Lotoo Paw 6000 (2019)
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #646 of 1,457
Unfortunately the Lotoo sorts files specifically by their file names instead of how they're tagged. You must rename your music files and number them in order by placing a "." after the number otherwise playback with those files will be corrupted and out of order.
I just really hope a new firmware fixes this, as it seems to me such a strange oversight.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #647 of 1,457
Could do, but I literally have thousands of albums with this kind of ordering, so it would be tiresome. I'm at a loss as to why the Paw6000 doesn't just read tagged titles instead of file names. It's nuts.

Yeah, we must let Lotoo customer support know immediately so a firmware update would allow the player to read and sort tagging info.
I changed some albums of mine but it's a hassle if you have hundreds of albums needing the correction.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #648 of 1,457
Yeah, we must let Lotoo customer support know immediately so a firmware update would allow the player to read and sort tagging info.
I changed some albums of mine but it's a hassle if you have hundreds of albums needing the correction.
I'm dropping them a line with a list of simple fixes they could make in the next firmware. All of my issues are minor, but they get in the way of the basic user experience.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #651 of 1,457
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #654 of 1,457
Got the Paw 6000 (after being hit with a massive customs charge). Some initial observations:

1. A "genre" selection is very much needed on the main page. I thought I could get around this with the folder option, but that's cumbersome.
2. The PEQ is indeed very good, but limited by the three filters. I would at least like to see a peak filter in next firmware.
3. Accessing and tweaking PEQ is fiddly. I knew that in advance, but the extent to which it's actually counter-intuitive is remarkable. Needs to be streamlined.
4. One annoyance in the EQ - you can't see below 75hz on the edit screen even though you can edit down to 10hz or lower.
5. When selecting an album, you're shown the name of the file instead of the song. Annoying and unnecessary.
6. To make it worse, you can't even seem to play an album in order! For example, if the filer names are numbered as "The Ritual [1]," "The Ritual [2]," "The Ritual [10]," then it'll play tracks 1, 10, and then 2. That's madness. Is there a workaround for this?

I'll be back with sound impressions vis-a-vis the WM1A. If anyone can help with point 6 in particular, I'd be grateful.

Oh wow! Thanks for these impressions. Really curious about your comparisons to the WM1A. Could you please elaborate a bit non only on the sound impressions but also on usability and UI & UX as you did a bit in your initial observations?

Many thanks!

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #655 of 1,457
Got the Paw 6000 (after being hit with a massive customs charge). Some initial observations:

1. A "genre" selection is very much needed on the main page. I thought I could get around this with the folder option, but that's cumbersome.
2. The PEQ is indeed very good, but limited by the three filters. I would at least like to see a peak filter in next firmware.
3. Accessing and tweaking PEQ is fiddly. I knew that in advance, but the extent to which it's actually counter-intuitive is remarkable. Needs to be streamlined.
4. One annoyance in the EQ - you can't see below 75hz on the edit screen even though you can edit down to 10hz or lower.
5. When selecting an album, you're shown the name of the file instead of the song. Annoying and unnecessary.
6. To make it worse, you can't even seem to play an album in order! For example, if the filer names are numbered as "The Ritual [1]," "The Ritual [2]," "The Ritual [10]," then it'll play tracks 1, 10, and then 2. That's madness. Is there a workaround for this?

I'll be back with sound impressions vis-a-vis the WM1A. If anyone can help with point 6 in particular, I'd be grateful.

I use MusicBee to sync to my MicroSD card. It allows you to set a file naming scheme for the sync which helps ensure the tracks are in order on the player. It also will automatically resize artwork to your preferred dimensions (480px) and embed the art which this player seems to like. MusicBee is free and supports large libraries.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #656 of 1,457
Unfortunately the Lotoo sorts files specifically by their file names instead of how they're tagged. You must rename your music files and number them in order by placing a "." after the number otherwise playback with those files will be corrupted and out of order.
I just really hope a new firmware fixes this, as it seems to me such a strange oversight.

I disagree that this is an oversight. This is the protocol in Foobar and many other high-end music players. When you rip files, you put numbers in front of the track file names. That way you do not have to put numbers in the tags, which are for viewing on the play screen. I would not hold your breath waiting for them to break the sorting system.

As for putting the numbers after the file name, I never heard of that before. Interesting.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #657 of 1,457
I disagree that this is an oversight. This is the protocol in Foobar and many other high-end music players. When you rip files, you put numbers in front of the track file names. That way you do not have to put numbers in the tags, which are for viewing on the play screen. I would not hold your breath waiting for them to break the sorting system.

As for putting the numbers after the file name, I never heard of that before. Interesting.
Ok but I have 16tb of music in either FLAC, WAV, or DSD format all tagged in MP3Tag and then scanned into Roon. It's literally taken me years to amass. Of course, of that only 512gb or at most 1TB will be on the player, but it's still a hassle.

What I find especially confusing is that it seems the Looto can acutely read tags - because the song listed when it's playing is the tagged song. But when the files are being read within the album's folder, then it's by file name. Is there was a logic to it, I wouldn't mind.

The numbers after file names are mostly 24/192 vinyl rips.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #659 of 1,457

No I meant that you did have to put the numbers before the filename and Lotoo owners should put a " . " after the number so the Lotoo can sort and read the file correctly. When I was a new owner of my Lotoo, I found that music files that weren't properly numbered the way I mentioned were corrupted when the Lotoo tries to sort and process the file for playback, I had whole albums of APE files that wouldn't play unless I did the correction, the Lotoo would also make new sperate albums from a few songs that were pulled from their original albums and the album name would be the name of the corrupted file and files in the original album would be out of alignment (track would skip to the next one) when played.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #660 of 1,457
Ok but I have 16tb of music in either FLAC, WAV, or DSD format all tagged in MP3Tag and then scanned into Roon. It's literally taken me years to amass. Of course, of that only 512gb or at most 1TB will be on the player, but it's still a hassle.

What I find especially confusing is that it seems the Looto can acutely read tags - because the song listed when it's playing is the tagged song. But when the files are being read within the album's, then it's by file name. Is there was a logic to it, I wouldn't mind.

The numbers after file names are mostly 24/192 vinyl rips.

I agree with you. I find that method of sorting tracks exceptionally annoying, forcing me to either essentially shuffle tracks or edit every track title. Artist and album come up fine from the metadata, so I don't understand why the track titles can't be provided that way as well. For the majority of my albums, track order matters very much to me.

No I meant that you did have to put the numbers before the filename and Lotoo owners should put a " . " after the number so the Lotoo can sort and read the file correctly. When I was a new owner of my Lotoo, I found that music files that weren't properly numbered the way I mentioned were corrupted when the Lotoo tries to sort and process the file for playback, I had whole albums of APE files that wouldn't play unless I did the correction, the Lotoo would also make new sperate albums from a few songs that were pulled from their original albums and the album name would be the name of the corrupted file and files in the original album would be out of alignment (track would skip to the next one) when played.

I've been naming tracks like "01 Sample," "14 Example," and so far it has worked fine with FLAC. Are you suggested something like "01.Sample" instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back