Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Sep 22, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #601 of 3,516
It makes sense if they flash different firmware for different countries if they have plans to support country specific streaming services, which I believe Lotoo had hinted at but not promised?

Bluetooth DAC will be the way to go, stream on your phone, play wireless on LPGT when paired up.

But I'm also curious how they will be able to distinguish units sold in mainland China vs outside if/when fw is a downloadable file. Maybe there will be some hardware embedded id bit or something.

I know with LPG Diane it was a special edition only upgradeable when you send it in to JDS/Abyss guys in US. Here it's more of a regional fw upgrade. Just want people to be aware of what I heard.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #602 of 3,516
Bluetooth DAC will be the way to go, stream on your phone, play wireless on LPGT when paired up.

But I'm also curious how they will be able to distinguish units sold in mainland China vs outside if/when fw is a downloadable file. Maybe there will be some hardware embedded id bit or something.

I know with LPG Diane it was a special edition only upgradeable when you send it in to JDS/Abyss guys in US. Here it's more of a regional fw upgrade. Just want people to be aware of what I heard.

I know about BT streaming - I'm one of earliest person to say quite loudly that it is not practical for DAPs to implement native streaming app support for streaming services and thus DAPs don't really need WiFI. However Lotoo had put a WiFI chip in the Paw Touch and I believe they had hinted they may add native streaming app support before, so this move to have different firmware for different regions makes sense.

It shouldn't be too hard for them to differentiate between different regions if they just put in some sort of identification code in the device's boot record, similar to how Sony does it and a quite check of the firmware installer could prevent people from flashing a different firmware from a different country on the device.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #603 of 3,516
I know about BT streaming - I'm one of earliest person to say quite loudly that it is not practical for DAPs to implement native streaming app support for streaming services and thus DAPs don't really need WiFI. However Lotoo had put a WiFI chip in the Paw Touch and I believe they had hinted they may add native streaming app support before, so this move to have different firmware for different regions makes sense.

It shouldn't be too hard for them to differentiate between different regions if they just put in some sort of identification code in the device's boot record, similar to how Sony does it and a quite check of the firmware installer could prevent people from flashing a different firmware from a different country on the device.

What is the purpose of Sony doing that? For volume limitation or something else?

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #604 of 3,516
It doesn't make sense two have different versions, since people mentioned that the chinese version has English in the menu, however we shall see an international release next month.
Hopefully won't see significant delays since this the only music player i like apart from the Tera Player.

Just to clarify, there was English menu at beginning but disappeared after several update.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #605 of 3,516
What is the purpose of Sony doing that? For volume limitation or something else?
Volume limitations is just an excuse. I think Sony does this to restrict the sale and grey market transactions to differentiate different regions. It is more like protection for the dealers, but less convenience for the customers

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #606 of 3,516
Volume limitations is just an excuse. I think Sony does this to restrict the sale and grey market transactions to differentiate different regions. It is more like protection for the dealers, but less convenience for the customers

It isn't an excuse. Volume limitation is a legal requirement in the EU.

Just because the boutique players dodges it by playing dumb and not implementing it, Sony is too big of a target to try to play the same trick, as we all know EU is much harder on big companies (which they should be - bigger power comes with bigger responsibility and all that).

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #607 of 3,516
It isn't an excuse. Volume limitation is a legal requirement in the EU.

Just because the boutique players dodges it by playing dumb and not implementing it, Sony is too big of a target to try to play the same trick, as we all know EU is much harder on big companies (which they should be - bigger power comes with bigger responsibility and all that).
I know this, but what I am saying is that Sony is restricting it sale regional to protect dealers. See, Sony in Japan doesn’t have volume limitations, but it comes as domestic (Japanese only) or traveling version (international). For the exception of international versions, it gets to be warranty serviced everywhere in any country, but you have to buy in Japan and from authorized dealers. Everything else is regional limitations, and then Volume regulation is another icing on the cake for their excuses

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #610 of 3,516
Is anyone aware of the 5500 Mha battery used inside the LPGT, if is easy replaceable? I just discovered a fantastic battery manufacturer from Germany that makes high quality ones. Just bought one from them and replaced the one inside the D955.
If i buy this portable music player i want to use it for as long as possible.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #611 of 3,516
Can some one clear me up on the uhs ii that the new lpgt uses, Can I still use the old microsd card into an adapter and in lpgt after? Or we need to use only the new uhs ii cards? also if I understood correctly need to use the bigger card size not the micro right?

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #613 of 3,516
You can use all different kinds of SD and micro SD cards.

Do we need to use an adapter? if I have a 400 gb micro sd card, they usually add a bigger form adapter is that the size of the card that we input into lotoo? Good to know it all compatible cause I was getting seriously confused lol. I saw that the uhs ii is way faster but expensive and storage is quiet small to.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #614 of 3,516
Sep 23, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #615 of 3,516

Users who are viewing this thread

Back