Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #2,176 of 2,329
Damn it. I'm probably going to have to get this now 😑 More for the improved functionality than any of the other "upgrades".

What headphones are people using this with that you with moar power? I've never, ever needed to go above 60 on high gain. I mean, it's a dongle. You guys and your obsession with power output is a little weird to me.
There are other demanding headphones you know. My work is done with the HIby FC3, doesn't mean the same for others. Planar magnetics need plenty to reach their max potential.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #2,177 of 2,329
There are other demanding headphones you know. My work is done with the HIby FC3, doesn't mean the same for others. Planar magnetics need plenty to reach their max potential.

Oh sure, I understand that. I meant in the application of use with a dongle, though. Maybe there are chaps out there taking their Abyss 1266s on the commute to work...

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #2,178 of 2,329
Oh sure, I understand that. I meant in the application of use with a dongle, though. Maybe there are chaps out there taking their Abyss 1266s on the commute to work...
Guy at my office brings his Sundara everyday.

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,179 of 2,329

Yeah, I use the FC3 with my iPhone for Apple Music and the lower power is actually a feature due to the limited current capability. I have never once felt that I needed more power with my IEMs. Obviously, I didn't buy it for my HD6XX...

But the S2 looks tempting.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,180 of 2,329
There is one big improvement some might have missed, S2 will have Play/Pause/Skip functionality for remote control of the playback.

Regarding output power, makes me wonder if it is kept intentionally lower to avoid issues with iPhone compatibility due to current sourcing limitation. For example, at max volume W2 will source almost 160mA from iPhone and the power will be cut off, while at normal listening volume it is around 120-130mA which creates issues with some IEMs at volume over 70. Again, iPhone ONLY limitation. It's a simple math, higher power output means higher current draw from your phone battery since these dongles don't have built-in battery. So, with a higher power you are either draining phone battery faster or creating issues with iPhone compatibility. If you need to drive demanding headphone, dongles are not the way to go :D

Will have to check out how S2 compares to S1 and W2 once I have it.

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2,181 of 2,329
There is one big improvement some might have missed, S2 will have Play/Pause/Skip functionality for remote control of the playback.

Regarding output power, makes me wonder if it is kept intentionally lower to avoid issues with iPhone compatibility due to current sourcing limitation. For example, at max volume W2 will source almost 160mA from iPhone and the power will be cut off, while at normal listening volume it is around 120-130mA which creates issues with some IEMs at volume over 70. Again, iPhone ONLY limitation. It's a simple math, higher power output means higher current draw from your phone battery since these dongles don't have built-in battery. So, with a higher power you are either draining phone battery faster or creating issues with iPhone compatibility. If you need to drive demanding headphone, dongles are not the way to go :D

Well explained👍

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,182 of 2,329

How do you say that at max vol s2 will draw 160mA from iphone. Can you explain?

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,183 of 2,329
He is referring to the current drawn by the W2, not by the S2.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,184 of 2,329

W2 does, not S1. S2 was just announced. Nobody has seen or heard it yet :)

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #2,189 of 2,329
It's truly big brother of s1/S2. Any comments?

The jury is still out if S2 will be a big brother or a big sister :D But seriously, it was only announced last night. We only seen the picture and no impressions yet. S1 is on par with W1, W2 is a step up in sound quality. S2, will find out soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back