Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,081 of 2,329
Funny thing is neither the $109 BTR5 or the $99 5K suffer from EMI. The problem is not LTE. The problem is Lotoo's design and implementation.
Perhaps, I don’t use my BTR5 in USB DAC mode, only Bluetooth, so I don’t have first hand experience. However my 9038s gen2, and to a much lesser extent the 9038s gen3, suffer from exactly the same problem. And obviously the Lotoo does. On the other hand neither my Hidizs S8 nor mini-DSP il-DSP have this problem. As I said, the Lotoo isn’t the only dongle with this problem... but I didn’t say they all had this problem :) But I probably should not have said “all testing is done indoors where the mobile devices used with the dongles are connected to WiFi and thus LTE interference is completely missed.” That was an overstatement, since some dongles do get it right. But I am pretty sure where this issue was missed it is why it was missed, no one thought to test for LTE interference in prototype stage. Of course the design and implementation of the Lotoo (and others) have this flaw, we have existence proof of that statement. But that is the kind of thing early product development testing is supposed to find - no product gets it right until the testing shows where it is wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #1,082 of 2,329
Indeed it is. Great pairing. The LX sound fantastic through it as well.
I’m definitely looking forward to checking out the LX with the S1.

I just got an update from DHL and it should be delivered in Monday 14th. That seems ages away.

Edit: I‘ve now just had my import/VAT duty invoice from DHL. Lovely 😢

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,083 of 2,329
Perhaps, I don’t use my BTR5 in USB DAC mode, only Bluetooth, so I don’t have first hand experience. However my 9038s gen2, and to a much lesser extent the 9038s gen3, suffer from exactly the same problem. And obviously the Lotoo does. On the other hand neither my Hidizs S8 nor mini-DSP il-DSP have this problem. As I said, the Lotoo isn’t the only dongle with this problem... but I didn’t say they all had this problem :) But I probably should not have said “all testing is done indoors where the mobile devices used with the dongles are connected to WiFi and thus LTE interference is completely missed.” That was an overstatement, since some dongles do get it right. But I am pretty sure where this issue was missed it is why it was missed, no one thought to test for LTE interference in prototype stage. Of course the design and implementation of the Lotoo (and others) have this flaw, we have existence proof of that statement. But that is the kind of thing early product development testing is supposed to find - no product gets it right until the testing shows where it is wrong.

I wonder if it's possible for them to fix this issue with a software update? If they can, maybe we should all experiencing this issue send them support requests and maybe we can get them to update it

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,084 of 2,329
I wonder if it's possible for them to fix this issue with a software update? If they can, maybe we should all experiencing this issue send them support requests and maybe we can get them to update it
Electrical interference comes from a poorly shielded wire/trace/component. Software would have a tough time differentiating between signal due to music and signal due to noise injection. You can definitely implement software based filters in some cases, but the noise you are filtering out has to be distinguishable from the signal. My guess is that a fix probably requires better shielding of the victim circuit.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,086 of 2,329
Hopefully Lotoo won't forget about the firmware updates for the S1, now as they are busy with the release of the TiLPGT.
There are actually multiple new products in the pipeline besides the TiLPGT :). 2020 and 2021 are going to be very busy for them.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #1,088 of 2,329
Hopefully Lotoo won't forget about the firmware updates for the S1, now as they are busy with the release of the TiLPGT.
What is the TiLPGT? I’ve just done a google search and nothing comes up.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,089 of 2,329
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,090 of 2,329
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #1,091 of 2,329
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,092 of 2,329
Thanks. I’m actually reading through that thread at the moment, but I’m currently only on page 12 ( at that point people were still trying to get initial impressions of the LPGT!).
I think the consensus has now been that the LPGT is one of the best in the market, certainly at the same level of the flagships from Sony, AK, or Cayin.

Given that Sony may not be updating their NW1Z player until perhaps this time next year, I think it is a good time to consider purchasing LPGT/LP6K/TiLPGT.

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,093 of 2,329
Just received my S1 yesterday and have only been playing around with it for a couple of hours (ie. not "burnt in" yet) but so far i'm mighty impressed. I'm surprised that it's been able to drive everything i've thrown at it so far:
  • Westone 4R - dead silent, well controlled (i find the bass is boomy/flubby when not properly amped), improved imaging, separation and clarity compared to my Fiio X3 + ALO Continental V2 combo, which is definitely more lush sounding
  • AKG/Massdrop K7XX - More than enough juice to drive these cans (62 ohms / 105 dB/V) on high gain, very sweet combo
  • Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX - Was surprised it could drive these relatively high impedance cans (300 ohms / 103 dB/1Vrms) with room to spare (high gain)
  • Audeze LCD2 - Wow, even power hungry planars? Yep!
Might try out the 600ohm T1s or the super inefficient Hifiman Arya but i suspect those are outside the limits of this tiny dongle.

I've been sticking to the None preset though, i find the EQ and ATE profiles seem to apply a veil to the sound.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,095 of 2,329
Some say the S1's 120mW@32Ω output at 4.4mm balanced (and/or its high output impedance) might be too much for sensitive IEMs and advocate the need for an attenuator cable. Is this true?

My experience with my Solaris 2020 and Andromeda OGs with 4.4mm cable says otherwise. No hiss whatsoever. With my iBasso DX228, I get hiss, and with the AMP9, I need an attenuator to make it bearable, but the S1 is silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back