" which I take to mean it's decoding MQA but the music is totally corrupted.

So, I guess the S1 is not working through the Tidal app yet, at least not for me. Unless I've missed something.

I get the same thing. But I get the same distortion for any Tidal playback, not just MQA. Do you?

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2,209 of 2,329
Is the S1 firmware version for Tidal compatability 1.0.0.9? That's what I have on my S1.

I have the latest Tidal on my Galaxy S10+. Tidal recognizes the S1 and asks to allow access. No matter what I play (MQA or standard hifi) the sound is very distorted and actually sounds slower than the correct tempo. I was wondering if this was due to perhaps an incompatibility with UAPP which tries to grab the S1 first, though after the S1 is connected to the phone, I close all apps, and then bring up Tidal.

Anyone have similar results or can shed some light on this for me?

Edit: UAPP works fine with no problems.

Edit2: Upgraded S1 to 1.0.0.10. Same problem

This distortion and slow playback could happen sometimes if you have another audio playback app open in the background. Make sure everything else is closed. Also, new S1 fw is coming soon with Tidal app fixes!

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #2,211 of 2,329
This distortion and slow playback could happen sometimes if you have another audio playback app open in the background. Make sure everything else is closed. Also, new S1 fw is coming soon with Tidal app fixes!
I don't think any other app is running, but I'll check that. Good news about the new firmware! I thought it was down to Tidal adding support for DACs

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #2,214 of 2,329
Just found this on Lotoo's Facebook page

Screenshot_20211028-220247_Chrome.jpg

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #2,216 of 2,329
Just tested soon to be released new S1 fw, and it fixes issues with Tidal app. Tested on my older Galaxy S9, works great, though it will show OFS/4x. In UAPP shows MQA/4x.

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #2,217 of 2,329
Hello. I am using S1 with my S10e and UAPP.

When playing music from UAPP my S1 shows that that all mp3/flac 16bit/24bit files are played in 32bit mode. Sampling is displayed correctly.
Second one: I messes something up and DSF files (5.6 MHz) are just noise.
Third one: sometimes, just after starting UAPP and start playing, the first moment of the played track is cut.

My setup is:

Internal audio driver > HiRes Direct driver
Internal HiRes audio
HiRes driver flags > all off
HiRes driver audio format> auto
Bit perfect mode > on
Upsample > off
Buffer size > 600 ms
Use with Bluetooth output > true
Bypass system EQ and Dolby > true
Limit cast to 48kHz > false
USB audio
Upsample > off
Bit perfect mode > on
DSD mode > Native DSD
High quality DSD conversion > true
Limit sample rate > no limit
USB audio tweaks
Use USB DAC > true
Free USB bandwitch after playback > true
Buffer size > 600 ms
USB device speed > auto

All other options from these sections are off/default.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #2,218 of 2,329
Hello. I am using S1 with my S10e and UAPP.

When playing music from UAPP my S1 shows that that all mp3/flac 16bit/24bit files are played in 32bit mode. Sampling is displayed correctly.
Second one: I messes something up and DSF files (5.6 MHz) are just noise.
Third one: sometimes, just after starting UAPP and start playing, the first moment of the played track is cut.

My setup is:

Internal audio driver > HiRes Direct driver
Internal HiRes audio
HiRes driver flags > all off
HiRes driver audio format> auto
Bit perfect mode > on
Upsample > off
Buffer size > 600 ms
Use with Bluetooth output > true
Bypass system EQ and Dolby > true
Limit cast to 48kHz > false
USB audio
Upsample > off
Bit perfect mode > on
DSD mode > Native DSD
High quality DSD conversion > true
Limit sample rate > no limit
USB audio tweaks
Use USB DAC > true
Free USB bandwitch after playback > true
Buffer size > 600 ms
USB device speed > auto

All other options from these sections are off/default.
Try DSD MODE > DoP

Oct 29, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #2,220 of 2,329
Just tested soon to be released new S1 fw, and it fixes issues with Tidal app. Tested on my older Galaxy S9, works great, though it will show OFS/4x. In UAPP shows MQA/4x.
Does the new FW change the attenuation at 12kHz and above? I think it is important for consumers to know. - absolutely Lotoo has every right to exercise their creativity in the Implemenation of their product, but similarly consumers have a right to know.

FWIW - and it might not be worth much - my opinion is they should have made the 12kHz and above attenuation a tuning option for the consumer, an EQ preset. But that is just my opinion. I have the S1 but think I will pass on the S2 and stick with the L&P line of dongles for now, but look forward to Lotoo addressing this in which case I will reconsider. My purchase decisions are inconsequential to Lotoo, and I am not saying this to take some sort of stand, just a personal choice…!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back