Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
May 22, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #61 of 2,329
They only mentioned it comes with PMEQ and ATE presets, they never said it is capable of doing the actual Parametric EQ adjustment and saving PMEQ presets, right? How would you even adjust it on a tiny screen like that with such limited controls. Unless, if they can make an app to do PMEQ adjustments remotely and save it on S1. But they didn't promise that either. I know, wishful thinking, just like I wish they would have BT Wireless connection :)

At least to me, and I suspect most people, PMEQ doesn't mean "you can cycle through a bunch of presets" it means it has a usable parametric equalizer..... Especially in the context of Lotoo, who has been selling all of their products with the same ATE/PMEQ system for 5+ years. Just emailed them to see if they intend to support the export/import system they have with their other devices, don't see why they wouldn't.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #62 of 2,329
For those considering charging phone + Lotoo Paw S1
20200523_094513.jpg
Screenshot_20200523-093354_Samsung Internet.jpg

May 23, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #67 of 2,329
So after half a dozen hours of use : @bflat was right, around 7% battery drain per hour with low gain and volume 50.
That's pretty good IMHO.

Can someone who own mojo and paw s1 can compare sound quality? My impresion is that lotoo sounds better...please tell me if i’m wrong

I have owned Mojo for a long while and not anymore but even if I love the S1 I think Mojo is logically a step better in pure technicalities, even from memory that's pretty clear to me. Now tuning wise, the S1 has more treble energy and overall more punch. Mojo is smoother to me. I'll let those who can actually A/B confirm. The fact that we're comparing to much pricier and bigger form factor sources shows that Lotoo delivered a winner IMHO.

Yup...I noticed. Wondered if it was some sort of upsampling or something else happening.

Bitrate are accurate, but bit depth seems to be stuck at 32bits indeed.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #69 of 2,329
Loving mine, but it is not a clear step up from Cobalt, which is sweeter and a bit more reference sounding to these ears, bass is more on S1 and i like the tuning a lot, great product and thanks to Andrew @musictek again👍

May 23, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #72 of 2,329
Sound impressions - unfortunately I have never listened to a Lotoo source before so can't comment on similarities there. However, I think the tonality of the S1 is similar to what Sony does - more organic and fluid versus sharp and technical. Not talking night and day difference but I think it's fair to say the S1 goes with more musical than technical. As for a more apples to apples comparison with DFR here are my comparisons:
  • DFR has more sub bass and top end sparkle. However, I wouldn't say that's a good thing unless you want a "U" shaped FR. S1 is more neutral which gives a better balance to the mids.
  • Sound stage is pretty decent on the S1. You get nice 3 dimensional sound, but smaller overall than higher end devices. DFR on the other hand is very intimate and pretty much just 2 dimensional.
Now here is the interesting thing - the above notes are playing compressed AAC files because that's how I intend to use the S1 with Apple Music and Netflix. Honestly on the DFR I can't tell the difference with AAC or lossless most of the time. With S1, when I tried with my lossless library and bit perfect player (Audirvana), it's like I'm listening to a different device. Everything is just more:
  • Sub bass goes really deep with control and texture.
  • Mids get a touch more detail in the upper frequencies
  • Highs get more separation and detail, but still remain organic
So in brief, the S1 most definitely scales with better player software (bit perfect) and lossless files. I think the player software is the bigger driver though. I would highly recommend folks give this a try with a premium player - JRiver, Audirvana, Roon, Foobar, etc. If Lotoo eventually provides an ASIO driver for Windows, even better.

S1 is the best dongle I've owned so far with COZOY Aegis and DFR being the other 2 and still have those. I am a fan of dongles for the ease of use and negligible drain on portable device batteries. When you consider cost, S1 blows away the competition. I'm curious how the Cobalt compares but at 2X the price I can't imagine the performance ratio is better.

May 23, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #74 of 2,329
The output sample bit rate is not always accurate. For example when playing 24/192 will show 32/192.
Anyone else noticed?
i have also noticed the info differing from that displayed on my source. Bitrate seems to always display "32b"
I noticed no difference after the firmware update. Sample rate seems to be correct.

May 23, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #75 of 2,329
Sound impressions - unfortunately I have never listened to a Lotoo source before so can't comment on similarities there. However, I think the tonality of the S1 is similar to what Sony does - more organic and fluid versus sharp and technical. Not talking night and day difference but I think it's fair to say the S1 goes with more musical than technical. As for a more apples to apples comparison with DFR here are my comparisons:
  • DFR has more sub bass and top end sparkle. However, I wouldn't say that's a good thing unless you want a "U" shaped FR. S1 is more neutral which gives a better balance to the mids.
  • Sound stage is pretty decent on the S1. You get nice 3 dimensional sound, but smaller overall than higher end devices. DFR on the other hand is very intimate and pretty much just 2 dimensional.
Now here is the interesting thing - the above notes are playing compressed AAC files because that's how I intend to use the S1 with Apple Music and Netflix. Honestly on the DFR I can't tell the difference with AAC or lossless most of the time. With S1, when I tried with my lossless library and bit perfect player (Audirvana), it's like I'm listening to a different device. Everything is just more:
  • Sub bass goes really deep with control and texture.
  • Mids get a touch more detail in the upper frequencies
  • Highs get more separation and detail, but still remain organic
So in brief, the S1 most definitely scales with better player software (bit perfect) and lossless files. I think the player software is the bigger driver though. I would highly recommend folks give this a try with a premium player - JRiver, Audirvana, Roon, Foobar, etc. If Lotoo eventually provides an ASIO driver for Windows, even better.

S1 is the best dongle I've owned so far with COZOY Aegis and DFR being the other 2 and still have those. I am a fan of dongles for the ease of use and negligible drain on portable device batteries. When you consider cost, S1 blows away the competition. I'm curious how the Cobalt compares but at 2X the price I can't imagine the performance ratio is better.
I just got done with a 40 minute S1 vs DFR comparison, also compressed AAC out of iphone as that is where I use this setup when not bringing a DAP, and I agree with your comparisons. I would say the DFR probably only has 20-30 hours on it having had a DFB prior to it, so in that sense a fairly fair comparison hours wise maybe, and for my money the S1 kind of wiped the floor with the DFR. It is a taste thing for sure, but the DFR is thin/glassy stiff in my mind; very linear across the whole spectrum and as such easy to lose the plot with a dash to top-end sparkle thrown in as you say. I appreciated the DFR's accuracy and top end sparkle vs. the DFB maybe but it doesn't come close to overall balance and musicality of the S1 where the mids come in real well and the bass stands out nicely below that. The highs are more integrated with the upper mids but that works for me as I tend to like this approach generally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back