Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jun 21, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #406 of 2,329
Me too sometimes don't want to carry DAP, so just dongle and phone.
Even if S1 is not placed at the back of my phone, there will be interference when I'm commuting, ie at places where there are lots of cellular data transmission.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #407 of 2,329
Initial impression of the S1....Impressive!

Very melodic, reasonable soundstage (just nice for my ears) and punchy bass (am a basshead :ksc75smile:).
Unsure whether analytical is a correct term to add in as it does pick up some external sounds like flipping of page/adjustments of instruments or sort of when hearing Yiruma's Golden Songs with KIWA Live (MQA) from Tidal.

Besides, am hearing from local files stored in my iPhone via Onkyo HF player. Sample rate is accurate per the file but I do noticed the bit depth is always at 32b although is playing CD quality files and 24/96Khz file.

Anyone came across this? Or only mine has this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
As discussed before on this thread :relaxed: the bit depth is a function of what the payer software sends to the DAC not necessarily the format of the source file. It appear the Onkyo player is sending 16 bit and 24 bit source material in the most significant bits of 32 bit samples. This is for most use case the best possible behavior.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #408 of 2,329
S1 arrived today :) Great sound from this little device!

So far, I haven't detected any interference noise when connected to my iPhone. However I can hear an ever so slight hiss with my Solaris 2020 IEM, but its really faint. Lower hiss than my ZX507 DAP. I thought it might be my iPhone causing the noise but I tested it running off a PC, iPad and ZX507 and it was the same. No big deal, its barely noticeable.

It feels sturdy and very well built. Love the design. Super easy to use. Tried some of the effects and liked ‘Headphones’ probably the best, but I prefer to keep it on 'None' for my OCD's sake.

High gain is potent. With the Solaris, even volume 1 is too loud for me lol...

Very happy with the purchase. I was close to cancelling my order after reading all the reports of interference noise, but so far so good and it's handy to use 4.4mm cables with my phone/iPad and Tidal :)
FDA0AC5B-1D2C-420D-8470-5E3D60BB4549.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #409 of 2,329
So, after some troubles with fedex, here it is, back home. What changed? better soundstage (a bit more open), sub bass has better presence and weight, a bit more power, LESS INTERFERENCE! (It did made a change) if I already loved this little fella, now I’m totally in love of it. More impressions soon

I just back from Romi place and completed the mod by him , all I can say is totally worth it. I just tested 5mins and I decided to do it. The bass is hugh different than before, the vocal and instruments is more separate now. I really like it and enjoy very very much. I really recommend it.
Talked and watched to Romi for the whole process, his skills is really good and he is a very nice guy. Before modification dental was my favorite EQ, but after modification Headphone is my favorite EQ, I am using rei penta with 4.4 jack , the vocal is so stunning. Really hard to explain thru words, no regret at all

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #410 of 2,329
I just back from Romi place and completed the mod by him , all I can say is totally worth it. I just tested 5mins and I decided to do it. The bass is hugh different than before, the vocal and instruments is more separate now. I really like it and enjoy very very much. I really recommend it.
Talked and watched to Romi for the whole process, his skills is really good and he is a very nice guy. Before modification dental was my favorite EQ, but after modification Headphone is my favorite EQ, I am using rei penta with 4.4 jack , the vocal is so stunning. Really hard to explain thru words, no regret at all

same thing, i just dont use eq since im more of a "let the music talk" guy but daaamn, as you, i found the bass to be astonishing, wm1a users are going to kill me, but i feel this little dongle is on par in sound quality, details and bass. funnily both suffer from "smallish soundstage" syndrome but its totally compensated by the astonishing quality. cannot wait for the mqa and if the guys from lotoo could give us some sort of eq personalization, i just would love to be able to tame a 2khz peak i get from my 2go headphones (imr r1z) but even that i can let pass, right now listening to

as any other brand, if lotoo sees future on this device, in a year we'll see a follow up with some improvements, which would be very welcome in the future, for a first design, i think they hit it out of the park. more with Romi's mod

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #411 of 2,329
same thing, i just dont use eq since im more of a "let the music talk" guy but daaamn, as you, i found the bass to be astonishing, wm1a users are going to kill me, but i feel this little dongle is on par in sound quality, details and bass. funnily both suffer from "smallish soundstage" syndrome but its totally compensated by the astonishing quality. cannot wait for the mqa and if the guys from lotoo could give us some sort of eq personalization, i just would love to be able to tame a 2khz peak i get from my 2go headphones (imr r1z) but even that i can let pass, right now listening to

as any other brand, if lotoo sees future on this device, in a year we'll see a follow up with some improvements, which would be very welcome in the future, for a first design, i think they hit it out of the park. more with Romi's mod

Is there a manual somewhere regards that Romi’s mode ? I don’t feel need to spend same amount of money and re-ship it back to asia .. :/

Jun 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #413 of 2,329
Can he send you pictures of the internal components before and after the modification so we can all have an idea, and may go forward with his service.
Can you ask him? Cheers.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #418 of 2,329
Hey guys, I joined the PAW S1 club. 🙂 That means less playtime for my Chord Mojo and Hugo 2. And probably none anymore for my Ikko Zerda dongle...
The form factor is so awesome! I love holding it in my hand and it's just light enough to have it "dongle" around without having to worry about durability.

Sound quality so far is excellent. I am using low gain with IEM. I don't notice any hiss with my CA Solaris, so Lotoo passed that hurdle. I don't notice any strong change in tonality due to high output impedance either, but I rather have someone else confirm and measure that claim.

Are the presets EQ only? Or do they have some kind of other DSP implementation, like phase filters, crossfeed, etc. If they are EQ only, I can measure them and extract the curves if anyone is interested. But I want to make sure that I am not overlooking anything first.

I have updated to FW 1.0.0.7 but I can't find the FW change log. What has changed?

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #420 of 2,329
Hey guys, I joined the PAW S1 club. 🙂 That means less playtime for my Chord Mojo and Hugo 2. And probably none anymore for my Ikko Zerda dongle...
The form factor is so awesome! I love holding it in my hand and it's just light enough to have it "dongle" around without having to worry about durability.

Sound quality so far is excellent. I am using low gain with IEM. I don't notice any hiss with my CA Solaris, so Lotoo passed that hurdle. I don't notice any strong change in tonality due to high output impedance either, but I rather have someone else confirm and measure that claim.

Are the presets EQ only? Or do they have some kind of other DSP implementation, like phase filters, crossfeed, etc. If they are EQ only, I can measure them and extract the curves if anyone is interested. But I want to make sure that I am not overlooking anything first.

I have updated to FW 1.0.0.7 but I can't find the FW change log. What has changed?
Latest firmware :

PAW S1 Firmware 1.0.0.6 (2020-05-28)

Major updates:

• New function: Addition of USB Audio Class 1.0 (UAC1) mode
    It operates in USB Audio Class 1.0 mode by connecting the USB cable while pressing the + button. You can use PAW S1 on Windows before Windows 10 (1703), Android terminals, game consoles, etc. that only support USB Audio Class 1.0.
    In USB Audio Class 1.0 mode, the supported format is 16bit/48kHz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back