1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by EagleWings, Mar 28, 2018.
First

Back
89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98
100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109
Next

Last
  1. damytzeus
    yup. i didn't understand the issue. thank you.

2. cooperpwc
    I have never been a big believer (or especially a disbeliever) in burn in. But I may be a convert now. The LPGT sound is opening up. It sounds just wonderful with my Final Audio Lab 1.

This DAP is a detail monster. I am hearing more tiny touches than ever before. This is one of the most noticeable differences from my LPG. The latter is no slouch, but little things (like clarity in backing vocals) are standing out. Quite impressive.

The one thing I miss is the oft-commented loss of that sub-bass rumble that the LPG enjoyed. I have been playing incessantly with the PMEQ to replace that. Early efforts bled too much into the mid-bass. Initial excitement with the sound quickly grew old; I want to preserve the balanced sound of the LPGT from bottom up. Here is an interesting failure using 4 bands (itself the best of many iterations):

Band - Type - F0(Hz) - GAIN(dB) - Q
    1 - BPF - 75 - 1.0 - 1.0
    2 - BPF - 150 - 0.5 - 1.0
    3 - BPF - 220 - 0.2 - 1.0
    4 - BPF - 250 - 0.1 - 1.0

^FAIL^

And here is the 3 band PMEQ that I have arrived at. This operates lower in the bass frequencies and works beautifully:

Band - Type - F0(Hz) - GAIN(dB) - Q
    1 - BPF - 50 - 1.3 - 1.0
    2 - BPF - 75 - 0.9 - 1.0
    3 - BPF - 90 - 0.1 - 1.0

My goal has been one setting that I can use all the time with the Lab 1 (which is my favourite IEM). This goal of this PMEQ setting is for it to become part of the sound signature of the LPGT, so it has to be acceptable with even extreme songs. I tried lots of small variations. For example, Gain of 1.6 in Band 1 and 1.2 in Band 2 works with the majority of my songs, but smells the house out with a minority of more bassy offerings. Not acceptable. I came quickly to feel that it was artificial across the board.

Gain of 1.4 in Band 1 and 1.0 in Band 2 works, but feels like it is just starting to push the envelope towards unnatural. A setting of 1.2 / 0.8 (Bands 1 & 2) is fine, much better than PMEQ OFF, but it feels like a missed opportunity, a bit too safe. The 1.3 /0.9 above is perfect to my ear. It is adding back that low rumble in a manner that is effortless and natural. The LPGT sounds just right, actually fantastic.

(Some may think that these 0.1 dB variations do not matter, but they really do when you are enhancing the sound of a DAP that already has such excellent balance and clarity.)

I have named the above setting "ON". I then created a "My scheme" named Lab 1 that simply has ON and OFF settings. :) This user- programmable flexibility is one of the great features of the LPGT OS.

ON small.jpg

This ON setting may be specific to my Lab 1 IEM, but I think that it also may have more universal application. I also do not assume that it cannot be improved upon. I welcome thoughts, feedback and, certainly, other potentially better settings!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    parabellum777, gazzington and Nayparm like this.
  3. Nayparm
    Not so suttle on mine :L3000:

type="BPF" gain="7" freq="33" Q="0.5"
    type="BPF" gain="-9" freq="250" Q="0.5"
    type="BPF" gain="-2.2" freq="1000" Q="0.1"
    type="BPF" gain="-4" freq="3000" Q="0.5"
    type="BPF" gain="5" freq="16000" Q="0.4"

gazzington and cooperpwc like this.
  4. cooperpwc
    Yep, that is quite a bit more extreme. This is the subtle slope of my ON setting:

ON Freq small.jpg

Nayparm likes this.
  5. Nayparm
    I use the same peq setting accros all my daps.

Heres a screenshot of my mountain range from Neutron.

Screenshot_2019-08-17-11-31-22-725_com.neutroncode.mp.jpg

jmills8 likes this.
  6. jmills8
    + sub bass

Nayparm likes this.
  7. Nayparm
    For sure :L3000:

jmills8 likes this.
  8. Nayparm
    I think PEQ in my case stands for Poor Ear Quality :ksc75smile: :L3000:

9. Nayparm
    Its those sub bass frequencies i can't get a cowon to do :frowning2:

jmills8 likes this.
  10. cooperpwc
    I assure you that I will try your PEQ. Should be interesting, if not necessarily my style. EQ settings are like digital photos. Indulge; they’re free. :)

Nayparm likes this.
  11. jmills8
    Thats why I use an Arrow amp which will boost only the sub bass plus I use the th900.

Nayparm likes this.
  12. Nayparm
    I need a gym freindly TH900 - Come on fostex!

jmills8 likes this.
  13. jmills8
    Aurisonics 2.5 iem.

Nayparm likes this.
  14. Nayparm
    My Poor Ear Quality also extends to being incompatible with IEMs :triportsad:

jmills8 likes this.
  15. cooperpwc
    I do hope that they fix the problem with gapless and ALAC MP4 files. FLAC gapless works perfectly so mostly I am good. But I have some ALAC files too. The pop during song transitions is rather annoying.

On the positive, the sound keeps opening up. I guess I am over 50 hours now. Maybe 100? My LPGT is sounding great.

People don't talk much about the PLL asynchronous USB DAC, but that is one of the most impressive features of the LPGT IMO. At my computer, I listen from Foobar and it sounds just as good as from the SD card to my ears. YouTube videos render wonderfully too, especially those of better quality. I still have not used it to watch downloaded movies but I will.

PMEQ being available in USB DAC mode is a big bonus!

Of course, XRC is available too. But actually I rarely use that feature on the LPGT. Everyone says such great things about it, as in no downside to leave it on. But, oddly, it collapses the holographic sound stage on my Lab 1. I get razor sharp pinpoint placement within a narrow front-to-back plane within my head. This sounds great with some electronic music, but the 3-dimensional imaging of the Lab 1 is one of its best qualities so I usually leave XRC off.

(I do believe that this XRC effect may be relatively unique to the Lab 1, a no-crossover (dual balanced armature), 3D-printed, laser-fused, titanium 64 IEM that is a bit dark in its presentation and which does strange magical things inside my head.)

EDIT: Actually only my FLAC Images + CUE sheet play properly gapless. The gapless does not work properly on any individual files. It needs some work, and I expect that Lotoo are working on it.

EDIT 2: The problem with XRC upsampling is also there with my Westone ES5, which are an excellent but more conventional 5-BA IEM. XRC is terrible. Leave it off.

More to follow soon about this wonderful DAP.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Nayparm likes this.
First

Back
89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98
100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109
Next

Last